By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do people act like MK & SSB is all the Wii U has?

oniyide said:

Ninty hasnt had a great e3 in the past couple of years not compared to the comp. Hell they didnt even show up last year. So forgive people if they dont expect much from Ninty on that front.

You realize Nintendo were very present on the 2013 e3 show floor ? What differed from previous years is simply that they replaced the traditional conference for a big Nintendo direct fulfilling the same role. I thought it was pretty known by now.

Around the Network

Seece said:

It's not $300 tho, it's readily and easily available for much less. Here in the UK you could get it for less than a 360 and PS3 at one point.

My second point is entirely correct, the way I see it there is no target audience for WiiU. It will not claw in the casuals the Wii netted, they're long gone to tablets/phones, and core gamers will find what they need elsewhere. It appeals to Nintendo gamers but who knows how big that userbase is these days. Some products however good are just not destined for success.

It's exactly why WiiU has done as bad as it has, not just 'not like Wii' but bad. Because there is no audience apart from the Nintendo fans that are interested.

I admit that I can't keep up with pricing outside of the U.S, but you say "at one point" and I'm assuming that was before many exclusives were released. Either way, the marketing is horrible and one of the bigger problems. Even with a low price, it would go unnoticed.

The Wii U is currently selling worse than the GC. So even the Nintendo faithful are largely ignoring. I think price and lack of games are reasons for that. As far as an extended audience? Marketing is key. (Including word of mouth)

oniyide said:

why people are still in denial about this i wil never know. It really is GC all over again, not that there is anything wrong with that. I liked that system

It's not denial. (For me at least) I don't expect it to be a huge success but it certainly will get better.

*Sound Of Rain said:

Seece said:

It's not $300 tho, it's readily and easily available for much less. Here in the UK you could get it for less than a 360 and PS3 at one point.

My second point is entirely correct, the way I see it there is no target audience for WiiU. It will not claw in the casuals the Wii netted, they're long gone to tablets/phones, and core gamers will find what they need elsewhere. It appeals to Nintendo gamers but who knows how big that userbase is these days. Some products however good are just not destined for success.

It's exactly why WiiU has done as bad as it has, not just 'not like Wii' but bad. Because there is no audience apart from the Nintendo fans that are interested.

I admit that I can't keep up with pricing outside of the U.S, but you say "at one point" and I'm assuming that was before many exclusives were released. Either way, the marketing is horrible and one of the bigger problems. Even with a low price, it would go unnoticed.

The Wii U is currently selling worse than the GC. So even the Nintendo faithful are largely ignoring. I think price and lack of games are reasons for that. As far as an extended audience? Marketing is key. (Including word of mouth)

oniyide said:

why people are still in denial about this i wil never know. It really is GC all over again, not that there is anything wrong with that. I liked that system

It's not denial. (For me at least) I don't expect it to be a huge success but it certainly will get better.

No, it was a last ditch effort before the store discontinued it along with others.

Your opinion it's marketing that's the problem, that's fine. I disagree, it's the very concept of WiiU and that it tries to be an everymans console but doesn't succeed with anyone but Nintendo fans, no target audience outside of that no matter what exclusive there are. Just like the gamecube.

On another note, why does a console have to have some sort of magic pill that fixes things. Some things don't do well and it stays that way.

Seece said:

No, it was a last ditch effort before the store discontinued it along with others.

Your opinion it's marketing that's the problem, that's fine. I disagree, it's the very concept of WiiU and that it tries to be an everymans console but doesn't succeed with anyone but Nintendo fans, no target audience outside of that no matter what exclusive there are. Just like the gamecube.

On another note, why does a console have to have some sort of magic pill that fixes things. Some things don't do well and it stays that way.

Well that does make a lot of sense business wise. I'm sure the Wii U was taking up shelf space for nothing over in Europe. Hopefully, they bring it back once Wii U sales pick up. (If)

You could be entirely correct about the Wii U concept being flawed. I would wait until Nintendo actually tries to push the Wii U before stating that the Wii U is flawed in design though. (It is in terms of they thought it'd be another Wii which it won't. However, I think it can reach N64 levels still if they don't abandon it) At least the GC had marketing (at least at first) and a lower price before it was labeled a fail. Who knows if we'll ever know if my theory is correct. (About marketing and price) Nintendo might never invest in marketing for it.

I agree. Some products just don't click with the consumer. Wii U could wind up being one of them. Only time will tell if the Wii U can turn around or if Nintendo even cares for it to. I think it will (again to N64 levels) but we'll know around E3.

Zero999 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mario kart was the king Mario game on the Wii thats why. It tends to be high on the list of top sellers in every gen for mario. Super Smash wont do as well. There are other games but if Mario Kart and Super Smash don't sell well its pretty much over.

you're not answering the thread's question.

My answer is that there wont be a game until Nintendo tries something new. If the usual suspects cant save it then it the new gamer (god forbid) will truly have to be a great exclusive and not multiplat. There are no other games of note including Zelda and the Wii gimmick no longer works. The Wii U is going to probably do worse than GC numbers the way things are going. This generation the Wii U will be cannibalized by the Wii U and having ported games on both platforms isnt helping. The DS version will still feature multiplayer and will still be cheaper in the end. The Wii U loses by default there. I believe this is why MS pushed back the 360 release date of Titanfall, because it would cannibalize the Xbox Ones chances of regaining marketshare at launch against the PS4.

Around the Network
Luck said:
oniyide said:

Ninty hasnt had a great e3 in the past couple of years not compared to the comp. Hell they didnt even show up last year. So forgive people if they dont expect much from Ninty on that front.

You realize Nintendo were very present on the 2013 e3 show floor ? What differed from previous years is simply that they replaced the traditional conference for a big Nintendo direct fulfilling the same role. I thought it was pretty known by now.

but that was NOTHING compared to the other two conferences, and thats my point. OP asked why nobody expected much from Ninty for E3 well how can you? when they dont bring it like the other two?

*Sound Of Rain said:

oniyide said:

i wasnt talking about you in particular, but there are some people who do think it will somehow end up selling much better than GC

*Sound Of Rain said:
Seece said:

Well that does make a lot of sense business wise. I'm sure the Wii U was taking up shelf space for nothing over in Europe. Hopefully, they bring it back once Wii U sales pick up. (If)

You could be entirely correct about the Wii U concept being flawed. I would wait until Nintendo actually tries to push the Wii U before stating that the Wii U is flawed in design though. (It is in terms of they thought it'd be another Wii which it won't. However, I think it can reach N64 levels still if they don't abandon it) At least the GC had marketing (at least at first) and a lower price before it was labeled a fail. Who knows if we'll ever know if my theory is correct. (About marketing and price) Nintendo might never invest in marketing for it.

I agree. Some products just don't click with the consumer. Wii U could wind up being one of them. Only time will tell if the Wii U can turn around or if Nintendo even cares for it to. I think it will (again to N64 levels) but we'll know around E3.

No, its not up to Nintendo to tell us the desing is flawed, they most likely wont admit it is. It is up to the people to decide it is, and guess what, they are saying it is flawed by not buying it. I also dont buy the marketing, people know it exists they dont care thats the problem

Those are the only big games this year that have a decent chance at doing well. People are saying that if those aren't system sellers, the wiiU has basically no chance of doing well.

Seece said:
*Sound Of Rain said:
Seece said:

Both of these questions can be answered by looking at the past 18 months of WiiU. No games have pushed WiiU so far, that's why over 18 months which includes 2 holiday seasons they've barely hit 6 mill. Smash and MK are considered their biggest hits in terms of selling hardware.

XBOX has a target audience, that audience will react to price cuts and bundles. WiiU won't. It's that simple.

I think the issue is people not willing to pay $300 for some Mario platformer and a Zelda remake. More games will surely spur more people to buy the Wii U.

Normally, your posts are well thought out rather than saying something that is just a random opinion. You use facts. However, your 2nd sentence about a price cut not helping the Wii U comes off as just saying something to say it. Do you really believe a price cut to go along with more games won't have any impact on baseline sales? 

Marketing is another big problem. So far, Wii U marketing has been one of the worst for a system I've ever seen.

Bold 1: Yes, but mostily this kind of promotion goes for one day, and then back to the bigger price. Besides, with no actual promotion from nintendo, people don't think: oh, neat, will save to buy one next month.  Its not like everyone is aware of the lowest price. When nitnendo did that small price cut, helped wiiu a litle, more than any other price cut not official from any retalier.

Bold 2:I dunno man, there are 44mil 3DS out there, and the biggers seller are all nitendo stuff mostly, and almost none is something new. Almost all the third party are ports that are avaiable in other plattaforms. So the problem with wiiu is a reaction really slow to problems with they had. And at this point, i don't know if there is apoitn of return or i nintendo i willing to jump in.

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko