By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - “You Got Served” – Nintendo Sued Over Dual Screen Technology

Somini said:
QuintonMcLeod said:

This lawsuit isn't going to go anywhere considering there's phones out there that use dual screens as well as very old arcade machines and kiosks.

I think so too, but you never know. As they could gain even more if they win against Nintendo.

Not if there's proof of prior art. Nintendo could invalidate the patent all together if they can show that dual screen technology has been around before the patent was created.

Around the Network
Wright said:

"Ninyai" or however you write it on English, which is the equivalent of Objection! in Japanese :P

異議あり
Igiari (present tense)

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Gnac said:
Wright said:

"Ninyai" or however you write it on English, which is the equivalent of Objection! in Japanese :P

異議あり
Igiari (present tense)

Goddamit, I'm useless.

QuintonMcLeod said:
Somini said:
QuintonMcLeod said:

This lawsuit isn't going to go anywhere considering there's phones out there that use dual screens as well as very old arcade machines and kiosks.

I think so too, but you never know. As they could gain even more if they win against Nintendo.

Not if there's proof of prior art. Nintendo could invalidate the patent all together if they can show that dual screen technology has been around before the patent was created.

This worked really well for Samsung, with all such as having a smartphone with a screen and rounded corners (poor Sony / LG) and swiping a finger to unlock a touchscreen (poor Nokia). There's a whole lot of shit about fingerprint reading right now where the Motorola Atrix 4G will barely get mentioned, because it's a war over marketshare, with "ownership" and "theft" of ideas as convenient excuses to steamroll competitors. The winner will be whoever has the most public influence / money / both. The patent system is just another conduit for corruption - which is itself a corruption of its original purpose.

Nintendo will be as lucky / influential to get out of this unscathed as with previous successes.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Wright said:
Gnac said:
Wright said:

異議あり
Igiari (present tense)

Goddamit, I'm useless.

Hell no, I could find uses for you around Gnac Acres.

You can wear that Stray Sheep uniform, too. We could have "weird" sex!

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Around the Network
Gnac said:
Wright said:

Goddamit, I'm useless.

I'm all for weird sex.

etking said:
In 1982, Nintendo already released Dual Screen Displays.

http://www.raregameandwatch.com/

Well, that was quite a simple use of dual-screen, but for more complex uses, with each screen being dedicated to separated tasks of a single application or in coordinated applications, industries, computer graphics, universities, research sites and the military, and even brokers, had been using them for years even before that special Game and Watch or dual screen cellphones or some arcade games, so there should be more than enough prior art.

About patents, Ninty isn't a notable culprit about this, but most big companies deserve being patent trolled this way because they're so happy to use these same demented patent laws against competitors.
And sooner or later someone should sue USPTO for the heavy damages its lazy and sloppy patent reviewing system causes.

This said, LOL at people saying others copy Ninty. But also LOL at those saying Ninty copies others.    Maybe we won't ever really be able to say who really was the first to use that tech, but surely it wasn't that Texan Mr.Nobody.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Wright said:
Gnac said:

I'm all for weird sex.

....so where's the weird here?

Rogerioandrade said:
Again ? Lol
Nintendo started using dual screen long, long ago with Game & Watch.
Funny to see that from time to time someone always try to get easy cash on Nintendo products

Precisely.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Why is this trending again?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.