By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

My point about mario kart 8 textures which is true of many cartoon graphics games especially wii games like mario galaxy and mario kart is they are hugely repeated in each frame and distant objects simply lose texturing and become a single colour. This is so much easier to render than realistic graphics.

The dreamcast only had a gpu capable of 1.4 gflops but did have tile based rendering. It could do cartoon graphics like this for racing games;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GanNn3fmiVA

For realistic graphics it was terrible and completely uncompetitive.

Sonic transformed does have some ambitious graphics, with more complicated texturing than mario kart 8. It also has more detailed car models. Don't use the wii u for comparison though as that only runs at a low 1024x576 resolution, use the ps3's 1280x720 resolution. I've got both wii u and ps3 versions and both suffer from frame drops. I believe the 360 frame rate is more stable of the three. The game looks utterly fantastic on my projector, a feast for the eyes at 720p on ps3 or 1080p 60fps on pc (my projector is only 720p).

Even on these youtube videos I can see there are parts of mario kart 8 graphics that look more primitive although the overall effect of the graphics is excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndxNhlWXXoY

Anyway at the moment we are trying to make comparisons when we haven't really seen mario kart properly just videos. Too much hype at the moment.

Around the Network
Kane1389 said:
hated_individual said:
@Kane

TLOU shots you use are either bullshots or taken from ingame CG/Cinematics that runs on a aeperate engine like in Yakuza and Devil May Cry games and not in actual ingame enviroment and likely those GOW shots are also from cg/cinematics... I played both of these games at my friends birthday... TLOU and GOW might look “realistic“ but Mario Kart 8 characters have better quality textures(higher resolution/more detailed and little to no compression artifacts) also I am sure that characters in Mario Kart 8 exceed in polygon count by a good margin when you see how well rounded are those models. A nearly perfectly round ball contains 968 polygons(22*22=484*2=968) and I counted that in my head and Mario in Mario Kart 8 has most likely 25000-30000 polygons without the kart. With kart it would add another 10000-15000 or more depending on model being used... Do not forget that mustaches and hair of Mario are animated too so it is more demanding than most characters on HD twins.

LMAO, what a load of shit. TLoU and GOW3 dont have CGI, all ''cinematics'' are done in in-game engine. I'd post a gif of Ellie's cutscene and in-game face to show the comparsson but I cant find it.

And how the fuck is Mario's character more detailed??? Its a cartooney generic 3D model only with sub-HD textures (welcome to 2006), its basically a Wii model mario only with higher resoultion: There is no impressive 3D detail to be found in any cartonney game.

As for that polygon count, if you cant support that with some actuall evidence and data, its completly useless. ''I counted in my head'' is a laughable source in these forums, regardless where they come from.  We dont even have the resolution for the game figured out (cuz, you know, this is Nintendo) but you already figured out the specific polygon count for characters with and without karts?

I love how people keep bring up sonic racing which is also on the wiiu and has the lowest resolution on the wiiu, so does that mean the wiiu can't do better then sonic racing, we have games on ps3 and 360 that look much better then mario kart8 and sonic racing.

Kyuu said:
The game's looking really amazing. These comparisons are pointless.

I agree with you the game  really does look amazing, it's up there with the best graphics from 7th gen, but when you see full resolution pics, the flaws really stick out.

So many haters in this thread.

They are scared of Mario Kart 8, and so they should be.

Wii U Nintendo Network ID, Borode

XBOX Live ID, Borode

bonzobanana said:

Sonic transformed does have some ambitious graphics, with more complicated texturing than mario kart 8. It also has more detailed car models. Don't use the wii u for comparison though as that only runs at a low 1024x576 resolution, use the ps3's 1280x720 resolution. I've got both wii u and ps3 versions and both suffer from frame drops. I believe the 360 frame rate is more stable of the three. The game looks utterly fantastic on my projector, a feast for the eyes at 720p on ps3 or 1080p 60fps on pc (my projector is only 720p).

Even on these youtube videos I can see there are parts of mario kart 8 graphics that look more primitive although the overall effect of the graphics is excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndxNhlWXXoY

Anyway at the moment we are trying to make comparisons when we haven't really seen mario kart properly just videos. Too much hype at the moment.

Sonic Transformed textures:

Mario Kart 8 blows it out of the water.

And according to Digital Foundry's analysis, PS3 runs at the worst framerate of the console versions, and both it and the 360 versions have rampant screen tearing, while MK8, being a first party Nntendo title, is pretty much guaranteed to be 60fps with v-sync.

Around the Network
Kyuu said:
curl-6 said:

If we use this method we could make the original Xbox look better than a high-end PC.

There are LOTS of bad textures in Sonic Transformed, this shot's not an isolated incident.

ASStronaut said:
So many haters in this thread.

They are scared of Mario Kart 8, and so they should be.

The power of Mario Kart 8 compels them.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

curl-6 said:
Kyuu said:
curl-6 said:

If we use this method we could make the original Xbox look better than a high-end PC.

There are LOTS of bad textures in Sonic Transformed, this shot's not an isolated incident.

mario kart 8 looks much better then sonic transformed as it should.  sonic transformed should not be compared to mario kart, its on 4 different platforms including wiiu, the game is very low budget compared to mario kart, which is nintendo's biggest franchise. sonic racing hasn't even sold a million copies on all 3 platforms, its like comparing  Yakuza 5 to uncharted 3, it's no contest ,  the only games racing that push ps3 and 360 are there exclusive sim racers, and they have a ton more work compared to mario kart, they  have to model over 200 realisitc cars/car interiors, tracks and try to make the car physics as realistic as possible and even though GT5 can sometimes look bland, when it looks good its looks downright amazing 

I can't believe people are actually comparing realistic looking games with cartoony looking games. Funny that all those people who make those comparisons always think the realistic looking game looks better.

All tracks in GT5 are boring in my opinion. But I really do hate "realistic" racing sims.

Mario Kart 8 is creative, GT5 is the opposite of that. 

You can only compare Mario Kart 8 to cartoony racers like Modnation Racers, Littlebigplanet Racing and Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing Transformed. 

Samus Aran said:

I can't believe people are actually comparing realistic looking games with cartoony looking games. Funny that all those people who make those comparisons always think the realistic looking game looks better.

All tracks in GT5 are boring in my opinion. But I really do hate "realistic" racing sims.

Mario Kart 8 is creative, GT5 is the opposite of that. 

You can only compare Mario Kart 8 to cartoony racers like Modnation Racers, Littlebigplanet Racing and Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing Transformed. 

you can compare realistic games to cartoony games when your talking about hardware/ power, for example wiiu has no realistic games, that touch 360/ps3 exclusives, and wiiu is going on it's second year. sony and microsoft are not gonna invest a huge budget on cartoony games because they don't sell great. thats why realistic games on those consoles look the best. while martio kart 7 sold like 27 million, it should be the best looking kart racer by far, and will probably be the best looking kart racer for a long time, cause who' gonna invest a huge budget on a cartoony kart racer, othere then nintendo.