By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - gauging interest in a vgchartz book club

Are you interested in joining a vgchartz book club?

Very interested 5 38.46%

Slightly interested 5 38.46%

Not now, maybe later 0 0%

Not interested at all 3 23.08%

Total:13

So, I was wondering how many people on vgchartz read books and like discussing them.  I know me and Kantor do, but when we make threads to discuss them they often just come down to me and Kantor talking to each other because nobody else on the forum has read the books we are discussing.  

So that got me thinking, what if we had a sort of book club, where we could take a month and read a book and then discuss it at length in a thread.  The material would be fresh for everybody and I think it could be fun to see how other people interpreted events and such.  

I know me and Kantor enjoy the fantasy genre a lot and I think that genre fits this forum pretty well.  So we could start off with some fantasy series, but I'm certainly not opposed to other genre's if that is what everybody wants to do.  I read just about everything.  

Anyway, so this thread is just so I can gauge if there is actually enough interest to do something like this.  I'm guessing we would probably want at the very least about 7 to 10 very interested people to make it work right.  If you are only slightly interested in doing it, that is great too.  Put a comment down and give your opinion on what you think!

Around the Network

I might be interested, assuming you can get all books on a kindle which hopefully you can. I like the fantasy genre, as well crime/detective stuff and sci-fi.

Feel free to message me if you end up taking this further

celador said:
I might be interested, assuming you can get all books on a kindle which hopefully you can. I like the fantasy genre, as well crime/detective stuff and sci-fi.

Feel free to message me if you end up taking this further

yeah, I'm sure we wouldn't do anything so obscure it wouldn't be on a kindle.  

Sounds cool to me. I read a fair bit, albeit not much that was written after 1950.

Unfortunately, while this is obviously the correct forum, I think general discussion not appearing on the main page (which is a mistake and huge annoyance, IMO) means that like 90% of people won't see this thread.

Somewhat interested, though I've already got a stack of books ready for this summer (sf/fantasy). Currently reading the last volume of the wheel of time.

Does a kindle work well in direct sunlight? Is it water poof, fit in a pocket? I'm still sticking to paperbacks, although the quality of those keeps going down. 1 out of 5 fall apart before I'm through with them. (They survive being left out in the rain at least)

Price wise I'm not sure either, Memory of light was CAD 5.99, free delivery (with other items) Seems hard to beat and a lot of books to pay for a Kindle. Plus Amazon only gives me pricing not available when I look up books in the Kindle store :/

Edit: Oh it means "This item is not available for your country" (Canada) Sticking to paperbacks then. None of the books I bought have a kindle edition in Canada, wtf. Plus Memory of light on US kindle store is $7.14 Go digital! not.

Around the Network
badgenome said:

Sounds cool to me. I read a fair bit, albeit not much that was written after 1950.

Unfortunately, while this is obviously the correct forum, I think general discussion not appearing on the main page (which is a mistake and huge annoyance, IMO) means that like 90% of people won't see this thread.

I know, super annoying.  That is why I started posting on peoples walls.  There probably could be enough people, but if i posted a thread like this a different forum, at least half the posts would be from people telling me it was in the wrong forum...

SvennoJ said:

Somewhat interested, though I've already got a stack of books ready for this summer (sf/fantasy). Currently reading the last volume of the wheel of time.

Does a kindle work well in direct sunlight? Is it water poof, fit in a pocket? I'm still sticking to paperbacks, although the quality of those keeps going down. 1 out of 5 fall apart before I'm through with them. (They survive being left out in the rain at least)

Price wise I'm not sure either, Memory of light was CAD 5.99, free delivery (with other items) Seems hard to beat and a lot of books to pay for a Kindle. Plus Amazon only gives me pricing not available when I look up books in the Kindle store :/

Edit: Oh it means "This item is not available for your country" (Canada) Sticking to paperbacks then. None of the books I bought have a kindle edition in Canada, wtf. Plus Memory of light on US kindle store is $7.14 Go digital! not.

What the hell?  Kindle books arent working in canada?  That is so weird to me, anything available in US should be available there.  All well.  Kindle is cool to have, especially if you are sharing the kindle acount (and the cost) with other people.  If it is only for you though it is hard to justify as for some reason the price is either more or the same as paperback books.  

Out of curiosity, have you read the stormlight archive books or are they on your list?  

gergroy said:
SvennoJ said:

What the hell?  Kindle books arent working in canada?  That is so weird to me, anything available in US should be available there.  All well.  Kindle is cool to have, especially if you are sharing the kindle acount (and the cost) with other people.  If it is only for you though it is hard to justify as for some reason the price is either more or the same as paperback books.  

Out of curiosity, have you read the stormlight archive books or are they on your list?  

Maybe I'm bugged. I signed up with amazon.com way back in '98 when I was still living in Europe. According to this: http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2013/01/20/amazon-now-forcing-canadian-kindle-owners-to-switch-to-canadian-kindle-store/#.U0jj9Fc4LlI I should be seeing the not available for Amazon.com editions, not for Amazon.ca. I have been buying movies from amazon.ca since 2008 though.

Stormlight looks interesting. My dad send me Elantris and Warbreaker for my birthday, he's reading Brandon Sanderson too now since he took over the wheel of time series. Hopefully Sanderson will outlive his planned epic. The wheel of time took 23 years to make, no rush to start reading Stormlight. I see Sanderson is a year younger than me, he should be able to finish it.

After the Wheel of time I'll probably read Game of Thrones book 5, followed by The long earth and The long war by Terry pratchet and Stephen Baxter. I'm very curious how those two are going to mix their writing styles.

I would say "let's start with Words of Radiance" but that would require reading 2000 pages (you'd need to read The Way of Kings as well) for most of you

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
I would say "let's start with Words of Radiance" but that would require reading 2000 pages (you'd need to read The Way of Kings as well) for most of you

Lol, yeah, we would have towork our way up to that one.  Probably best to start with something lite, maybe steelheart?