By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How to build a good Pokemon team?

BraLoD said:

Can we trade this pokémons to old gen? I know that moves, itens and whatever have to be on the 2nd gen list or you can't trade then. I mean, If a have a GBA, a NDS, and a 3DS, and I get a pikachu there in Pokémon X/Y, then trade backwards untill it comes to my GBA in my Pokémon G/S, with these perfect stats? If I'm not wrong 1st gen doesn't have these IV and EV stuff, but 2nd gen have, so I can just get it X/Y easy and trade back to my GBA and get a full pokedex (or almost) with all perfect stats pokémons? That would be boring to do, but seems very easier than get on 2nd gen itself. Would be nice to have perfect pokédex in old games.

You cannot trade pokemon from new gens to old gens.

That's like trying to run current gen PC games on DirectX 8.

Either way I wouldn't know why you would want to do that.

Playing against AI with perfect pokes is boring (or in the case of Battle Maison/Subway/Tower annoying because of hax).

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

Around the Network

Would defeat the challenge and point to filling the pokedex.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

Thanks a lot guys. I have to read carefully now all the posts and put main points to the OP. And then I will have a batch of new questions incoming.
But first I have a lot to read.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Player2 said:

2 - Yes. to all. This is the damage formula (quite pretty!) (found in this Bulbapedia page, more info there):

Of course there are plenty of modifiers:

Thanks. I added that to the OP. That brings up the question of Accuracy, but it is easy answered: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Accuracy

Basically the value in the attack-description is the percentage, no stat is involved, only moves that change the abilities and items. So does it make sense to use an attack with high damage but low accuracy and hold an accuracy increasing item?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Cleary397 said:

Secondly, there really is no need to have multiple moves of the same type on a pokemon. A Rhyperior with 2 ground type moves is a waste. You want the STAB (same type attack bonus) from having a move of the same type, but pick the best move possible. In the case of Rhyperior, have earthquake. Not earthquake and drill run. 

Having a diverse set of moves on pokemon allows you to potentially deal with some threats other players will put out against your pokemon. 

Having only one attack of each type makes sense, as fights against other humans never last long and you will not use the inferior move. That brings me to following list for each type (only looking for power as a start, using http://www.serebii.net/attackdex-xy/ ):

Bug: Megahorn

Dark: Foul Play (seems to use enemies attack power)

Dragon: Roar of time (as the user has to rest the next turn, it might be counted as power 75, so maybe Draco Meteor)

Electric: Bolt Strike

Fairy: Light of Ruin (damages the user, so maybe Moonblast)

Fight: Focus Punch (but only with high speed)

Fire: Blast Burn (as the user has to rest next turn, maybe Blue Flare or Overheat)

Flying: Sky Attack

Ghost: Shadow Force

Grass: Frenzy Plant (again, as the user can't move on the next turn, maybe better Leaf Storm)

Ground: Earthquake

Ice: Ice Burn

Normal: Explosion and Self-Destruct have obvius downsides (maybe last resort), so maybe Giga Impact or Hyper Beam

Poison: Gunk Shot

Psychic: Psycho Boost

Rock: Head Smash

Steel: Doom Desire (probably not good because of the delay, maybe Iron Tail)

Water: Hydro Cannon or Water Spout

Is this the right way to look at things? Probably some of the other moves aren't that good either, must try.

Around the Network
spemanig said:

Not really. More important things to learn are Pokemon categories and types. Types are literally the most important thing about competitive battles. If you don't have a nearly flawless grasp on type match-ups, you will lose with even the best teams. By battle categories, I mean the role each Pokemon will play on your team. There are Walls, which are meant to be durable Pokemon that can outlast your opponent. These Pokemon usually have high defensive stats but low attacking stats. There are Sweepers, which are meant to be your power houses. They usually have high offensive and speed stats but lower defensive stats. There are a lot more, but in the beginning you want to just focus on these two. Who's good at attacking and who's good at defending. That balance can be key.

Hmm, walls and sweepers? I usually only think in terms of good attack, as a dead enemy doesn't deal damage anymore. Maybe Pokemon is more complex.

As I don't want (yet) look at the Pokemon and their base stats in detail (first getting basic details together), I take a look on the type table. Seems like steel might be a good type for a defensive Pokemon, a wall. Is that right?

irstupid said:
Mnementh said:

I'm pretty much a newbie in Pokemon. I tried first Pokemon with Black and White 2 but didn't play far, because of work stress and the announcement of X/Y. I completed Y now and are workinbg my way to complete the Pokedex and get all TM. But as I tried a few times online battle, I could see I'm not in the least competitive. So I want to learn to build a competitive team. It have not to be the perfect team, only good enough to win some battles and lose others. So I need some tips, how to uild a better team. Remember I'm a complete newb, don't start with advanced stuff , I want work my way up from he basics.

I will ask the first batch of questions in the first post, so that I can gather answers/tips in the OP.

For a noob its simple.   Open up this page and look at the weakness/strong against each type.  http://www.serebii.net/xy/typechart.shtml

Grab any pokemon you like, don't worry about using the best, just choose ones you like.  Then teach them moves that are good that cover types.  Don't teach a fire pokemon ONLY fire moves.  Teach him some flying moves, psychic moves, ect.  Whatever he can that is also good.

Look at the chart I posted again and see what types you are missing stil.  Don't have any water covered, find a pokemon you like that is either water type or can learn a good water move.

Just cover your bases basically.  Then start playing.  As you play you will adjust your team accordingly.  Whether you see the opponent do a move you found worked awesome, then teach it to someone on your team.  Or if you found out one of your moves just flat out sucks, remove it and teach new move.  If you find a pokemon you were using sucks, change it, or see a pokemon they using you liked, ect.

But there is no quick road to pokemon champion.  But best start is to just cover your bases and then build from there.  You may end up with a nice diversified team or maybe you just go all out one type and rock the Sunny Day or other weather effects ect that improve your whole team.

There is a ton you can do.  I hope you don't just copy/paste someone else's uber team.  The more variety on the online battles the funner the game.  No noe likes to see the same exact pokemon a million times or the same moves.

Worry about EV/IV/items later.  No point burning yourself out doing some insane training and then finding you hate that moveset/pokemon/ect.  Find what you like first then pimp them out.

This seems like a goos advice to start. I also don't like copying other teams too much (would do it, if everything else fails though). And IV breeding seems hellishly complicated. First try out the Pokemon and IV breed the ones I like later seems like a good way to it.

And as I wrote in the OP, I don't want to be a champion, I simply want to stop being a punching bag. So I don't want to invest too much time into a perfect team - yet.

Mnementh said:
spemanig said:

Not really. More important things to learn are Pokemon categories and types. Types are literally the most important thing about competitive battles. If you don't have a nearly flawless grasp on type match-ups, you will lose with even the best teams. By battle categories, I mean the role each Pokemon will play on your team. There are Walls, which are meant to be durable Pokemon that can outlast your opponent. These Pokemon usually have high defensive stats but low attacking stats. There are Sweepers, which are meant to be your power houses. They usually have high offensive and speed stats but lower defensive stats. There are a lot more, but in the beginning you want to just focus on these two. Who's good at attacking and who's good at defending. That balance can be key.

Hmm, walls and sweepers? I usually only think in terms of good attack, as a dead enemy doesn't deal damage anymore. Maybe Pokemon is more complex.

As I don't want (yet) look at the Pokemon and their base stats in detail (first getting basic details together), I take a look on the type table. Seems like steel might be a good type for a defensive Pokemon, a wall. Is that right?

Pokemon is way more complex than that. No one wins Pokemon with brute strength alone. Sweepers are usually really easy to take out without back up, and a whole team of them is borderline suicide.

Honestly, you can't just ignore a Pokemon's base stats, even in the begining. You may be forgiven for ignoring EV's, IV's and maybe even Natures, but Pokemon isn't a game where you can just "win with your favorites." Flareon has an amazing attack stat, but is a shitty Pokemon. Meganium has pretty solid defenses, but it's a shitty Pokemon. Bastiodon, a steel type, has amazing defensive stats, but you'd be laughed at for using one, because it's shit.

When looking for a Pokemon to fill a roll you need, it's not as simple as thinking "I need this type for my wall and this one for my sweeper." Porygon 2 is an exellect wall/tank, but it's a Normal type, and it's defensive stats are only slightly above average.

I like I said, start by copying other teams and learning how they work. You don't learn to compose by writing your own music. You do so by reading other people's music.

This seems like a good thread so I tag along and study your advices.

PS2|Wii|DS lite|3DS XL|PSP|Android

spemanig said:
Mnementh said:
spemanig said:

Pokemon is way more complex than that. No one wins Pokemon with brute strength alone. Sweepers are usually really easy to take out without back up, and a whole team of them is borderline suicide.

Honestly, you can't just ignore a Pokemon's base stats, even in the begining. You may be forgiven for ignoring EV's, IV's and maybe even Natures, but Pokemon isn't a game where you can just "win with your favorites." Flareon has an amazing attack stat, but is a shitty Pokemon. Meganium has pretty solid defenses, but it's a shitty Pokemon. Bastiodon, a steel type, has amazing defensive stats, but you'd be laughed at for using one, because it's shit.

When looking for a Pokemon to fill a roll you need, it's not as simple as thinking "I need this type for my wall and this one for my sweeper." Porygon 2 is an exellect wall/tank, but it's a Normal type, and it's defensive stats are only slightly above average.

I like I said, start by copying other teams and learning how they work. You don't learn to compose by writing your own music. You do so by reading other people's music.

Hmm, a lot of work, and I just don't weant to be a punching bag online. *sigh*