By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD December numbers

"The 360 did just great. Why? It sold more than the Wii and PS3 COMBINED in December. That's pretty dang good. Will it do that next month?" Thats not a big feat. If both systems were in abundance as soon as they launched then there would be a more accurate way to gauge. In addition due to the limited supplies, ebay resellers, price hikes and bundles have stopped J6P from picking up the PS3's on launch and the wii.... well hell I have yet to get mine yet and I am pretty sure millions of people still feel that way. And I do mean millions.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

Around the Network

The sum of NA+UE+Japan+Australia usually gives you 96% of the market . Make the proof with PS2 .106 million units sold . Europe:40 NA:40 Japan:21 Australia:3 Total in these markets =104 . Sadly South Africa ,South America ,Hong Kong and the others you cited dount count . Second ,European Union countries . UE has 27 countries right now .Rumania and Bulgaria just entered ,and another additional 10 of the East Europe (former communist Europe ) some 2 years ago .Well ,those 12 countries dont count ...they simply dont have official distribution and their income per capita is very low ...some of their elites must be buying some imported consoles but the numbers for those are already accounted in the main 15 countries core of the UE .From those 15 countries you have 5 big countries ;UK (that includes Ireland and Scottland mind you ) ,Germany ,France ,Spain and Italy .The others are just plain small ....Greece , Holland ,Belgium ,Swizterland ,Lichstestein ,Denmark ,Andorra and the others are most of them not even 6 million(and some only some thousands as Lichstein and Andorra ) people and their videogame market isnt very developed in other cases .Portugal, Greece and Austria would be middle-sized countries but in the best scenario just a 25% of the others as France or Spain . For the later years the data has been that UK signifies some 40% of the UE market ,with 20% going to Germany ,18% to France ,7 % for Spain ,7% to Italy ...that would live the remaining 7% for the other countries ...and it makes sense ...between Greece,Portual ,Austria and Holland they must be equal to one of the big markets (Italy or Spain ) and the real tiny ones(andorra ,malta ,lichestein ) dont account for nearly nothing .

Diomedes1976 said: The sum of NA+UE+Japan+Australia usually gives you 96% of the market . Make the proof with PS2 .106 million units sold . Europe:40 NA:40 Japan:21 Australia:3 Total in these markets =104 . Sadly South Africa ,South America ,Hong Kong and the others you cited dount count . Second ,European Union countries . UE has 27 countries right now .Rumania and Bulgaria just entered ,and another additional 10 of the East Europe (former communist Europe ) some 2 years ago .Well ,those 12 countries dont count ...they simply dont have official distribution and their income per capita is very low ...some of their elites must be buying some imported consoles but the numbers for those are already accounted in the main 15 countries core of the UE .From those 15 countries you have 5 big countries ;UK (that includes Ireland and Scottland mind you ) ,Germany ,France ,Spain and Italy .The others are just plain small ....Greece , Holland ,Belgium ,Swizterland ,Lichstestein ,Denmark ,Andorra and the others are most of them not even 6 million(and some only some thousands as Lichstein and Andorra ) people and their videogame market isnt very developed in other cases .Portugal, Greece and Austria would be middle-sized countries but in the best scenario just a 25% of the others as France or Spain . For the later years the data has been that UK signifies some 40% of the UE market ,with 20% going to Germany ,18% to France ,7 % for Spain ,7% to Italy ...that would live the remaining 7% for the other countries ...and it makes sense ...between Greece,Portual ,Austria and Holland they must be equal to one of the big markets (Italy or Spain ) and the real tiny ones(andorra ,malta ,lichestein ) dont account for nearly nothing .
Ok, I'm not an expert in any way, and I have no idea how much the ps2 has sold... but didnt sony say they have sold 120 million ps2? (I could be way off :p).. but wouldnt that mean that you are trying to say there are 14 million ps2 laying around in stores around the world? That seems ridiculous to me... but well... I don't have any real numbers... are those 106 million units sold worldwide official numbers?

mrstickball said: I don't get some people. The 360 did just great. Why? It sold more than the Wii and PS3 COMBINED in December. That's pretty dang good. Will it do that next month? I'm primarily interested in how well software for all the systems did - what is the tie ratio now for Wii and PS3? How much software did the 360 sell (easily over 3m?) As for the Worldwide sales, this December, you people are moaning about sales in Europe being mediocre. Lets look at it this way: US : 1.1m+ Units Sold ( we don't have an actually exact number, is it 1.19m or is it 1.10m?) Europe: ? (How much? Could easily be 600k or more) Japan: 100k+ Other Markets: 250k or so? Everyone keeps forgetting the other markets. The markets are: Austrailia South Korea Hong Kong Taiwan South America South Africa Yes, they might not be big markets, but for some reason no one ever considers any of those markets. Why? The PS3 isn't in Austrailia, so it's just Wii and 360....And the 360 already sold over 100k by the Summer. Could it be upto 200k or more after December? Also, MS reported (yes MS), that it expected to hit 1m units in the UK for the 360, and nearly 700k in France. Thats 1.7m units in just 2 European countries - What about the other 20? Couldn't they atleast double that number?
You're speculating now. Guessing what they may, or may not sell in certain regions. The facts are only: US, Canada, Japan, Austrilia, England, (maybe France) can be trsuted to have accurate sales information. The information you just display is no doubt the shipped information for that country from M$. If I believed that, I would have to believe PSP sold 20 million units by the summer, when the sales figures seem to indicate that didn't happen till winter, that is a really big difference. Update here. NPD accounts for USA AND CANADA. This is from NPDs site istelf, they also account for online sales from retailers. http://www.npd.com/entertainment-retail-tracking-service.html If you want to argue about software sales PS2 still sells more than everyone else worldwide. Even the software sales from the last month show according to NPD GoW is one the best title for 360 (really the only one at the moment, and CoD3). But Guitar Hero II, FFXII, Madden on PS2, Legend of Zelda TP, all performed very well. Along with DS titles.

I dont remember hearing 120 million PS2 sold . In any case ,the numbers I did put were the official ones when it was 106 sold worlwide .

Around the Network

Alvar said: Ok, I'm not an expert in any way, and I have no idea how much the ps2 has sold... but didnt sony say they have sold 120 million ps2? (I could be way off :p).. but wouldnt that mean that you are trying to say there are 14 million ps2 laying around in stores around the world? That seems ridiculous to me... but well... I don't have any real numbers... are those 106 million units sold worldwide official numbers?
I'm not sure either. But it's entirely fessible. (I believe all Sony, Nintendo, M$, all count replacement units as units shipped in their totals. They wouldn't be reported in the retailers reports and could make up for such a difference somewhat) In warehouses, on store shelves, at distribution centers. Worldwide, sure. It's a widely ordered product, it's not impossible for it to have inventory stored up. A lot of electronics manufacturers (Sony for instance, according to an investor report has 6-8 weeks worth of electronic inventory for selling). A lot of manufacturers have such inventory in their own warehouses and distribution centers in various countries. They try to keep that number down, but invariably sometimes they over produce and have to stock it.

Diomedes1976 said: I dont remember hearing 120 million PS2 sold . In any case ,the numbers I did put were the official ones when it was 106 sold worlwide .
I think Sony said "shipped" After this holiday season that would be the number worldwide or round abouts as "shipped"

Storm Prophet - Go back and read what I said about Japan. I said Nintendo OR Sony would have 60-70% of Japan. Whoever is second will have 25-35% of the market. In other words, I think it will go like this Wii - 65% PS3 - 31% 360 - 4% I'm not advocating a 'split' of the 60-70% by Nintendo and Sony.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Stromprophet said: Diomedes1976 said: I dont remember hearing 120 million PS2 sold . In any case ,the numbers I did put were the official ones when it was 106 sold worlwide . I think Sony said "shipped" After this holiday season that would be the number worldwide or round abouts as "shipped"
QFT Japan has a history of one console dominating the market, with the competitors fairly far behind

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Bycha said: We need bunkum in here.
Yes we do. Yes. We. Do...