By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - i thought dead space 1 was freaking scary!

I personally liked Dead Space 2 better. That Daycare.

Around the Network

Somhow I couldn't enjoy Dead Space. It had a great start, but the best scene was just after the elevator where the lights suddenly went out and you only heard some noises...

I cant tell you why but I simply couldn't attach to the character... So I never felt survival horror because of the weak story and the silent main character. It is hard "fearing" for the survival of a character who is an "empty shell"... No immersion for me. I died... well, just restart from the last checkpoint. Nothing lost.

The environment was bland and repetitive and there were only very few different enemy types. All in all I would give it a 7/10. The technical aspects were fine, but overall it lacked depth and refinement. EA could have done much better and it ended up getting worse instead.

Davman said:

I enjoyed resident evil 1-4 , zero and code veronica , but last generation resident evil  5 & 6 played 30 minutes and abandoned them for later time, not worthy of franchise name.

That's because Resident Evils 5 & 6 weren't developed by Shinji Mikami. A typical oversight made by Resident Evil fans.

It's also funny how Resident Evil fans attack RE 4 and say "THAT game is the reason why Resident Evil franchise went down the action route".

I didn't hear anyone complaining when Resident Evil 4 came out. All I heard was... "OMG! The Regenerator is SCARY! One of the most amazing videogame enemies of all time. He regenerates a body part if you blow it off! Wow!".

Basically, people are looking for a scapegoat for the failure of the franchise.

Pitiful. 

Anyways, Dead Space is a great game. Dr. Charles Mercer is a creepy and scary villain.

hollabackenny said:
I personally liked Dead Space 2 better. That Daycare.

But did you play 1 before that? Maybe the suprising element is gone? I want to play 2 next.

Dead space 1 was great and was still more enjoyable in a second playthrough than a single playthrough of Dead space 2. I didn't pick up the 3rd one. Actually I still have it sitting in my dormant Origin account from a bundle a while ago. Not felt the urge to try it yet.

The first one was great for exploration. the second one felt much more like a linear corridor shooter. It was still fun but it wasn't as immersive, the location didn't feel as real.

None of them are survival horror btw, play Outlast for that.

Around the Network

Good game but not scary. Only jumped once, when i accidentally stepped on those vertical steam vents.

Awesome game, only Fatal Frame 4 tops it for 7th gen horror.

The sequels sucked though.

Great game indeed. I bought it used a few weeks ago after playing the second and third one, and it really did live up to its reputation. The story is incredible, the pace is on point (significantly slower than the sequels, as it should be), the atmosphere is excellent (especially apparent on the 10th chapter) and the gameplay is superb.

After getting all achievements I started challenging myself with trying to beat the game with zero deaths on impossible mode (similarly to DS3's hardcore mode) and I can easily say it's one of the best experiences I've had this generation. All the planning and tension linked with your actual fear of dying (an element sorely missing in today's gaming industry) in combination with the game's general setting makes it the ultimate survival horror experience. I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for a reason to pick the game up again.

I have almost beaten DS1 and I gotta say, while it is a fantastic game, there are some little things that bug me more than they probably should. First of all, saving bringing up the PS UI? That is a terrible design decision in 99% of games. You should incorporate your save system into your own UI. It just breaks the immersion every time I go to save. Also, the mini games are terrible and should not exist. Why throw mini games into a horror game? That decision makes no sense and destroys any potential "fear" for my entire play session.

Realisation said:
Davman said:

I enjoyed resident evil 1-4 , zero and code veronica , but last generation resident evil  5 & 6 played 30 minutes and abandoned them for later time, not worthy of franchise name.

That's because Resident Evils 5 & 6 weren't developed by Shinji Mikami. A typical oversight made by Resident Evil fans.

It's also funny how Resident Evil fans attack RE 4 and say "THAT game is the reason why Resident Evil franchise went down the action route".

I didn't hear anyone complaining when Resident Evil 4 came out. All I heard was... "OMG! The Regenerator is SCARY! One of the most amazing videogame enemies of all time. He regenerates a body part if you blow it off! Wow!".

Basically, people are looking for a scapegoat for the failure of the franchise.

Pitiful. 

Anyways, Dead Space is a great game. Dr. Charles Mercer is a creepy and scary villain.

Quite a few people complained about resident evil 4. Where were you? It's gameplay was fresh and fun but everything else was crap. The story was senseless, a huge departure. It was arcade like, didn't even take itself seriously. Did people tote the regenerator?

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(