By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Titanfall have the same impact as Call of Duty 4?

another joke thread?

anyway: no, not even close

Click HERE and be happy 

Around the Network
EricFabian said:
another joke thread?

anyway: no, not even close

All my threads are serious. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Arkaign said:
Honestly, I think that Titanfall could have been that game, but it needed a few more checkboxes :

(1)- A great SP campaign. Sure, not everyone cares, but plenty of people DO care. They also make terrific showcases for graphics, as you can turn settings up even higher than MP modes. The futuristic setting could have made been pretty awesome for a SP game, and the design would have lent well to co-op.

(2)- It needed a better engine. The Source engine is older than dirt, and no amount of patching will bring it up to speed starting with those bones. It just doesn't load cores well, and the XB1 (PS4 would have been similar, but with higher visual settings) would have done so much better with an engine that works better with quad and hex core setups. On PC, a $50 celeron + 750ti plays Titanfall @ 1080p nicely. Yes, a $50 DUAL CORE + $150 entry-level GPU. Most of that is due to terrible engine. Also, a fantastic engine would have let you have immense destructive powers. When I play it, I'm always struck by how these massive Titans with their crazy weapons can fire away at buildings, and much of the time not even leave so much as a scratch really. The maps should look like smoldering rubble at the end of a good match, not shiny and in the same condition as the beginning of the game.

(3)- It needed a bit more time. I feel they rushed it, probably at EA/MS behest, and that the launch product is unfinished in terms of content. Another 3-4 months of round-the-clock content would have really been incredible. How about another class of Titan past the ogre that could have a 2nd pilot location for a rear turret + directed shield control system? How about small/midsize vehicles and installations? How about an 8v8 or 10v10 mode exclusive to the next-gen console(s) and PC? As the X360 can easily run 6v6 + hordes of drones, the XB1 with a better engine could have run more players. Even a 2v2 mode with the mega-titans would have been pretty sweet as a duel mode.

(4)- It needed simultaneous launch on all relevant platforms. Moneyhatting this was always going to doom it to less total sales, but even without moneyhatting, it was really sacrificed at the altar of the XB1. Rushed to release with low content and less than perfect performance, and on a console platform that maybe 1% of global console players owned at that point in time. Same-time launch of 360+XB1 with cross-platform co-op would have been much more epic. But now the hype has died off largely, and the 360 version may not even sell that well, which is criminal considering how well done that port is.

If it had those checkboxed, and had the same level of hype, I could see it being just insane sales (like GTAV sales).

You know I'm right, if all that had happened, they'd be killing it right now beyond belief.

And if the sequel checks all of those boxes, then it CAN be the GOTG without a doubt. Reply and tell me I'm right, and that I should be hired as the head of development for Titanfall 2, hahaha. :D

#1 and #4 are pretty much common sense if you arr looking for mass market penetration. I disagree with #2 and the jury is still out on #3.

CoD has proven you dont need an uber high tech brand new engine. And fuck destruction. The game is perfectly balanced as it is. Allowing buildings to be leveled gives Pilots nowhere to run.

The time factor, they can always add new modes to the game. I will take less but perfectly balanced content over more but wildly unbalanced content any day of the week. 

I don't think people are tired of modern era shooters. They seem to like realism (not that Call of Duty is realistic) and things they can relate to, lately.

Sales wise no.

"These are the highest quality pixels that anybody has seen"

Around the Network
Raistline said:
ParryWinkle said:
Not really.
I kind of miss WWII shooters. I'm tired of all this Russia shit.

The type of FPS that I miss most is the explorative dungeon crawl types with loads of secret rooms. Serious Sam is the only modern game that still does this and it is not enough. Sure, add multiplayer but do it fantastical weapons that are unbeleivable, be creative damnit. Stop it with all this soldiery crap already. Let realism go for a bit.

That being said, I find BF4 on PC to be the best multiplayer FPS game out there and I have put countless hours into it already. 

Additional note, I could care less about console only or console designed FPS games that are later ported to PC. KBM is the only true way to play FPS games.

I agree. I rarely play shooters but when I do it's on PC. I much prefer the feel of mouse and keyboard over controller.

Serious Sam is amazingly fun. I find Quake and Halo Custom Edition (with tons of mods) to be the funnest multiplayer games on PC. I haven't played BF4; looks too similar to BF3.

I agree realism is destroying many games. It's almost like people hate fun (wait, people already are saying fun isn't needed in video games.)

J_Allard said:
Arkaign said:
Honestly, I think that Titanfall could have been that game, but it needed a few more checkboxes :

(1)- A great SP campaign. Sure, not everyone cares, but plenty of people DO care. They also make terrific showcases for graphics, as you can turn settings up even higher than MP modes. The futuristic setting could have made been pretty awesome for a SP game, and the design would have lent well to co-op.

(2)- It needed a better engine. The Source engine is older than dirt, and no amount of patching will bring it up to speed starting with those bones. It just doesn't load cores well, and the XB1 (PS4 would have been similar, but with higher visual settings) would have done so much better with an engine that works better with quad and hex core setups. On PC, a $50 celeron + 750ti plays Titanfall @ 1080p nicely. Yes, a $50 DUAL CORE + $150 entry-level GPU. Most of that is due to terrible engine. Also, a fantastic engine would have let you have immense destructive powers. When I play it, I'm always struck by how these massive Titans with their crazy weapons can fire away at buildings, and much of the time not even leave so much as a scratch really. The maps should look like smoldering rubble at the end of a good match, not shiny and in the same condition as the beginning of the game.

(3)- It needed a bit more time. I feel they rushed it, probably at EA/MS behest, and that the launch product is unfinished in terms of content. Another 3-4 months of round-the-clock content would have really been incredible. How about another class of Titan past the ogre that could have a 2nd pilot location for a rear turret + directed shield control system? How about small/midsize vehicles and installations? How about an 8v8 or 10v10 mode exclusive to the next-gen console(s) and PC? As the X360 can easily run 6v6 + hordes of drones, the XB1 with a better engine could have run more players. Even a 2v2 mode with the mega-titans would have been pretty sweet as a duel mode.

(4)- It needed simultaneous launch on all relevant platforms. Moneyhatting this was always going to doom it to less total sales, but even without moneyhatting, it was really sacrificed at the altar of the XB1. Rushed to release with low content and less than perfect performance, and on a console platform that maybe 1% of global console players owned at that point in time. Same-time launch of 360+XB1 with cross-platform co-op would have been much more epic. But now the hype has died off largely, and the 360 version may not even sell that well, which is criminal considering how well done that port is.

If it had those checkboxed, and had the same level of hype, I could see it being just insane sales (like GTAV sales).

You know I'm right, if all that had happened, they'd be killing it right now beyond belief.

And if the sequel checks all of those boxes, then it CAN be the GOTG without a doubt. Reply and tell me I'm right, and that I should be hired as the head of development for Titanfall 2, hahaha. :D

#1 and #4 are pretty much common sense if you arr looking for mass market penetration. I disagree with #2 and the jury is still out on #3.

CoD has proven you dont need an uber high tech brand new engine. And fuck destruction. The game is perfectly balanced as it is. Allowing buildings to be leveled gives Pilots nowhere to run.

The time factor, they can always add new modes to the game. I will take less but perfectly balanced content over more but wildly unbalanced content any day of the week. 

The reason it didnt need a high tech engine is because of how far it was compared to its competitors to begin with.

Titanfall isnt anywhere near as big as COD and using the same engine TF2, is not going to rival the next COD or BF. I know its not ALL about graphics, but most people with chose a game which has nice gameplay and nice graphics over a game which has nice gameplay and average graphics.

We shall see, there will be some kind of Halo game this fall, and Bungie has a new game. So seems like a futuristic shooters are well supported this year.

But then new midevil type games are coming out too: Lord of the Rings, Witcher and that one from kickstarter. Seems like the one getting the short end of the stick is Westerns like: Read Dead and Call of Juarez.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

No just no. No contest.

No, it's not even on the level of Killzone, and doesn't even touch Gears of War or Halo.