By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should pro gamers be considered as athletes?

Tagged games:

Should pro gamers be considered as athletes?

Yes 50 14.66%

No 263 77.13%

indifferent 17 4.99%

Where am I? 10 2.93%

Total:340
Cleary397 said:

Playing SC2 for 10+ hours a day requires a massive amount of stamina and physical skill

Hahaha, no. That's like saying using Facebook or Twitter for 10+ hours a day requires a massive amount of stamina and skill.

Around the Network

If professional Poker is a sport then Shouldn't eSports be considered a sport?

Muffin31190 said:

Yes, so poker shouldn't be considered a sport, either.

If poker is a sport, so is Magic: The Gathering. If Magic: The Gathering is a sport, then the word sport has no meaning at all.

Edit: Or put it this way. It may be a "sport", but its players are not athletes.

badgenome said:
Cleary397 said:

athlete: a person who is trained in or good at sports, games, or exercises that require physical skill and strength

When pro gaming is done with 200 lb Wiimotes, I'll change my mind.

So any activity not done with at least 200lb of weight is not a sport in your mind?

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

Competitive gaming is as much a sport as chess imo, but I wouldn't call either an athlete. People are even arguing whether or not race drivers are athletes (they truly are imo, most people have no idea how much physical strain is put on the body during a race).
Playing video games in and on itself is not any form of athleticism, agreed? Then by extension; I would argue that people who happen to compete in said video games aren't athletes, a simple change of setting does nothing to change that (a ferocious Starcraft match on LAN vs one in a contest).
E-gaming has been classified as sports in more and more places, and that's fine, sports as an expression does not imply that there is a heavy element of athleticism involved, the term "athlete" does not cover e-gaming competitors in my honest opinion.

Bottom line for me; sportsman: granted, why not? Athlete: no, not as such, there is no proper grounds for calling these competitors athletes.

Around the Network
Cleary397 said:

So any activity not done with at least 200lb of weight is not a sport in your mind?

No. But any activity that involves sitting in a chair and clicking a mouse is not a sport in my mind, and its players are sure as hell not athletes. If they are then my greatest show of athleticism was playing Final Fantasy IV for 24 hours straight when I was 12.

badgenome said:
Muffin31190 said:

If poker is a sport, so is Magic: The Gathering. If Magic: The Gathering is a sport, then the word sport has no meaning at all.

Edit: Or put it this way. It may be a "sport", but its players are not athletes.

To bad it is, and by the US government eSports Athlete's are considered Athlete's so they win XD

Maybe on day we will se it In the Olympics.

Muffin31190 said:

To bad it is, and by the US government eSports Athlete's are considered Athlete's so they win XD

The US government is wrong about everything, so I win.

badgenome said:
Muffin31190 said:

So would you be happy if pro gamers are labeled as a "Sportsman" like someone mentioned earlier in the thread? If so I can agree with that, I think it's a much more fitting title.

iceland said:
Do you think gamers should be able to  enroll in a University as a student athlete?

The only question coming to my mind is: What difference does it make, in practice?

I mean, I'd also be generally fine if some guy enrolled in a University as a woman, a chicken or a cheeseburger, if that's what he considers himself and it doesn't make any actual difference anyway.

If, however, it's because there are certain advantages related to enrolling as a woman, chicken, cheeseburger or whatever, I might be against them enrolling as that, I might protest "Hey, you're not a cheeseburger!"

iceland said:
they think it's easy and they're lazy or whatever but I don't think the general public knows how hard it really is to become a pro. These pros are practicing every day, the strategy and stamina involved is crazy. Sure it's not what we think of traditionally as a athlete, but I do think it's something we should consider.

Almost the same can be said about musicians. Should we consider them athletes too? and if so: Why? What's the point?!?