By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should pro gamers be considered as athletes?

Tagged games:

Should pro gamers be considered as athletes?

Yes 50 14.66%

No 263 77.13%

indifferent 17 4.99%

Where am I? 10 2.93%

Total:340

I can't wait for wrestling to leave the Olympics and be replaced by a video game competition. Soon we could be watching people play video games on NBC for a gold medal...

Around the Network

No.

Are professional chess players considered athletes?

Sure there's the fast twitch type of pro game, but there's also the likes of Hearthstone which requires no fast twitch, muscle memory, reflex action ability. It's all or nothing when it comes to video games, and I don't think minimal physical exertions required even for the fps and fighter pro-gaming can be called atheletic.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I voted YES. 

I think part of the reason many vote no is due to the semantics, or the english use of a word "Athlete". I am not a native English speaker, and we usually use the word "Sportsman", which actually fits better. 

I do agree that "athlete" symbolizes someone's physique, and it's tough to wrap your mind around an idea of gamers of all shapes and sizes as athletic. But they most certainly fit the description of "sportsmen" the same as bowling, chess, bridge, darts or snooker. And the main reason many like to dismiss esports is because gaming is still being considered infantile, while darts or pool are adult "sports", mainly because their primary venue are bars and pubs.

badgenome said:
athlete: a person who is trained in or good at sports, games, or exercises that require physical skill and strength

Nope.

athlete: a person who is trained in or good at sports, games, or exercises that require physical skill and strength

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

Around the Network

Interesting that so many people here say they are not athletes unless they are doing some intense form of exercise, but Curling is considered an Olympic sport, which as far as i can tell, requires very little exertion.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

Cleary397 said:

When pro gaming is done with 200 lb Wiimotes, I'll change my mind.

badgenome said:
Cleary397 said:

Playing SC2 for 10+ hours a day requires a massive amount of stamina and physical skill

badgenome said:
Cleary397 said:

When pro gaming is done with 200 lb Wiimotes, I'll change my mind.

The Wiimote doesn't weigh 200lbs?

Cleary397 said:
badgenome said:
Cleary397 said:

Playing SC2 for 10+ hours a day requires a massive amount of stamina and physical skill

Playing Ride to Hell for 10hours takes even more stamina and psichologic strength. That make you a athete ?