By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should pro gamers be considered as athletes?

Tagged games:

Should pro gamers be considered as athletes?

Yes 50 14.66%

No 263 77.13%

indifferent 17 4.99%

Where am I? 10 2.93%

Total:340
Zeus09 said:
why the hell should you.get respect from playing games all day

The same can be said for all entertainers, it isn't a job that exists to change the world, but we all like to be entertained.

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:
I put video gamers in the same category as board gamers or card players and since I don't refer to world ranked chess players or professional poker players as athletes, you can see where my opinion is coming from.

I can understand why competitive gamers would like to call themselves athletes, but the only relevance here is that there are varying levels of skill that elevate all the way to a professional, ranked level of play. The skills sets don't require agility, balance, body movement or any type of physical exertion that defines sports games.

Having the level of dedication required to be at that level is both uncommon and respectable, but I would not place a world champion Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat player in the same category as a professional boxer or MMA fighter. I certainly wouldn't call them both athletes any more than I'd consider a world class EA Sports NBA 2014 player an athlete same as someone who actually played in the NBA.

Yeah basically that.

e-sports is just as "athletic" as professional chess players.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

I'm really surprised by the lack of understanding from the gaming community no less.
The comparisons with chess are not only stupid but hurtful to the gaming community. Chess is a game of mind that requires absolutely no skill whatsoever. Compare that with a round of Starcraft or CS which require not only intelligence but skill that none of you would ever achieve in a lifetime. And instead of appreciating our kind that is so in love with games that they take it to the next level you are belittling their achievements.
That close minded definition of sport: "You have to move your body and sweat a lot" is long outdated. People will consider everything that requires some amount of physical skill and/or intelligence as a sport if it is pursued competitively. Think of Darts or Curling or Snooker.

I wonder what you people would think of a professional DDR gamer.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

greenmedic88 said:
I put video gamers in the same category as board gamers or card players and since I don't refer to world ranked chess players or professional poker players as athletes, you can see where my opinion is coming from.

I can understand why competitive gamers would like to call themselves athletes, but the only relevance here is that there are varying levels of skill that elevate all the way to a professional, ranked level of play. The skills sets don't require agility, balance, body movement or any type of physical exertion that defines sports games.

Having the level of dedication required to be at that level is both uncommon and respectable, but I would not place a world champion Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat player in the same category as a professional boxer or MMA fighter. I certainly wouldn't call them both athletes any more than I'd consider a world class EA Sports NBA 2014 player an athlete same as someone who actually played in the NBA.

Dis.

No.. Even those participating in motorsports (f1, nascar, motgp etc..) aren't considered athletes..

Around the Network

They're just video game competitors, not athletes. eCompetition.

"Its like a Hot dog eating contest, and that is not a sport."

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Not until foosball is considered an actual sport.

vivster said:
That close minded definition of sport: "You have to move your body and sweat a lot" is long outdated. People will consider everything that requires some amount of physical skill and/or intelligence as a sport if it is pursued competitively. Think of Darts or Curling or Snooker.

I wonder what you people would think of a professional DDR gamer.

This so much, it's already starting to change.

Maybe I'd stop getting called lazy

No.
I won't form my opinion on why, because this question always sounded too stupid to be asked in the first place ~