By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - “You Got Served” – Nintendo Sued Over Dual Screen Technology

For those saying that Texas must have a lot of patent troll companies, not exactly. What is happening is that a judicial district in Texas is known for being heavily favorable to patent holders so companies from all over the US file their lawsuits in that district in Texas. They don't need to be headquartered there.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Mystro-Sama said:
They might just win this like the last one. Nintendo is a multi billion dollar company and can't hire good lawyers. What a fail LOL

You mean like how this same comapny tried to sue Nintendo for this same patent last year over the DS and 3DS and they lost to Nintendo?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
Mystro-Sama said:
They might just win this like the last one. Nintendo is a multi billion dollar company and can't hire good lawyers. What a fail LOL

You mean like how this same comapny tried to sue Nintendo for this same patent last year over the DS and 3DS and they lost to Nintendo?

Apparently, Nintendo losing one case over 3D (which has nothing to with this company) after successfully defending numerous others (including lawsuits from this company) equals fail.  More like his terrible post is a fail.

the-pi-guy said:
HigHurtenflurst said:

It is actually one screen.  The link even has some pictures! 

Eurogamer sister site USgamer revealed back in August that Nintendo would save money on the console's parts by manufacturing the 2DS with one large LCD screen split into two displays by the device's plastic casing.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-16-this-is-what-the-2ds-huge-single-lcd-screen-looks-like

Ah, I see... I did wonder why they didn't make it fold.

That company already lost. Nintendo and all those retailers can hire the best lawyers.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
cycycychris said:
I don't see how they stand a chance against Nintendo and all the other company's. They got some of the best lawyers out there and huge budgets. I wouldn't be surprised if they made this case take as long as they can possibly take. Just to try and run them out of money and get another patent troll out of business.

Coincidentally, something similar to that happened a few months ago.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/9/5291790/nintendo-acquires-ia-labs-patent-portfolio-sheriffs-sale

Gee.. I wonder who is going to win!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

So, this guy patented an idea? not an invention itself, but the idea? That's the kind of bullshit that shouldn't be allowed to be taken to court. He patented the concept in 2003 and never made anything with it. After reading the patent I don't see how it can be applied to wii u.

Some people will do anything for money.

The Fury said:
When lawsuits appear, if it's rediculous, it's always Texas.

I'm thinking I might set up a company in Texas, file a patent for a holographic screen and then wait until someone actually makes it, then sue...

*omit next section*

...then profit.

The Eastern District of Texas is well-known for being much more receptive to patent troll suits than any other in the country, so it's not a coincidence that so many of these suits originate there.

Kasz216 said:
They're rolling the lawyer roulette wheel and hoping they get a less tech savy judge.

Tech cases really should have their own set of younger judges.

These cases are tried before juries. Juries in that district seem to disproportionately favor patent holders, for reasons that I won't pretend to know.

They failed in their DS attempt and will fail in WiiU as well. Its a stupid patent.