By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The most underrated video game franchises?

I feel like Saints Row is kinda underrated. The games are massively fun

Around the Network

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee. I'm not sure if it was underrated or not back in the day, but I loved that game. And I think now people don't care that much about Oddworld ~

Breath of Fire series.

Forgotten after the PS1 era other than some spinoffs, but the series is amazing

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

VanceIX said:
Breath of Fire series.

Forgotten after the PS1 era other than some spinoffs, but the series is amazing

I agree with you on that one. Too bad the franchise is getting Capcom'd with Breath of Fire VI!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Oddworld -- quirky, demanding, and, all too often, overlooked
Shining series -- one of the better strategy RPG franchises around
Penumbra -- before Amnesia came this scary and intelligent horror series

I really dont understand sega's strategy with that series.  It seems pretty obvious that people enjoyed the srpg's the best, and yet they keep pumping out japan only crappy action games for the series... Does sega not have the ability to listen to its fans?  Bring back shining force already!!!  Also, they need to port over scenario 2 and 3 of shining force 3 as well!!

Around the Network
gergroy said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Oddworld -- quirky, demanding, and, all too often, overlooked
Shining series -- one of the better strategy RPG franchises around
Penumbra -- before Amnesia came this scary and intelligent horror series

I really dont understand sega's strategy with that series.  It seems pretty obvious that people enjoyed the srpg's the best, and yet they keep pumping out japan only crappy action games for the series... Does sega not have the ability to listen to its fans?  Bring back shining force already!!!  Also, they need to port over scenario 2 and 3 of shining force 3 as well!!

Speaking of Sega, Valkyria Chronicle.

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

Call of Duta
GTA

Lords of Shadow. Between the large amount of people who aren't interested in the Castlevania name, and the Castlevania fanbase who dislike the series because it's not really Castlevania, this is a really good series that not just flew under the radar, it was a large red blip on the radar and completely ignored it.

Wild ARMs. One of the better and most overlooked RPG series. People who have played the games agree that they're good, but barely anyone has played the games. Each game in the series has an excellent combat system while outside of combat, instead of just running down each hallway to explore, you're given tools to solve puzzles throughout each dungeon. Even when the gameplay styles of each game are similar to one another, each game in the series are very diverse in their execution.

Breath of Fire. Another RPGs where each iteration gets better or atleast retains the quality of its predecessors. Just like Wild ARMs and Final Fantasy, while most games are similar, they're diverse in executions. Both of these great series along with many others were overshadowed and obscured into oblivion along with many other great RPGs because people aren't able to look past a brand name and as great as the games once were a lot of people exclusively purchased and played Final Fantasy RPGs.

Good point about Contra

Why the heck Contra never went 3D? Why isn't Contra the FPS shooter all the others try to clone/beat?

cusman said:

Good point about Contra

Why the heck Contra never went 3D? Why isn't Contra the FPS shooter all the others try to clone/beat?

Actually, two Contra games that are in 3D do exist! The first one was Legacy of War for the PSX ( which sucked) and the second and last one was Neo Contra for the PS2 ( which was decent).  After that all the Contra games were in 2D ( Contra 4, Contra ReBirth and Hard Corps: Uprising)!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---