By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mario Kart 8 grafix

bonzobanana said:
What is it exactly people are seeing that makes them think these graphics indicate powerful hardware?

Its just a kart racing game. This isn't some huge sandbox open world with complex AI, a physics engine with huge draw distances or other state of the art graphic effects. Despite the 32MB of high speed embedded memory and later architecture GPU it isn't rendered in 1080p. It's a nice looking game though.

Surely people realise if the original wii can do mariokart with a 12 gflops gpu, 2meg frame buffer, 1 meg texture cache, 24meg main memory and 64meg of ddr external memory plus a weak 1600 mips cpu then a console with a 176 gflops gpu, 32MB of video memory, 1GB of game memory, 8,400 mips cpu and a gpu based on later architecture with some small compute functionality is going to perform to a higher level. This is a game build from the ground up to utilise all the wii u offers. It's only cartoon graphics here and there will be low cpu demands.

I can't believe people just forget the huge number of wii u games that have underperformed on wii u compared to 360 and PS3 and then they see one artistically beautiful game and jump on it as if now the wii u is competitive with ps4 and xbox one. Utter fanboy madness.

have you even seen the trailers? or the Gifs? or anything?, the Draw Distance is Huge, in any moment there is a "pop out" thing, Rainbow Road with the city on the background with lights turning on and off, and cars moving.

and the "underperformed ports" are LAZY Ports, you want proofs? Need For Speed: Most Wanted

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
I can finally say "wow, this looks beautiful!" and "wow, this music is amazing!" about a Mario Kart game!

Yeah, that Moo Moo track sounds like it had the music redone, too. Sounds almost orchetrated. That's a nice touch, considering they could've easily kept the original Wii track's crappy midi audio.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

pezus said:
Gustaf89 said:
im really sick of people saying "artistically is great, thecnically not so much"... PEOPLE. you need the TECH to pull out your Art Vision, The Wii U is capable for what Nintendo developers want to do, and that should be it. and if Nintendo can make games look so good on a "weak" hardware, the 3rd party should as well, I mean, Game budgets above the 100 millions and they can port a game correctly? give me a break

Examples?

Assassin's 3 and 4
Batman Arkham Origins
Call of Duty Black Ops 2 and Ghost
and probably Watch_Dogs too

Third party developers are not conspiring to make the wii u look weak. Sonic transformed as a karting game looks amazing. It doesn't offer 60fps gaming like mariokart unless you play on pc but it looks stunning. Most of the issues with wii u are about low cpu resources which means when you convert ps3 and 360 games to wii u you struggle with frame rates and sometimes have to remove graphic features to increase the frame rate.

Anyway I think a lot of this will disappear when the game is released. There is a lot of hype about it at the moment and people are making unreasonable claims. When we actually get our hands on the game we will see the reality of it both good and bad. It's not a technically ambitious game but it has beautiful graphics.

Artistically - fantastic, marvelous, exhilarating
Technically - nothing really THAT special to write the home about...just deal with it. ;)

I guess I can just fantasize what would they be able to do with juice that PS4 is packing...

Around the Network
Cheebee said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
I can finally say "wow, this looks beautiful!" and "wow, this music is amazing!" about a Mario Kart game!

Yeah, that Moo Moo track sounds like it had the music redone, too. Sounds almost orchetrated. That's a nice touch, considering they could've easily kept the original Wii track's crappy midi audio.

I heard they were using real instruments this time, so that must be the explanation! Mario Kart Stadium sounds fan-freakin-tastic aswell! I rewatched the trailer over and over again just to listen to it moar! ^_^

It may be the nicest looking racing game to date, imo. Definitely by far the purdiest kart racer, anyway. I really like the new Moo Moo Meadows theme rendition too.

Looks fantastic and I love kart games. I loved the Mario Kart DS version too (whatever the actual name was). Wİi U is too expensive for 2-3 games though. Hopefully it will drop to Wİi like prices pretty quickly.

Einsam_Delphin said:

I heard they were using real instruments this time, so that must be the explanation! Mario Kart Stadium sounds fan-freakin-tastic aswell! I rewatched the trailer over and over again just to listen to it moar! ^_^

That's awesome. Didn't know that, but it sure sounds like it, yes! Also, the best piece of music was the retro Rainbow Road, easily. :p So much nostalgia. T_T That track looks positively insane, too. I can't even begin to imagine what the new Rainbow Road will be like, especially since they said it's going to be truly special, really something else.

Just 54 more days.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

bonzobanana said:
Third party developers are not conspiring to make the wii u look weak. Sonic transformed as a karting game looks amazing. It doesn't offer 60fps gaming like mariokart unless you play on pc but it looks stunning. Most of the issues with wii u are about low cpu resources which means when you convert ps3 and 360 games to wii u you struggle with frame rates and sometimes have to remove graphic features to increase the frame rate.

Anyway I think a lot of this will disappear when the game is released. There is a lot of hype about it at the moment and people are making unreasonable claims. When we actually get our hands on the game we will see the reality of it both good and bad. It's not a technically ambitious game but it has beautiful graphics.

The fact you bring up Sonic Transformed suggests you really have not seen anything Mario Kart at all. 

Mario Kart damn near makes Sonic Transformed look last gen.

The rEVOLution is not being televised