By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why don't people like hard games anymore?

I used to like hard games when I was a kid, because I had time to play them over & over and memorize every move.

Now I'm old(er) and get easily frustrated if a game seems harder than is necessary and tastes have changed after playing other games.

For example the original SMB was awesome. Now they made SMBU trying to emulate the classic gameplay, and I can't stand it at all. It feels dated and frustrating; I don't know how many times I've fallen because the controls are sloppy and don't register button presses sharply like their modern counterparts like SM3DW.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network

People want to have fun with a game rather than being frustrated. The whole point of video games is to have fun, it's as simple as that.

Because the developers want their games to appeal to a wide demographic.

And believe it or not, a lot of people play games to have fun and relax.

They don't want the frustrating experience of dying over and over until they mastered a level just to get to an even harder one.
Call them casuals, but they made the industry as big as it is today.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

The difficulty back then in games and the difficulty now in games are very different.

Nowadays the difficulty in the popular games come from playing their online multiplayer. If you want a challenge in Call of Duty, Battlefield, Halo or even POKEMON (Yes Pokemon), go online and play against some real people with skills. Your noob ass is gonna get pwned so bad it won't even be funny. Single player is more to get people to feel better after they get their ass beat against real players and to get them used to the controls.

Rustuv said:

spurgeonryan said:
Cranky is fine and pulls his weight. The game is fun as well. But when one area stops me for too long I lose interest.

One of the major reasons games are easier now is because of the ability to save your game which changes everything. For example Mr. spurgeonryan here. His problem is made worse by saving. In the NES days he would get to the part he was stuck on lose all his lives and have to start all over. That sounds terrible by todays standards but it would actually give you a break from your frustration as you replayed the part of the game you were familiar with. But since he can save probably right before the part he is stuck on it becomes more like banging your head against a wall over and over again as being stuck at one point becomes the only part of the game you are playing.  Also a lot of older games were made so that you could play them in one sitting if you were good enough because you couldn't be expected to play a game for 15-20 hours straight, if those games had been easy everyone would have just returned the games when they beat them in a day. They had to make them hard so these 90 minute games would take you a week or 7 to beat them the first time.  Also some of those hard games are actually very easy with a save feature, I've play some VC games and some Roms and let me tell you they are way easier when you can save.

I really agree on that. Save changed everything. It made games easier, but also made harder game more painful.

Lack of time (or skill ?) make it especially boring for me. You don't have time to improve so much, and you don't have time to repeat until you pass. So you repeat again and again the same difficult part, and could even be stuck and start from the same part the next day if you don't pass. And it's not about getting a timing right, which would happen quickly, but have you master some combo or target faster.

Also games I play are more about a story than old games where it was only about finishing the game. I have simply more fun going to the next part than beating the current one.

Around the Network

Back when I was 13 playing DKC on SNES, I'd always laugh at Cranky Kong when he'd bitch about "todays gamers are soft" etc. Now, I have BECOME Cranky Kong. Kids THESE days are soft as hell.

Kids who's first console was NES, we have twitch skills that other generations will never have.

MoHasanie said:
I don't like hard games cause I get fed up of being stuck and then just give up and move on to another game.

Same for me.

a) no time
b) too many other games to play
c) difficult doesn't always mean fair
d) games back then were short as hell, that's why they were difficult. The same could be said about bad games trying to cover themselves in great graphics. It's a developers trick to hide flaws.

Because PS games aren't long enough to build up difficulty. Lol.

There are just as many hard games.
I play the games I really like on the second playthrough on hard/hardest difficulty.
Try The Last Of Us or Killzone2 on elite, some Vanquish on GodHard, some Bayonetta or some DMC on hardest or mgsrising or how about some god of war :)
Games are still pretty hard today there are just more people overall playing them and some of them just don't want the gameplay challange and more of thee story, so the developers put in the option to lower the difficulty :) aaaand thats why you have trophys. To challange yourself :)