By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 8th Gen Lacks excitement

which do you think is the worst generation?

Gen 1 78 15.57%

Gen 2 31 6.19%

Gen 3 7 1.40%

Gen 4 6 1.20%

Gen 5 10 2.00%

Gen 6 25 4.99%

Gen 7 41 8.18%

Gen 8 132 26.35%

What do these F*cking numbers mean? 61 12.18%

show results. 107 21.36%

Total:498
zero129 said:
curl-6 said:
zero129 said:
curl-6 said:
zero129 said:

But what i said still stands id like for someone to show me what was released for the PS3 and Xbox360 within their first 6 and hell even the Wii's first 18 months that was soo much more exciting then what we had before or after??.

In Wii's first year alone we had Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Wii Sports, and Metroid Prime 3, all more exciting than anything on any of the 8th gen sysstems to date.

Except like i said this problem still lies with Nintendo and not the PS4 or the X1 as both of them consoles already have better games in their first 6 months then what the PS3 or Wii or x360 had within ther first 6 months unless u can show me what last gen including the wii had within their first 6 months that was more better??

I'd say Wii Sports and Twilight Princess, both Wii launch titles, alone were more exciting anything PS4/Xbone have so far. Infamous SS and Forza 5 are good, though not great, but Knack/Killzone/Ryse/Dead Rising are rubbish and the rest are just slightly shinier last gen ports.

Wii sports was fun yes but imo was not better then Forza 5 or Titanfall or Infamous or even Killzone as i think thats a good game and dont understand where the hate comes from for it :-/ . But as you see this is going to come down to opinions here and imo The was nothing in the sametime frame lastgen that had me more excited as to me in fact i think lastgen took longer to get to the good games then its taking this gen. Oh and Zelda was a Gamecube game ported to the wii so if we are going to include that the is a lot of games we can include thats on this gen from last gen too such as AC4, Tomb Raider, The last of us will be launching soon etc

Wii Sports was game changing, nothing on PS4, Xbone, or Wii U is game changing so far.

And actually, Zelda launched on Wii first, Gamecube later.

Killzone's problem is that for a shooter, you spend too much time NOT shooting anything, or doing much at all but wandering through graphically flashy but functionally boring environments. In my experience, at least.

Around the Network
vfguy said:

A 4k remaster is still "just" 1080p on Bluray.

Bluray (and physical media in general) is going to have even less of an impact on this generation than the last.

While 4k Bluray XL, or whatever they are called, might be in the pipeline, the future is clearly streaming or download, even in 4k. Nobody, outside of gamers apparently, wants physical media.

Well no crap dude!I also love the ability of streaming Netflix and Amazon Prime movies instantly to both TV's in my home, but guessy what?

I freaking love lossless DTS HD 5.1/True Dolby/LPCM! I also like knowing there are certain movies I have, that are on the best possible format (blu-ray 4k remaster to 2k or 1080p instead of DVD) to experience that can be had for a reasonable or fantastic pricing! Which makes Blu-Ray more of a draw this gen than last gen for myself.

Take a look at the big picture! It is not a pick and choose only universe we live in (unless you only own a Wii U and no Blu-Ray player and/or no 8th gen XB1/PS4), you can stream and have digital media that is far and away better, so guessy what? I choose both! You obviously limit yourself and choose 1, and are claiming some ridiculous claims. Why even post if you just make these absurd speculations that only gamers buy Blu_ray players? I know plenty of older folks that have only Blu-Ray players to play movies on and still go to Video rental stores to watch Blu Rays and DVDs still. I know, mind blowing right?!

Maybe you own a Wii U and have sour grapes, against the Blu-Ray format? It's the best format currently so deal with it, but I guess I'm asking way to much from yourself.

Lol, I think gen 8 has already more to offer in the current timeframe then the previous gen did. Let alone after the upcoming holiday season. I think people will forget about gen 7 very quickly.

Stories unfolded with my home made rap songs. Feel free to listen here with lyrics: https://youtu.be/vyT9PbK5_T0

I'm enjoying this gen, I mean I just technically joined it a month ago (with a used PS4 from Amazon for cheap), but so far so good. Games run the way they're supposed to now (I remember quite a few games when the 360 launched that had a lot of framerate drops, and lets compare say how well Saint's Row ran as compared to say Infamous Second Son). The systems operate like PCs with limited though useful multi-tasking. The games are about what you'd expect for a newly launched system, while last gen offered up Oblivion in the March following launch (for the 360) which is a bit better than either of the current big March offerings (InFamous SS and Titanfall, both are good but neither great).

So in the end, so far so good. The only thing I don't like is having to pay for online play on both systems. It makes owning both a pain in the butt, and Microsoft really needs to drop the subscription requirement for video services like Netflix.

Regardless, this thread is severely jumping the gun. It has been 6 months, all these systems are lackluster in their first, I dunno, year - and actually I'm not having that problem with this gen yet. Also, the number of pixels have been one of the biggest issues with every gen since 3D was introduced. Resolution has always been a big deal, or else we'd still be sitting pretty on 480p TVs. Framerate is still more important.

Regardless, it's still a better start than the Xbox 1.5 (as it was so lovingly called for its first year) had, though Killzone gives Perfect Dark  Zero a run for its mediocre money. The PS3 was even more of a dud until Uncharted came out.

FinalFantasyXIII said:
vfguy said:

A 4k remaster is still "just" 1080p on Bluray.

Bluray (and physical media in general) is going to have even less of an impact on this generation than the last.

While 4k Bluray XL, or whatever they are called, might be in the pipeline, the future is clearly streaming or download, even in 4k. Nobody, outside of gamers apparently, wants physical media.

Well no crap dude!I also love the ability of streaming Netflix and Amazon Prime movies instantly to both TV's in my home, but guessy what?

I freaking love lossless DTS HD 5.1/True Dolby/LPCM! I also like knowing there are certain movies I have, that are on the best possible format (blu-ray 4k remaster to 2k or 1080p instead of DVD) to experience that can be had for a reasonable or fantastic pricing! Which makes Blu-Ray more of a draw this gen than last gen for myself.

Take a look at the big picture! It is not a pick and choose only universe we live in (unless you only own a Wii U and no Blu-Ray player and/or no 8th gen XB1/PS4), you can stream and have digital media that is far and away better, so guessy what? I choose both! You obviously limit yourself and choose 1, and are claiming some ridiculous claims. Why even post if you just make these absurd speculations that only gamers buy Blu_ray players? I know plenty of older folks that have only Blu-Ray players to play movies on and still go to Video rental stores to watch Blu Rays and DVDs still. I know, mind blowing right?!

Maybe you own a Wii U and have sour grapes, against the Blu-Ray format? It's the best format currently so deal with it, but I guess I'm asking way to much from yourself.

What is so ridiculous about my claims?

-People have shown in the past with CDs and today with Netflix that they prefer convenience and a lower price over quality. Physical media in general and Blu-Ray in particular are on their way out.  I agree that there is not yet an equivalent in terms of quality to BluRay, but it clearly never caught on like DVD did and never will.

-Even Sony's own 4k push here in Japan is based on download, not Blu-Ray.

-Why so butthurt about 4k masters? If you master something in 4k and then shrink it down to 1080p, that is still just 1080p.

-Everyone I know, perhaps those "older folks" you mention are the exception, are moving to digital of some kind. I don't know a single person who still buys physical media for their movies and music. This is clearly the trend. Why else do you think that special features on Blu-Rays have essentially disappeared in the past year or two (along with music and video stores)? 5-10 years ago, most of my friends had at least a small DVD/Blu-Ray collection with their favorite films, some TV shows, and some recent films. That is simply not the case anymore.

-Also, video rental stores? That is your argument? Video Rental stores!!!

-Because games are more expensive, some gamers still seem to want physical media because of the trade-in value/ability to buy used games, but that is not the case with other media anymore and will not be the case with games soon enough.

Edit: I am actually on my fifth BluRay player (2 stand-alone players, 2 PS3s, 1 Xbox One) and will soon buy a sixth when a PS4 limited edition of some kind is released in Japan. I bought and rented my fair share of movies between 2006 and 2010. These days, I only occasionaly rent movies on BluRay here in Japan at Tsutaya, but I haven't bought any movies in years. Even at $5 from Amazon, why would I need a movie on my shelf when I most likely wouldn't revisit it for years, if ever, and at that point I could just download it, rent it, or stream it.

Around the Network

Well 8th gen so far is in at the earliest it's cycle to arrive at this conclusion. Well I'd still wait a lot more. So far so good to me.

elazz said:
Lol, I think gen 8 has already more to offer in the current timeframe then the previous gen did. Let alone after the upcoming holiday season. I think people will forget about gen 7 very quickly.

You sure about that? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_in_video_gaming

It will be very difficult for gen 8 to beat the end of gen 7's first year after all 3 systems came out.  2007 was a beast of a year.

Something...Something...Games...Something

Ya this ain't no 360/PS3 tug of war. X1 passes WiiU......yay I guess. PS4 taking a early lead means no neck-to-neck sales struggle to track. Its boring as we all know how this will play out.

That said, MS is investing a lot into games. I wouldn't mind being 2nd place while also having a superior games selection.

Then again, PS fans get those glorious endorphins from being 1st place which provides a high and buzz that is very pleasurable. The feeling of validation elevates ones mood and changes the outlook on their day-to-day lifestyle. So they got that at least ;)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I dunno about that man. I'm pretty fuckin' stoked for Mario Kart coming up here pretty quick. I'd also be pretty stoked if The Last Guardian or Elder Scrolls VI ever come out, and they're actually GOOD.

There is reason to be excited for this gen of gaming. The games just need to come out is all.

sales2099 said:
Ya this ain't no 360/PS3 tug of war. X1 passes WiiU......yay I guess. PS4 taking a early lead means no neck-to-neck sales struggle to track. Its boring as we all know how this will play out.

That said, MS is investing a lot into games. I wouldn't mind being 2nd place while also having a superior games selection.

Then again, PS fans get those glorious endorphins from being 1st place which provides a high and buzz that is very pleasurable. The feeling of validation elevates ones mood and changes the outlook on their day-to-day lifestyle. So they got that at least ;)

Well that's a very sudden change of heart.