By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 8th Gen Lacks excitement

which do you think is the worst generation?

Gen 1 78 15.57%

Gen 2 31 6.19%

Gen 3 7 1.40%

Gen 4 6 1.20%

Gen 5 10 2.00%

Gen 6 25 4.99%

Gen 7 41 8.18%

Gen 8 132 26.35%

What do these F*cking numbers mean? 61 12.18%

show results. 107 21.36%

Total:498
rik said:
For me the problem is this from n64/ps1 we got ps2 a dvd player and gta 3 and the graphics wow improvement. Then after ps2/xbox/gc we got 360 holy shit look at those graphics I need one of those......! Then wii with its crazy batshit contols everyone wanted one etc. Then we come to ps4/xbone and its like..... okayyy so there massive come with a weird massive camera thing and hmmm the graphics look kinda the same? With amazing games like knack and ryse erm no thanks ill wait for like 2, years. Wii u is decent tho im kinda hyped for mk8 for some reason

The graphics are a pretty big leap, it's just that you only really notice it going backwards. It was kind of the same with Xbox 360 from PS2 though, people would say some games in 2006/2007 "look like PS2 games". However if you went back to PS2 at that point, you soon saw just actually how big a leap they were.

I can't get over how dated the PS3/360 versions of FIFA 14 look in comparison with the PS4/XONE version. If you play the "next gen" version, then try going back to the PS3/360 version, it looks like a "PS2 game lolz!".

On the software front though I agree, there's not really been much reason to make the jump so far.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network

I dont think the excitement is necessary whats lacking, as the excitement comes from the software.

The problem is the market took a turn to the worse on the still ongoing gen and made games that are million or multi-million sellers a sucess and everything else a failure.
This means that from a financial point of view, its difficult to put your stuff exclusively on next-gen until that install base increases. Though its a chicken and the egg thing.

Though thinking about it, the sales of next-gen games on the PS4 in particular have been impressive. There might not be excitement in terms of lots of new games, but there seems to be the same rush for early software that is typical of the time.

With that said, i think there are some interesting next-gen exclusives coming, even this year. So, its all a matter of preference in the end.

Native 1080p (ps4), 900p (xb1), and 720p (WiiU) isn't exciting to you?

Anyways the Playstation platforms always seem (to myself) to take a good 1-2 years to get exciting titles imho. Took PS1 a couple years to get Castlevania SOTN, FFVII, RE2, GT1 if I remember correctly. PS3 took a couple years to get RDR, FFXIII, GT5, UnC2, GoW3. GTA5, TLoU, LR all came at the very end of PS3 as well. So yeah PS4 been out 6 months.

So you're uh... getting yourself overworked over nothing so far imho.

MikeRox said:
rik said:
For me the problem is this from n64/ps1 we got ps2 a dvd player and gta 3 and she graphics wow improvement. Then after ps2/xbox/gc we got 360 holy shit look at those graphics I need one of those......! Then wii with its crazy batshit contols everyone wanted one etc. Then we come to ps4/xbone and its like..... okayyy so there massive come with a weird massive camera thing and hmmm the graphics look kinda the same? With amazing games like knack and ryse erm no thanks ill wait for like 2, years. Wii u is decent tho im kinda hyped for mk8 for some reason

The graphics are a pretty big leap, it's just that you only really notice it going backwards. It was kind of the same with Xbox 360 from PS2 though, people would say some games in 2006/2007 "look like PS2 games". However if you went back to PS2 at that point, you soon saw just actually how big a leap they were.

I can't get over how dated the PS3/360 versions of FIFA 14 look in comparison with the PS4/XONE version. If you play the "next gen" version, then try going back to the PS3/360 version, it looks like a "PS2 game lolz!".

On the software front though I agree, there's not really been much reason to make the jump so far.

I have played fifa 14 ps4 and i on 360 cant really see a massive differance im afraid. Also i own ac4 on wii u and played on ps4 again no major differance. I remember trading in my original xbox for 360 and condemned and perfect dark zero graphics seemed 10 times better. Im sure in time all three current gen systems will be awesome it will take a few years.

Yeah AC4 is the most visually disappointing AAA PS4 title I've seen. But FIFA gap is IMO pretty impressive considering FIFA was cobbled together for launch.

When you compare it with the difference between first 360 FIFA and the PS2/Xbox rival it's a huge leap in comparison.

A few mates hate going back to their 360 version after a decent session on the PS4 version.

Remember Condemned and Perfect Dark were made FOR the 360 whilst FIFA/AC4 etc are cross generation titles. If you look at Infamous Second Son, it's night and day ahead of anything on PS3 or 360.

Around the Network
ICStats said:

Where are all the gaemz?

On PS4 I only have played...
Great: Infamous, Ass Creed IV, Tomb Raider, MGS V GZ, NBA2K, FIFA 14, Rayman Legends.
Good: NFS Rivals, BF4, COD Ghosts.
Below expectations: Killzone, Knack.

Only those 10 good/great games, plus some pretty good indies. Yeah no gaemz, so bored.

And I've played Titanfall.... on PC.

6/7 of those great games and all 3 of the good games are available on last gen consoles. So 1 great and 2 mediocre games are what the gen has been for u so far. Thats kinda the point the OP is trying to make, the new gen is lacking truly defining games thus far.

I think he is jumping the gun since the gen just started but ur post kinda confirms what hes saying.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

brendude13 said:

I feel that the market leaders, 3DS and PS4, are severely lacking in games so far considering how popular they've been.

Other than that it has been fine. The drama last E3 was great, and there's plenty of great games on the horizon.

Really? While the DS is my the platform I played the most games on (even more than PC) I find the 3DS to have surpassed it so far at this point in its life. 

I mean, there is: LoZ: OoT 3d, Fire Emblem: Awakening, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Super Mario 3d Land, Pokemon X/Y, Bravely Default, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Mario Kart 7, Starfox 64 3d, Etrian Oddysey series, Kid Icarus, DKC:Returns 3D, Street Fight IV: 3D Edition, Shin Megamie Tensei IV, Resident Evil games, Heroes of Ruin, Monster Hunter 4, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Dragon Quest 7 Remake, Shin Megami Tensei spin-offs, Kingdom Hearts: 3D Dream Drop Distance, Rune Factory 4, Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy, Super Smash Bros 4, New Super Mario Bros 2, Persona Q, and probably many more that have been released or will be releasing this year. 

That's about 30 games in a time span of 3 years on the market, of many different genres (albeit FPS's are lacking.) 

sc94597 said:
brendude13 said:

I feel that the market leaders, 3DS and PS4, are severely lacking in games so far considering how popular they've been.

Other than that it has been fine. The drama last E3 was great, and there's plenty of great games on the horizon.

Really? While the DS is my the platform I played the most games on (even more than PC) I find the 3DS to have surpassed it so far at this point in its life. 

I mean, there is: LoZ: OoT 3d, Fire Emblem: Awakening, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Super Mario 3d Land, Pokemon X/Y, Bravely Default, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Mario Kart 7, Starfox 64 3d, Etrian Oddysey series, Kid Icarus, DKC:Returns 3D, Street Fight IV: 3D Edition, Shin Megamie Tensei IV, Resident Evil games, Heroes of Ruin, Monster Hunter 4, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Dragon Quest 7 Remake, Shin Megami Tensei spin-offs, Kingdom Hearts: 3D Dream Drop Distance, Rune Factory 4, Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy, Super Smash Bros 4, New Super Mario Bros 2, Persona Q, and probably many more that have been released or will be releasing this year. 

That's about 30 games in a time span of 3 years on the market, of many different genres (albeit FPS's are lacking.) 

I own about 4 of those, and I'm only interested in about 4 more. None of them I'd consider to be spectacular either. It's not exactly bad, but I certainly wouldn't say it's great considering how much the 3DS is dominating the handheld market.

Then again, you're right about it exceeding the DS (and the PSP) in the same time frame, so maybe handhelds will always seem lacking when compared to home consoles.

brendude13 said:
sc94597 said:
brendude13 said:

I own about 4 of those, and I'm only interested in about 4 more. None of them I'd consider to be spectacular either. It's not exactly bad, but I certainly wouldn't say it's great considering how much the 3DS is dominating the handheld market.

Then again, you're right about it exceeding the DS (and the PSP) in the same time frame, so maybe handhelds will always seem lacking when compared to home consoles.

Maybe it's just that the genres and type of games on handhelds don't appeal to you. As a primarily PC/Handheld gamer, I find the 3DS to be very satisfying as far as its library is concerned. 

Xbox 360 had a nice launch (though also mainly cross generation), but after that there was a huge lull like we're seeing now from PS4 and XB1. I think people are forgetting just how many early 360 titles were also available on the previous generation.