By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 8th Gen Lacks excitement

which do you think is the worst generation?

Gen 1 78 15.57%

Gen 2 31 6.19%

Gen 3 7 1.40%

Gen 4 6 1.20%

Gen 5 10 2.00%

Gen 6 25 4.99%

Gen 7 41 8.18%

Gen 8 132 26.35%

What do these F*cking numbers mean? 61 12.18%

show results. 107 21.36%

Total:498

It's been 5 months.

And the worst gen by far is Gen 2. It nearly destroyed the industry.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network
EB1994 said:
archbrix said:
Wagram said:
At the same point in time last generation, it sucked as well.

That's true, but for me the difference is that there were enticing things on the horizon at this point.  Metal Gear Solid 4, Bioshock, waiting to see if Killzone 2 could match its E3 '05 video - there was just a lot to be excited about for me.  

Regarding Sony and Microsoft's offerings, there's almost literally nothing I'm the least bit interested in that's even been announced so far (save for the prospects of Uncharted 4), much less what's out thus far.

Speak for yourself...Games such as the Order and Quantum Break excite me.

I just did - as illustrated by the fact that I said "for me" and "I'm" - not "for everyone".

archbrix said:
EB1994 said:

I just did - as illustrated by the fact that I said "for me" and "I'm" - not "for everyone".

I know. I was telling you what interests me

EB1994 said:
archbrix said:
EB1994 said:

I know. I was telling you what interests me

And that's good for you and everyone else that's interested.  Maybe after I see more at E3 I'll share those views but right now I'm leaning more towards the OP's.

This gen will be boring in terms of sales cause ps4 will dominate and WiiU will clearly be in last place. The only interesting thing that could happen is a X1 comeback similar to the ps3 but that seems unlikely.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

*yawn*
Go shoo some skateboarding kids from the sidewalk...

Nostalgia really is the worst enemy for some people's enjoyment.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Excitement of last gen?

Waiting for Lair? Heavenly sword, to finish it in 6 hours. That was 8 months after release already. Ratchet and Clank in October finally was worth the wait. Beginning of the year was Motorstorm, F1 championship edition, MLB 07 and Ninja Gaidan sigma.
Same for 360, Dead rising in August broke the drought.

Don't let those rose tinted nostalgia glasses fool you. Mindblowingly gorgeous?

FF12 and God of war 2 were much better looking.

Maybe it's a case of once burned twice shy? After many generation changes you get used to it. The first year is never great. I guess with record breaking early sales more people will get to experience the traditional first year buyer's remorse. That's why you should never sell your old system to finance a launch system...

Since I have PC roots I don't care about gens and their phases, but I'm worried about the games. I feel like I have seen everything and there won't be exciting revelations in gaming anymore. But most importantly in the recent years several great series have been killed by turning them into action games (Hitman, Deus Ex, Tomb Raider, Splinter Cell...) - will those mistakes be corrected?

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

The party is rocking on Vita atm. So much 8th gen awesomeness it has forgotten to share ;)

3DS has had a decent couple of years before that too.

On the home console side I agree though. Loving Nintendo's 1st party stuff but its trickling through (great to jump into now though imo) and so far the X1 and PS4 boast an amazing FIFA and like 2 other games of note each. The worst part is looking down the pipeline there are only a couple of games currently slated in the next 6 no tbs that really excite me. So thank God Vita went full throttle in 2014.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

SvennoJ said:

Excitement of last gen?

Waiting for Lair? Heavenly sword, to finish it in 6 hours. That was 8 months after release already. Ratchet and Clank in October finally was worth the wait. Beginning of the year was Motorstorm, F1 championship edition, MLB 07 and Ninja Gaidan sigma. 
Same for 360, Dead rising in August broke the drought.

Don't let those rose tinted nostalgia glasses fool you

Last gen was insanely exciting; in just it's first year the Wii changed the way games were played, 3D Mario and Zelda returned to greatness in Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess, and Metroid Prime 3 set a new gold standard first person shooter control.

There's been nothing on any of the three 8th gen consoles as exciting as any of those games yet.