By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The most underrated video game franchises?

gergroy said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Oddworld -- quirky, demanding, and, all too often, overlooked
Shining series -- one of the better strategy RPG franchises around
Penumbra -- before Amnesia came this scary and intelligent horror series

I really dont understand sega's strategy with that series.  It seems pretty obvious that people enjoyed the srpg's the best, and yet they keep pumping out japan only crappy action games for the series... Does sega not have the ability to listen to its fans?  Bring back shining force already!!!  Also, they need to port over scenario 2 and 3 of shining force 3 as well!!

Yes!! Make it happen, Sega!

Around the Network

Parasite Eve, Contra, Megaman, Golden Sun.

Games/Series that I would like to see gain more recognition and sales.

Shinning Force

One of my favourite SRPG series.

Golden Sun

Again one of my favourite JRPG series.

Langrisser

A really good SRPG series that combines elements of fire emblem and advance wars. Unfortunately outside the first entry none as far as I’m where got officially localised.

Blue Dragon

Another great JRPG series that had a lot of potential for more entry’s more so than lost odyssey in my opinion.

Lost Odyssey

A really good JRPG better than any of the recent final fantasies in my opinion. Unfortunately it didn’t sell anywhere near the amount it deserved.

Advance Wars

The sister series of fire emblem which is often over looked in favour of it.

CleggaZ said:

Advance Wars

The sister series of fire emblem which is often over looked in favour of it.

Actually, the obsession with FE is very recent. Advance Wars was the favourite son till the DS era.

Also, another series I feel is underrated is Legend of Legaia. Damn fine RPG.

Does anyone know/remember the Dept. Heaven series? Riviera? Yddra Union? Knights in the Nightmare? Really, anything by Sting qualifies here. *coughDokaponKingdomcough*

When Psychonauts came out, it made me want to buy an original Xbox just for that game.

Chibi Robo is amazing, it's so sad that so few have played it. It's like the Japanese, video game cousin of Toy Story.

Baten Kaitos and Baten Kaitos Origins, I just don't have the words, these gems moved me in ways no other game has. They're made by the same people that made Xenoblade Chronicles. It's a tragedy that they're so underappreciated.

Around the Network

I think Star Ocean deserves more attention than it gets. It also deserves a god damn sequel already ¬_¬

I said it many times, said it as the game launched on Virtual Console this week and I'll say it again, Golden Sun is Nintendo's most underrated franchises.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

Sanic Teh Hedgehog.

Fatal Frame

No other series captures horror the way this one does. No mowing down hordes of zombies with a machine gun here; you're isolated, vulnerable, you always feel like you're being watched and stalked, and your supernatural enemies teleport and slip through the walls/floor/ceiling to catch you off guard as you try to line up and charge a shot at the one bearing down on you and your peripheral vision cut off to attacks from the side by the camera's viewfinder.

Best horror series out there in my book.

Brutal Legend- Such a hilariously fun game. I loved every second of it.