By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Theory: Miyamoto's New IP Is a FPS and Will Be Shown at E3 2014!

JWeinCom said:
Cobretti2 said:
JWeinCom said:
Cobretti2 said:
JWeinCom said:
I would be disappointed if Nintendo did that. If I was looking for FPS games, I'd buy a PS4, XBone, or invest in a gaming PC. From a business perspective, it's a poor decision. Nintendo has more of an opportunity with Wii Fans, kids, and the Nintendo faithful who still haven't upgraded.

This is exactly why they need to EXPAND their genres so these kids that grow up don't leave the system for others that do have what they want.

Some kids will go to other consoles, some will stop gaming altogether, and some will stay loyal to Nintendo.  The beautiful thing though is that people are always fucking, so there are going to be more kids.  There will always be more non-gamers than gamers.

At this point, Nintendo has a system that's not catching on with much of anyone, while Sony has a system that is strongly resonating with hardcore gamers, and Microsoft has one that is doing well at least in the US.  Neither the XBox One or the PS4 has much in the way of family friendly content or anyting that goes outside the bounds of "hardcore" gaming which is an area Nintendo has always been strong with.

Where then does Nintendo's opportunity lie? If the Wii U is going to be a success, it's not going to be because Nintendo out FPSed two consoles that will be flooded with FPS in two years.  That would require massive resource development, and a complete shift in marketing.  Having Miyamoto, who has consistently shown an ability to connect with casual gamers, work on an FPS would be like hiring Infinity Ward to work on your new dating sim. If the Wii U is going to be a success, they need to reengage the casual market.

Ideally, third party content would fill the gap that Nintendo leaves, but clearly that's not happening. 

The problem is people who can afford gaming are having less and less kids each generation as cost of living goes up (ie. wanting the dream of owning your own house etc,,,).

Errrrr... that's a pretty bold claim... I would need so see something backing them up.

Poor people are the ones populating the planet at an alarming rate.

Poverty is generally in decline worldwide.  In the US poverty spiced during the recession, but has generally been stable.  And poor kids play games.  I work in a school with a poverty rate of about 97%... Those kids love games.

Those are small fries who can't afford to buy games. Also who is to say that gaming won't die out with newer generation of kids?

Gaming will die out with a newer generation of kids if companies like Nintendo don't focus on building up that market.

We are hooked on gaming and they need to retain what they have has a risk mitigation if that were to ever happen.

There is nothing wrong with trying to retain your current gamers and capture new kids.

That's not what people are suggesting though.  People are suggesting that Nintendo go after the "hardcore" audience which is an audience they've never had success for.  In a world of unlimited resources, they could do this, but that's not reality. A few awesome FPS or hardcore games aren't going to be enough and the resources could be better spent attacking an area where Sony and MS are weaker.  

Why do you think Nintendo has been on a decline each gen (apart from Wii and it's blue ocean strategy)? It is because it can't retain its aging gamers. 

But the Wii was the success, so that's what they should be going for.  At any rate without third party support they CAN'T attack Sony and Microsoft on the "hardcore" front, so they'll need to focus on the audience that the others aren't reaching.

1. Well things may be different elsewhere but in Aus the birth rate for the top 2 quintiles of social status is like around 1.5 and the bottom quintile it approx 2.3. This is based on 2009 abs numbers. 

2. By poor I don't mean people without money but rather the worst 20-30% of people financially off. 

3. The reason most cannot afford games is because they are liek $80-$120 here.  Sure they could wait till prices drop but realistically the dev at that point isn't making much. I tprobably also explains why the trade in rate for games here is booming and lots of second hand games are on the market. 

4. I agree that the devs and hardware manufacturers need to keep them interested. buy you never know the future some crazy new fad will come out and people will drop gaming all together.  At minimum they need to also retain the current addicted gamers. Don't want to loose everyone. Hell every year I say Im going to quit but I don't lol.

5. I am not suggesting they go for the hardcore audience, because they have long gone. I am suggesting they need to make hardcore games so the current kids who grow up stick with Nintendo instead of bail to the competition. Obviously without 3rd party support it will be hard, but they need to create that space so when 3rd parties release their games people buy them and devs see oh Nintendo gamers do buy our games. Realisitcally Nintendo gamers do buy their games but on other platforms atm .

Around the Network

This is probably the most blissfully hopeful idea I've seen in awhile. If Miyamoto is indeed working on a new FPS, it's not going to be the one everyone wants. And if anyone thought it was, they were just kidding themselves.

Cobretti2 said:
JWeinCom said:
Cobretti2 said:
JWeinCom said:
Cobretti2 said:
JWeinCom said:
I would be disappointed if Nintendo did that. If I was looking for FPS games, I'd buy a PS4, XBone, or invest in a gaming PC. From a business perspective, it's a poor decision. Nintendo has more of an opportunity with Wii Fans, kids, and the Nintendo faithful who still haven't upgraded.

This is exactly why they need to EXPAND their genres so these kids that grow up don't leave the system for others that do have what they want.

Some kids will go to other consoles, some will stop gaming altogether, and some will stay loyal to Nintendo.  The beautiful thing though is that people are always fucking, so there are going to be more kids.  There will always be more non-gamers than gamers.

At this point, Nintendo has a system that's not catching on with much of anyone, while Sony has a system that is strongly resonating with hardcore gamers, and Microsoft has one that is doing well at least in the US.  Neither the XBox One or the PS4 has much in the way of family friendly content or anyting that goes outside the bounds of "hardcore" gaming which is an area Nintendo has always been strong with.

Where then does Nintendo's opportunity lie? If the Wii U is going to be a success, it's not going to be because Nintendo out FPSed two consoles that will be flooded with FPS in two years.  That would require massive resource development, and a complete shift in marketing.  Having Miyamoto, who has consistently shown an ability to connect with casual gamers, work on an FPS would be like hiring Infinity Ward to work on your new dating sim. If the Wii U is going to be a success, they need to reengage the casual market.

Ideally, third party content would fill the gap that Nintendo leaves, but clearly that's not happening. 

The problem is people who can afford gaming are having less and less kids each generation as cost of living goes up (ie. wanting the dream of owning your own house etc,,,).

Errrrr... that's a pretty bold claim... I would need so see something backing them up.

Poor people are the ones populating the planet at an alarming rate.

Poverty is generally in decline worldwide.  In the US poverty spiced during the recession, but has generally been stable.  And poor kids play games.  I work in a school with a poverty rate of about 97%... Those kids love games.

Those are small fries who can't afford to buy games. Also who is to say that gaming won't die out with newer generation of kids?

Gaming will die out with a newer generation of kids if companies like Nintendo don't focus on building up that market.

We are hooked on gaming and they need to retain what they have has a risk mitigation if that were to ever happen.

There is nothing wrong with trying to retain your current gamers and capture new kids.

That's not what people are suggesting though.  People are suggesting that Nintendo go after the "hardcore" audience which is an audience they've never had success for.  In a world of unlimited resources, they could do this, but that's not reality. A few awesome FPS or hardcore games aren't going to be enough and the resources could be better spent attacking an area where Sony and MS are weaker.  

Why do you think Nintendo has been on a decline each gen (apart from Wii and it's blue ocean strategy)? It is because it can't retain its aging gamers. 

But the Wii was the success, so that's what they should be going for.  At any rate without third party support they CAN'T attack Sony and Microsoft on the "hardcore" front, so they'll need to focus on the audience that the others aren't reaching.

1. Well things may be different elsewhere but in Aus the birth rate for the top 2 quintiles of social status is like around 1.5 and the bottom quintile it approx 2.3. This is based on 2009 abs numbers. 

2. By poor I don't mean people without money but rather the worst 20-30% of people financially off. 

3. The reason most cannot afford games is because they are liek $80-$120 here.  Sure they could wait till prices drop but realistically the dev at that point isn't making much. I tprobably also explains why the trade in rate for games here is booming and lots of second hand games are on the market. 

4. I agree that the devs and hardware manufacturers need to keep them interested. buy you never know the future some crazy new fad will come out and people will drop gaming all together.  At minimum they need to also retain the current addicted gamers. Don't want to loose everyone. Hell every year I say Im going to quit but I don't lol.

5. I am not suggesting they go for the hardcore audience, because they have long gone. I am suggesting they need to make hardcore games so the current kids who grow up stick with Nintendo instead of bail to the competition. Obviously without 3rd party support it will be hard, but they need to create that space so when 3rd parties release their games people buy them and devs see oh Nintendo gamers do buy our games. Realisitcally Nintendo gamers do buy their games but on other platforms atm .

1.  Yeah, poorer people generally do have more kids, but as time goes on even the poorer have more than they did years ago.  On a worldwide scale, poverty has been consistently shrinking.  In particular for Nintendo, there is a huge influx of middle class people in places like China.

2.  The worst 20-30% still likely has some degree of money for luxury items.  Whether they should be buying things like a Wii U is a different matter altogether but that's another argument for another day.

3.  Well games are about half that price here.  Australia is a pretty small market overall and, no offense, is not particularly relevant to gaming as a whole.  Prices in Japan and EU are also a bit higher than the US.  At any rate, if poverty is really going up at such a rate, it's going to eventually effect everyone.  Whether you target kids, teens, or adults, eventually rising poverty will hit your business.

4.  I really don't think gaming is a fad or is going anywhere.  Been around for about fifty years or so, and it's been 30 years since the NES.  The way people play games and the console model may very well change, but the idea of interactive media is so fundamentally strong that I would be shocked if it went away, barring some sort of massive disaster.

But, let's not pretend that the "hardcore" gamers who love COD and other shooters are the most dedicated gamers out there.  These are going to be among the first people gone from the market.  If the gaming industry is going to combat fatigue and dropout, it's not going to be a new FPS that will change the tide, it will be a unique new IP along the lines of Wii Sports, Wii Fit, or Nintendogs.  The stuff Miyamoto usually works on.

5.  I agree that Nintendo needs to get gamers to stick with them as they age, but I don't think that making hardcore games is going to help.  They just don't have unlimited resources and I think that family friendly/casual/kids/stuff like Pikmin3 Mario Kart and Smash are more important to their overall success.  Nintendo can't fill the void left by EA, Activision, Take 2, and Ubisoft all by themselves, and it would be a waste to try.  For not, they have to focus on attacking the blue ocean (which is still pretty blue) with the Wii U, and really putting some serious thought into how to fix their third party relationships for their next console (which will probably be sooner than people would expect).

I predict that Myamoto's new IP will be super gimicky, Nintendo will introduce this gimick kind of gameplay to us like if it was the best thing since butter on bread, no one will care, it will flop and it will prove how out of touch Nintendo really are and how desperate they feel to reinvent the wheel instead of giving us some proven to be great kind of games that everyone wants and love and that every other publisher keeps giving us.

It will be like Wii music all over again. I hope to be proven wrong but I have no hype whatsoever for this new Myamoto IP. Are'nt the last Myamoto IPs Wii music and Steeldiver? Yeah I expect something shitty like that.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

Metrium said:
I predict that Myamoto's new IP will be super gimicky, Nintendo will introduce this gimick kind of gameplay to us like if it was the best thing since butter on bread, no one will care, it will flop and it will prove how out of touch Nintendo really are and how desperate they feel to reinvent the wheel instead of giving us some proven to be great kind of games that everyone wants and love and that every other publisher keeps giving us.

It will be like Wii music all over again. I hope to be proven wrong but I have no hype whatsoever for this new Myamoto IP. Are'nt the last Myamoto IPs Wii music and Steeldiver? Yeah I expect something shitty like that.

Damn. You are realistic. Hard but that's reality.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

well I'm hoping its a JRPG.

I'm hoping it's a Western Metroid FPS with online and stuff.

More likely the new Zelda is a FPS developed by Retro Studios. Ocarina of Time was originally planned to be a FPS and in games like Skyrim this works very well.

A Nintendo FPS would be the sexiest thing ever.