By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is the Last of Us Remastered a system seller, or just something to fill a gap in the release schedule?

Both, there are likely people buying PS4 who gamed on Xbox 360 instead of PS3 last time round

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network

It's both. Now, normally I'd say remasters and remakes are not systems seller. H2A, for example, would be great but it'd sell on nostalgia to those that have already played it (and likely would have bought an X1 anyways for Halo).

TLOU on the other hand, is a bit different in my opinion. It's a more recent title and in every single top related to it there's always a few or more posts that talk about how they only owned 360 and regret missing out. For that reason I think TLOU will definitely move some systems. A lot of people missed out on it last gen since PS3 wasn't the dominant console (especially in NA). Now that it's out on PS4, they can make the right choice and jump on that to experience the game. It'll definitely move systems.

Now, how many systems? Who knows, it obviously won't be a GT, but it should provide a boost and move people on the fence into buying a PS4.

Augen said:
I expect it to do well and have some nice legs getting to 2-3 million. If the Tomb Raider can do what it did I see no reason for Last of Us to not have strong sales.

That's not a valid comparison. Tomb Raider is like comparing Black Flag PS3 to Black Flag PS4. Same game, but different versions. What TLoU PS4 is doing is basically a TLoU 1.5 HD Remix. Tomb Raider was Tomb Raider with PS4 graphics, not uprezzed PS3 graphics.

It's both of them, but it's leaning more towards  filling the gap!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

kitler53 said:
both.

mostly a great filler game for the slow launch period. but there are an aweful lot of xbox 360 owners that already see the ps4 is more powerful for $100 less and selling really well. to say ps4 has infamous and TLoU when xbox only has titanfall will probably sway some of the swing voters to ps4.

I was agreeing with your post until the bolded part. Only?

Around the Network
Augen said:
I expect it to do well and have some nice legs getting to 2-3 million. If the Tomb Raider can do what it did I see no reason for Last of Us to not have strong sales.

exactly.   it won't be a huge bump (maybe around 20k boost to ps4) but this is a big game for sony.   it will push a move a few people to jump into next gen.  there are millions of people just waiting for the gen 8 library to get a bit more robust before buying.  when combined with killzone, infamous, watch dogs, tomb raider, and all those indie titles,...  TLoU will be "the staw that broke the camels back" for a few people.

Mostly the latter, could also definitely be the former for many.

It's filler, but I imagine there are a lot of new PS4 owners that missed out on it. It's a for sure million seller.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Wright said:
kitler53 said:
both.

mostly a great filler game for the slow launch period. but there are an aweful lot of xbox 360 owners that already see the ps4 is more powerful for $100 less and selling really well. to say ps4 has infamous and TLoU when xbox only has titanfall will probably sway some of the swing voters to ps4.

Only may be an exaggeration, but so much push/hype was on Titanfall, that everything after that is pretty far away (in terms of exclusives). Kinect Sports Rivals? Meh. The big stuff is all the way out in Fall/Winter AFAIK, which should be a ludicrously fantastic time for all three (XB1/PS4/U).

Arkaign said:
Wright said:

Only may be an exaggeration, but so much push/hype was on Titanfall, that everything after that is pretty far away (in terms of exclusives). Kinect Sports Rivals? Meh. The big stuff is all the way out in Fall/Winter AFAIK, which should be a ludicrously fantastic time for all three (XB1/PS4/U).

Nick Ramos wants to cry :(