By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, 3DS sales are bad in Japan, we need to worry about it

3DS sales are bad

DQXI, MH and Smash will help 66 43.71%

Nothing stops this train 53 35.10%

I'm crying 18 11.92%

Stock problems, nuff said 13 8.61%

Total:150

Not surprising for a empty week with no huge releases.
After all, we´re talking about a device with a install base with more than 15 million, and in a week where everything is down.

Now, if this situation keep for a series of weeks, then Nintendo should worry.

Around the Network
Anfebious said:
Yes , we need to worry about it. Reaching Vita levels is very dangerous, I think Nintendo will be in need of a successor sooner than we expected.

Holiday 2015 seems like a good release date.

Hopefully the launch is better than 3DS and is not another DS.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

3DS sales are going to go up by 1000000% once Dragon Quest XI comes out.............unless that game is a mobile exclusive of course!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Rogerioandrade said:
Not surprising for a empty week with no huge releases.
After all, we´re talking about a device with a install base with more than 15 million, and in a week where everything is down.

Now, if this situation keep for a series of weeks, then Nintendo should worry.

It's down 45% YOY. I think this is a situation of every week this year rather than just one.

Pavolink said:
Seece said:
Pavolink said:
Seece said:
I agree 23k is very low for 3DS in Japan, when you consider it isn't lighting up US or Europe either (hovering around 100k per month in US, probably similar in Europe) how much longer is 3DS going to hold out before it needs a successor?

Yes. 100k per week is not as good as many expected, and that after 2DS and Pokemon. I don't think there's anything else big to be released, and I doubt smash is a big hit.

You mean per month? :P I don't understand this sites numbers tbh. It's doing 25k~ in Japan, and 25k in Europe and US weekly, so why do we have a weekly average above 110k?? It's probably around 80k - 90k weekly.

I think it must be "Others"

Anyway, those are low numbers.

Nah, it's overtracked.

LTD end of 2013 was 42.73m

Nintendo shipped 1.24m last Jan - March Q, they're down in Japan this Q 614k, down in US 86k (without March numbers in yet, will be down again) and likely down in Europe a similar amount. So what are the chances of Nintendo shipping 1.24m again when they're down well over 800k YOY???

Yet for VGC's 44m figure to be true, Nintendo will have to ship 1.27m + 600k+ for stock. So 1.9m~

We're potentially looking at a sold > shipped scenario here.

Around the Network
AZWification said:

3DS sales are going to go up by 1000000% once Dragon Quest XI comes out.............unless that game is a mobile exclusive of course!

OH! Never thought that, which will means there's only left MH. And that userbase already migrated with the past installments.

Seece said:

Nah, it's overtracked.

LTD end of 2013 was 42.73m

Nintendo shipped 1.24m last Jan - March Q, they're down in Japan this Q 614k, down in US 86k (without March numbers in yet, will be down again) and likely down in Europe a similar amount. So what are the chances of Nintendo shipping 1.24m again when they're down well over 800k YOY???

Yet for VGC's 44m figure to be true, Nintendo will have to ship 1.27m + 600k+ for stock. So 1.9m~

We're potentially looking at a sold > shipped scenario here.

Even worse then. And honestly, software sales are not as good as expected.

There are some big titles coming that will help quite a bit but I don't see much of anything lifting it back to its previous heights. Smart phones are siphoning more and more market share away, even if it's a little at a time.

We don't need to worry because one week is nothing. We will worry about it if it goes on like this and isn't better the next weeks.

I don't hate Microsoft, I don't hate PC,
I don't prefer Sony, I don't prefer Nintendo.
...Ok, I love Nintendo but this is something about tolerance, ok?

I'm a gamer with one of the greatest hobbies and I want to share this greatness with everyone.

"Reaching Vita levels" doesn't mean much when Vita's sales aren't that bad anymore. In fact, the system is the only one demonstrating growth. If anything, the two systems appear to be meeting in a middle ground compared to last year.

PS3 is doing considerably worse despite a more extensive library, and despite having sold considerably less then 3DS LTD. PS4 also isn't doing particularly well for a new console. I don't think I need to even mention the Wii U. Compared to every other console in Japan, 3DS (and Vita) are doing fine.

And finally, don't forget that just a few weeks ago 3DS sold over 60k, driven by Mario Party. Whether it's with software, a price cut, or a long over due redesign of the primary models, sales will (probably) pick up. I wouldn't neccessarily bet on DQXI, but it certainly won't be mobile exclusive:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/26/dragon-quest-xi-wont-smartphones-says-dragon-quest-creator/