By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mario Kart 8 grafix

Ryudo said:

For anyone who thinks this can run on PS3/360. MK8 to even run on PC would have to be developed with a 64bit OS in mind and PC games a good lot of them still develop under 32 bit.

Oh and guess what Mario kart has had 3 arcade games and the 2013 version is not running on triforce but a baord stronger than PS3/360 and this is the result

So even that 360 and PS3 would need a downgrade.

MK8 is both technically impressive and artistically. The game is the best looking console game to date. period.

You are forgetting how optimized the PS3 and 360 are vs the WiiU. The PS3 and 360 can run games like Halo 4 and TLOU on 500MB of ram, the minimum spec requirement for COD on PC is 6GB :P Comparing the performance of the last gen and next gen consoles is a tad silly right now, since the difference in their optimization makes their power difference a lot smaller. Hence games tend to improve so much during a gen.

If the PS3 can run GT6 at 1440x1080/55-60fps, then it could easily run MK8 at 1280x720/30fps. I agree the PS3 and 360 couldn't achieve the full 60fps the WiiU is pulling off, but the game itself is nothing special.

As i said to someone else, MK8 is essentially a 7th gen game running at 8th gen performance lvels. It's still a beautiful looking game, but that's thanks to Nintendo's artistic skill, not any kind of technical achievement.

The WiiU will have much better demonstrations of it's power in the future, but MK8 is not one of them.

Around the Network

Any implication that the games underperformed on Wii U vs PS3 and 360 because it's weaker is an insane one I can't believe is still being made in 2014. The game looks stunning though.

Love the Moo Moo Meadows Wii to Wii U comparison

I love the art style
Technically its not that good
racers are very easy

Ryudo said:

For anyone who thinks this can run on PS3/360. MK8 to even run on PC would have to be developed with a 64bit OS in mind and PC games a good lot of them still develop under 32 bit.

Oh and guess what Mario kart has had 3 arcade games and the 2013 version is not running on triforce but a baord stronger than PS3/360 and this is the result

So even that 360 and PS3 would need a downgrade.

MK8 is both technically impressive and artistically. The game is the best looking console game to date. period.

Thank God for the objective and reasonable Digital Foundry. As opposed to the numerous "tech experts" we find online .

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network

Why people want to act like the PS3 and XBox 360 don't have native 720p60 exclusive racers is f@#king beyond me.
This game uses ART well.
Perhaps you experts can tell me frame by bloody frame what makes it technically advanced. I really, reeeally want to see what you come up with.
Even IGN has the sense to split best graphics awards into aesthetics and technology. And their supposed to be "ignorant".

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Seriously cannot wait till they announce the new Rainbow Road for this game, it'll have to be very special to top this N64 remake track. In fact this game has really changed the N64 tracks for the better, even the shitty Toad's Turnpike looks fun. Royal Raceway looks stunning with the water effects and the blossom and that jump... my word they executed that perfectly! Was a bit dull in the N64 version.

Nintendo fan(boy)s praising a game for its graphics... oh the irony!

OT: The game looks great and looks to be a lot of fun, which in the end is what matters on a Mario Kart game. It may be the first MK game I get in a looong time.

User was moderated for this post - Conegamer

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Looks great. I don't care about comparisons to other consoles or whether or not you can see the individual hairs on Mario's mustache; the fact that such an artistically pretty game runs this fast and smooth is a testament to its technical prowess. In my opinion.

Zekkyou said:

As i said to someone else, MK8 is essentially a 7th gen game running at 8th gen performance lvels.

It's still a beautiful looking game, but that's thanks to Nintendo's artistic skill, not any kind of technical achievement.

Artistic skill is still limited by technical capabilities.

Simply stated, you cannot get the artistic skill you see unless and underlying technical is there to allow it.

The rEVOLution is not being televised