By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Smash Bros: 3DS Summer; Wii U Winter

episteme said:
oniyide said:
episteme said:
I think they'll do a special promotion like "register the 3DS version and a Wii U in a certain time frame and get a download code of the Wii U version for free."

And combine that with interesting connectivity features like the ability to play all modes on Wii U if you have both versions.

They want to sell both versions. Different stages, modes and release date.

I only planned to get the Wii U version, but I'm getting both now.

Yeah, casual Smash players with a 3DS will probably only get the 3DS version, but do you seriously think that "real" Smash fans that didn't buy 3DS or Wii U so far will buy a 3DS for Smash and skip the Wii U for it?

here's the thing. how much "real" smash bros players are there? Id bet its not enough to turn Wii U around. IMHO that number will be much closer to Melee sales than Brawl sales.

But closer to Melee than Brawl doesn't mean that it's bad. I'd predict 8M LTD for the Wii U version at the moment which would be a success in my opinion.

Depends what you mean by turning the Wii U around.

Outselling the competition over long periods of time? No.

Stop losing money on the Wii U with the releases of MK8 and SSB? I'd say yes.

I just can't imagine that many Melee and Brawl fans buy the 3DS version alone. The competitive community will be mostly on Wii U.

but closer to Melee isnt moving consoles. Not saying that software will do bad, that was never in question. 

Turning Wii U around is doing better than GC IMHO. Since that was universally considered a sales failure

Im a Smash fan and honestly. It really depends on how things go, I have a 3ds and i will be satisfied as long as its good. I already had bought Wii for Brawl...and yeah not making that mistake again. Wii U version would have to be exceptional for me to plunk down money for the system to play it.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
episteme said:
oniyide said:
episteme said:
I think they'll do a special promotion like "register the 3DS version and a Wii U in a certain time frame and get a download code of the Wii U version for free."

And combine that with interesting connectivity features like the ability to play all modes on Wii U if you have both versions.

They want to sell both versions. Different stages, modes and release date.

I only planned to get the Wii U version, but I'm getting both now.

Yeah, casual Smash players with a 3DS will probably only get the 3DS version, but do you seriously think that "real" Smash fans that didn't buy 3DS or Wii U so far will buy a 3DS for Smash and skip the Wii U for it?

here's the thing. how much "real" smash bros players are there? Id bet its not enough to turn Wii U around. IMHO that number will be much closer to Melee sales than Brawl sales.

But closer to Melee than Brawl doesn't mean that it's bad. I'd predict 8M LTD for the Wii U version at the moment which would be a success in my opinion.

Depends what you mean by turning the Wii U around.

Outselling the competition over long periods of time? No.

Stop losing money on the Wii U with the releases of MK8 and SSB? I'd say yes.

I just can't imagine that many Melee and Brawl fans buy the 3DS version alone. The competitive community will be mostly on Wii U.

but closer to Melee isnt moving consoles. Not saying that software will do bad, that was never in question. 

Turning Wii U around is doing better than GC IMHO. Since that was universally considered a sales failure

Im a Smash fan and honestly. It really depends on how things go, I have a 3ds and i will be satisfied as long as its good. I already had bought Wii for Brawl...and yeah not making that mistake again. Wii U version would have to be exceptional for me to plunk down money for the system to play it.

Buying a console for a single game is never a good idea. Don't you like other Nintendo franchises or did you buy the 3DS for third party games?

MK and SSB are the most mainstream Nintendo franchises besides 2D Mario. If they don't push it over GC levels, nothing will. They could only beat it's second half that didn't have as many good game releases as the first half. The GameCube had a great lineup in the first two years and RE4 didn't stay exclusive.

I think the Wii U version will have a better exclusive mode than the 3DS version and the online experience will be better, too. And the controls will probably suck on 3DS.

episteme said:
oniyide said:
episteme said:
oniyide said:
episteme said:

I think the Wii U version will have a better exclusive mode than the 3DS version and the online experience will be better, too. And the controls will probably suck on 3DS.

lol really? Wii U sales are that important to you that you'd wish for another game to suck so it could maybe sell better?

Einsam_Delphin said:
episteme said:
oniyide said:
episteme said:
oniyide said:
episteme said:

lol really? Wii U sales are that important to you that you'd wish for another game to suck so it could maybe sell better?

I'm sure he is just saying playing Smash on home console is the superior experience with better controls, graphics, and extras.

oniyide said:
sethnintendo said:
oniyide said:
anyone who really thinks MK8 is going to carry the Wii U till winter, is crazy.

It will carry it enough.  It will probably be enough to keep the Wii U ahead of Xbox till the holiday season.  Wii U won't take back the lead from Sony but it should stay ahead of Microsoft in sales.  Does that sound crazy to you?

honestly? yes it does. You are still putting too much stock in MK8, actually scratch that you are putting too much faith in HW period. Wii U is not desired HW xone is that is a system people want at least more than Wii U. Wii u will be above it for a couple of weeks, but till holidays? with xone getting big 3rd party games? (Batman, AC) no really

I wasn't saying that the Wii U would outsell the Xbox One every week after MK8 release.  I was saying that the Xbox One lifetime sales won't surpass Wii U this year.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
episteme said:
oniyide said:
episteme said:
oniyide said:
episteme said:

I'm sure he is just saying playing Smash on home console is the superior experience with better controls, graphics, and extras.

He said the controls would suck, hence the overall game would suck! That's pure nonsense as all Nintendo made 3DS games have had great controls!

Einsam_Delphin said:
sethnintendo said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
episteme said:
oniyide said:
episteme said:
oniyide said:
episteme said:

He said the controls would suck, hence the overall game would suck! That's pure nonsense as all Nintendo made 3DS games have had great controls!

Tell that to someone who writes with their left hand trying to hold the stylus in their right hand while playing Kid Icarus.  I still need to buy the circle pad pro just so I can finish the game instead of attempting to half ass aim with the abxy buttons (considering I don't like any of the other control options).

sethnintendo said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

Tell that to someone who writes with their left hand trying to hold the stylus in their right hand while playing Kid Icarus.  I still need to buy the circle pad pro just so I can finish the game instead of attempting to half ass aim with the abxy buttons (considering I don't like any of the other control options).

The one exception! But it's an irrelevant example since SSB only needs one control stick/circle pad and certainly wont need the stylus.

Quote Tree Trimmed - Conegamer (but at least you tried!)

episteme said:

I doubt the the competative community  will make much of a difference.

Einsam_Delphin said:
episteme said:

No, the Circle Pad isn't that great for fighting games and Smash Bros. doesn't work with the D-Pad like Tekken or Street Fighter.

I didn't say that the game will suck. I'll get it on 3DS, too, but the controls will probably be a pain because I already have to use the MK7 wheel to get no cramps in longer play sessions. Let's hope that the Circle Pad Pro works with it.