By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 8th Gen Lacks excitement

which do you think is the worst generation?

Gen 1 78 15.57%

Gen 2 31 6.19%

Gen 3 7 1.40%

Gen 4 6 1.20%

Gen 5 10 2.00%

Gen 6 25 4.99%

Gen 7 41 8.18%

Gen 8 132 26.35%

What do these F*cking numbers mean? 61 12.18%

show results. 107 21.36%

Total:498

Graphics have improved significantly over time. Game play, fun factor and challenge of games peaked during 3rd, 4th and 5th generations. Games from 6th, 7th and 8th generation focus more on graphics and game play is more focused on attracting more casual gamers to increase game sales.

Around the Network

Yeah, find also nothing worth to purchase a new console for atm. If there would be at least new gen exclusive games which have stuff really changing how you play but except for better graphics all the new gen exclusives like Infamous, Ryse, Killzone or Forza would be pretty much the same on old gen except for some fancy particles and other graphical stuff which doesn't change the gameplay.

If at least the enemies would be smarter in Killzone or other games but they didn't really realize that they are on new gen now

Einsam_Delphin said:
Puppyroach said:
I completely agree with the OP, even though I have already bought that killer machine X1 and am enjoying it quite much. Thing is, apart from WiiU (which in its concept feels more next-Gen than X1 or PS4) it feels as though we are bying these new machines to continue playing games from the 7th Gen, only with a higher pixel count.

the 5th Gen introduces 3D in a big way, the 6th Gen came with DVD, hard drives and three strong console developers. The 7th Gen introduces HD in a big way and the uniqueness of motion gaming. But now, what is special about 8th Gen? Could it be the introduction of apps in console gaming?

Well, it could be the games. Naw that's crazy talk! Everyone knows it's all about the gimmicks!

I wouldn´t agree that those things I mentioned are gimmicks, but innovations besides new games is an important part of keeping interest high for new consoles. Why do you think PS2 sold like it did or Wii? PS2 had great uses as a DVD player and Wii attracted a whole new audience. PS4 is of too a great start but I am still certain that it is only because this generation if more frontloaded than the 7th. I have a hard time believeing games will evolve to being called next-gen by any gameplay standards, but I hope I´m wrong :).

Puppyroach said:

I wouldn´t agree that those things I mentioned are gimmicks, but innovations besides new games is an important part of keeping interest high for new consoles. Why do you think PS2 sold like it did or Wii? PS2 had great uses as a DVD player and Wii attracted a whole new audience. PS4 is of too a great start but I am still certain that it is only because this generation if more frontloaded than the 7th. I have a hard time believeing games will evolve to being called next-gen by any gameplay standards, but I hope I´m wrong :).

You're already wrong! Anything released on the 3DS, PSV, PS4, Wii U, and/or XBO is a next gen (current gen now) game by definition!

Einsam_Delphin said:
Puppyroach said:

You're already wrong! Anything released on the 3DS, PSV, PS4, Wii U, and/or XBO is a next gen (current gen now) game by definition!

Damn it! 

Around the Network
Puppyroach said: I wouldn´t agree that those things I mentioned are gimmicks, but innovations besides new games is an important part of keeping interest high for new consoles. Why do you think PS2 sold like it did or Wii? PS2 had great uses as a DVD player and Wii attracted a whole new audience. PS4 is of too a great start but I am still certain that it is only because this generation if more frontloaded than the 7th. I have a hard time believeing games will evolve to being called next-gen by any gameplay standards, but I hope I´m wrong :).

Blu-Ray disc playback could very well be more important for the PS4 than it was on the PS3.

Today sites like Amazon are so popular in the USA and we're finally getting quality 4k rescans of quite a few movies lately. I just ordered 

RoboCop (Unrated Director's Cut) [Blu-ray] (1987) 2014 REMASTERED for all of 5.00$. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/RoboCop-Blu-ray/89781/

I want to wait for certain movies native 4k Blu-Rays but at these prices I'll take a 4k to 2k version with lossless 5.1 DTS, and with a shitload of bonus features for 5 bucks, damn! Blu-Ray is finally mainstream woohoo! Sadly a Wii U cannot play it and it costs usually 300.00 for that console, add in a BR player and you might as well get a PS4 imho for 399.00.

A 4k remaster is still "just" 1080p on Bluray.

Bluray (and physical media in general) is going to have even less of an impact on this generation than the last.

While 4k Bluray XL, or whatever they are called, might be in the pipeline, the future is clearly streaming or download, even in 4k. Nobody, outside of gamers apparently, wants physical media.

It's true that this generation just doesn't feel as exciting as those beforehand :(

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

zero129 said:

But what i said still stands id like for someone to show me what was released for the PS3 and Xbox360 within their first 6 and hell even the Wii's first 18 months that was soo much more exciting then what we had before or after??.

In Wii's first year alone we had Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Wii Sports, and Metroid Prime 3, all more exciting than anything on any of the 8th gen sysstems to date.

zero129 said:
curl-6 said:
zero129 said:

But what i said still stands id like for someone to show me what was released for the PS3 and Xbox360 within their first 6 and hell even the Wii's first 18 months that was soo much more exciting then what we had before or after??.

In Wii's first year alone we had Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Wii Sports, and Metroid Prime 3, all more exciting than anything on any of the 8th gen sysstems to date.

Except like i said this problem still lies with Nintendo and not the PS4 or the X1 as both of them consoles already have better games in their first 6 months then what the PS3 or Wii or x360 had within ther first 6 months unless u can show me what last gen including the wii had within their first 6 months that was more better??

I'd say Wii Sports and Twilight Princess, both Wii launch titles, alone were more exciting anything PS4/Xbone have so far. Infamous SS and Forza 5 are good, though not great, but Knack/Killzone/Ryse/Dead Rising are rubbish and the rest are just slightly shinier last gen ports.