By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Who is the one real Icon and Face of Pro Wrestling through history?

Who is the one real Icon and Face of Pro Wrestling through history?

Hulk Hogan 216 57.75%

Ric Flair 6 1.60%

The Undertaker 32 8.56%

Sting 4 1.07%

Stone Cold Steve Austin 31 8.29%

The Rock 46 12.30%

Shawn Michaels 7 1.87%

Bret Hart 14 3.74%

John Cena 7 1.87%

Andre the Giant 9 2.41%

Total:372

Definitely Andre the Giant.

Around the Network
gooch_destroyer said:

Bret screwed Bret.

I'll screw you!

badgenome said:
gooch_destroyer said:

Bret screwed Bret.

I'll screw you!

Oh boy.
Better prepare for an

badgenome said:
gooch_destroyer said:

Bret screwed Bret.

I'll screw you!

"b-badgenome-senpai!"

MohammadBadir said:

Oh boy.
Better prepare for an

Ah, it's not really that incredible. Slightly bigger than average is all.

Around the Network

Not one single Ric Flair gif in this thread? Shame on y'all.

Edit - And who voted John Cena? Admit it...

badgenome said:
random15 said:
lol at people saying hogan. SCSA killed hogan's WCW.

WCW killed WCW.

Agreed with this. Poor booking (video below) and a stagnant top tier of talant was WCW's demise....  Russo.... 

Carl2291 said:

Not one single Ric Flair gif in this thread? Shame on y'all.

Edit - And who voted John Cena? Admit it...

Yeah, The Nature Boy (Flair, not Landel) and the Macho Man were probably my two favorites.  

And regarding tag-teams, nobody compared to these guys:

Hulk Hogan. The Rock is more known for his acting career and Stone Cold's era wasn't that long ago. Hogan is still relevant today even after how much time has passed. Although Hogan is nowhere near my favourite he is the "face" of wrestling.

badgenome said:
d21lewis said:

Not that I want him to be!  It's just that when you look at the matches he's had, the man just steals the show.  I wanted Bret to beat his ass at WM12 but HBK is good.  Damn good.  The man put on a hell of a show in that ring.

I'm still salty about WrestleMania XII, too. And Survivor Series '97. But it did warm my heart to see that they've buried the hatchet.

I don't think Shawn was anywhere near as good as Bret as a worker. As an acrobat and showman, sure, he could run circles around Bret. But I don't think Bret has an equal when it comes to psychology and being a good ring general, which is what wrestling is all about. The big thing that hurts Shawn, I think, is that when he was at his physical peak, he was by his own admission, a fucking asshole prima donna and drug addict. Shawn was a lot more of a natural performer and athlete than Bret (and so, incidentally, was Owen - but unlike Bret and Shawn, Owen didn't really have an emotional need to be a wrestler and really just wanted to go and be a fireman), but Bret could tell a story like nobody else. Mostly because he had a borderline unhealthy obsession with becoming the best at it, he could work with a great deal of subtlety and nuance in a company that was never all that subtle. His matches with Bulldog at SummerSlam '92, Owen at WMX, Austin at WM13... I don't think Shawn has any to his name that are as great as those, except maybe with Bret.

I'd like to add, Bret was untouchable in the ring.  No one did it as good as him, and no one was able to get a match out of anyone like him.  You could have been the worst wrestler in the world, Bret would somehow make you look good.  Now as far as Shawn Michaels goes; he was an entertainer.  Ask him to put a hold on though?  He was good at actually executing a move when it was shown to him though.  But Shawn was a damn good entertainer in the ring.  Interesting how these two's styles clashed, one was a mat technician and made every move count, the other made it damn entertaining.