By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should pro gamers be considered as athletes?

Tagged games:

Should pro gamers be considered as athletes?

Yes 50 14.66%

No 263 77.13%

indifferent 17 4.99%

Where am I? 10 2.93%

Total:340

one name LeBron James so no

Around the Network
Zeus09 said:
why the hell should you.get respect from playing games all day

If people are willing to watch you play a game competitively then why shouldn't you? Professional Chess is a thing

Squeezol's Fanclub Member? is that how it works?

Why can't I hold all these no gaemz?

Always looking to improve my awful drawings ;_; 

No.

ath·lete
ˈaTHˌlēt/
noun

1. 1.
    a person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!HAAHAHAHAHAH

no

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~
toot1231 said:
ath·lete
ˈaTHˌlēt/
noun

1. 1.

no

Moving your hands is a lot of physical exercise n_n but as I pointed out there's a bunch of varying definitions.

Around the Network

Nope. Athletes are people that go above and beyond in terms of physicality to excel at physically challenging sports. Staying up all night getting good at a video game is awesome and fun, but does not make you an athlete.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

iceland said:
toot1231 said:
ath·lete
ˈaTHˌlēt/
noun

1. 1.

no

Moving your hands is a lot of physical exercise n_n but as I pointed out there's a bunch of varying definitions.

no just no.

gamers should never be considered athletes.

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~

yes.
they might not look ripped or all that shit. But they are entertainers of the crowd and should be considered competitive sporters.

I put video gamers in the same category as board gamers or card players and since I don't refer to world ranked chess players or professional poker players as athletes, you can see where my opinion is coming from.

I can understand why competitive gamers would like to call themselves athletes, but the only relevance here is that there are varying levels of skill that elevate all the way to a professional, ranked level of play. The skills sets don't require agility, balance, body movement or any type of physical exertion that defines sports games.

Having the level of dedication required to be at that level is both uncommon and respectable, but I would not place a world champion Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat player in the same category as a professional boxer or MMA fighter. I certainly wouldn't call them both athletes any more than I'd consider a world class EA Sports NBA 2014 player an athlete same as someone who actually played in the NBA.

Lol, no.