By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - The Coming Obamacare Shock for 170 Million Americans

Mr Khan said:
outlawauron said:
Game_God said:

So glad I live in Europe, here everyone is taken care of, for stiches I think that 10 bucks would be on the expensive side, 4 years ago I had knee surgery, I paid 80€ & most of that was the food! Same for education, 1 year in college is about 300/400€ depending on the cursus & the college. I really am not a fan of the American way: the land of oportunity as long as you are rich & healthy, the social ladder is missing a few steps over there...

It's taken care of because you're paying for it in another way.  >_>

Everyone pays their share in taxes, which is a much more equitable burden since a 1% can far more easily afford to lose a million dollars than a bottom 10% can afford to lose $50.

I mean... you do realize that Europe has more regressive taxes then the US by like... a lot right.

The Rich pay more in taxes in Europe then the US.... but everyone else pays a WHOLE lot more then the US does.

The only way to actually pay for more "soclialist" programs like universal healthcare is to tax the hell out of the poor to the point of tax regressiveness.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/09/19/other-countries-dont-have-a-47/

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

Businesses won't have to raise prices on everything. Compare McDonald's prices from the US to, say, Australia, where cost-of-living is about the same but minimum wage is higher. Actual prices don't go up that much.

The price rises will be minimal compared to the real money in people's pockets, especially poor people who actually spend their money rather than just shunt it into some hedge fund like the rich. The net effect would be quite beneficial, but for the bitching of businesses who only see the short-term shock to their bottom lien.

Australia is actually a pretty bad choice.  McDonalds in Australia actually are a bit of an outlier on the big mac index because the Big Mac is smaller there.  In otherwords, prices are higher then one would believe.

Additionally, the big mac index is actually at a low in most places.  Due to the Global Financial Crisis, prices in the US rose faster elsewhere because people were more likely to eat big macs here, so Mcdonalds prices have been subsidized here, vs everywhere else.  So mcdonalds prices across the board could very well go up.

Mr Khan said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Its not about luck, its about working hard and developing skills.

That's how you get out of poverty and get opportunities.

When there are more people looking for work than there are jobs, it is about luck. Full stop. In our environment of secular stagnation, the ones who get ahead are simply the ones lucky enough to not be squeezed out by the systemic contraction.

Nope, there are plenty of jobs not being filled.

Anyone who is healthy and can't find a job is doing something wrong. I was recently offered three jobs because I make an effort and try to develop skils employers want.

If you're a healthy person capable of working, there is little excuse to be in poverity. Most poverty is a result of bad choices.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:

Everyone pays their share in taxes, which is a much more equitable burden since a 1% can far more easily afford to lose a million dollars than a bottom 10% can afford to lose $50.

I mean... you do realize that Europe has more regressive taxes then the US by like... a lot right.

The Rich pay more in taxes in Europe then the US.... but everyone else pays a WHOLE lot more then the US does.

The only way to actually pay for more "soclialist" programs like universal healthcare is to tax the hell out of the poor to the point of tax regressiveness.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/09/19/other-countries-dont-have-a-47/

I'm having some major deja vu with this discussion between the two of you. I suppose this is one of the eternally debated topics.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Kasz216 said:
theprof00 said:
SlayerRondo said:
theprof00 said:
I dunno really much about this whole thing, but I feel like the free market will take care of this price increase.
If I were an insurer, I'd just keep the same rates and eat all the other insurer's dropouts.

I really don't understand why they are going up in premiums.

Because the number of things the insurance companies are required to provide coverage for has increased taking away the choice for policy holders.

I don't support people being required to pay for any type of coverage but some of the things they are required to cover are completely absurd.

while aca does it all for cheaper?
To me this looks just like all the insurance companies are making a cash grab.

Bet we'll see record profits this year.

Actually, it's been my expericne that the ACA plans are far more expensive then non exchange plans due to the subsidies offered for ACA plans.

Which is bad news because a lot of people are ONLY using the ACA website as a source for healthcare information, because they thought it was supposed to be a comprhensive exchange that everything was on.

One of the big defense manuevers of the ACA was to scour basically every single insurer with someone who complained in a news story, to find them a cheaper rate.  (Even then, they weren't that cheap in a lot of cases.)

Something most people don't really have the time for.

ok sure, but then the question becomes, "why was this made in the first place",

Who can it possibly be benefitting if this is all true?

WHy would anyone propose this if everyone is a loser?

Around the Network

He won the popular vote in TO elections where this issue was prominent. I would say the american public stands behind this law :).

theprof00 said:
Kasz216 said:
theprof00 said:
SlayerRondo said:

Actually, it's been my expericne that the ACA plans are far more expensive then non exchange plans due to the subsidies offered for ACA plans.

Which is bad news because a lot of people are ONLY using the ACA website as a source for healthcare information, because they thought it was supposed to be a comprhensive exchange that everything was on.

One of the big defense manuevers of the ACA was to scour basically every single insurer with someone who complained in a news story, to find them a cheaper rate.  (Even then, they weren't that cheap in a lot of cases.)

Everyone isn't a loser there are two groups of winners as far as insurees go.

Those who have had prexisting conditions who make too much money to be on medicaid.  They will be able to get healthcare without having to wait until they're poor enough for medicaid.

and those covered by the Medicaid expansion which increased what you ould make and got rid of asset and wealth testing.

I actually qualified under that.   before the law while I qualify for medicare based on what i make, i have too many assets in the form of stocks and bonds to qualify for medicare.  Granted while i was happier paying for my own medical care...

Someone 10 or 15 years older might not be able to afford it and instead burn through their saved assets before they could get medicaid.   Essetially penealizing the poor who are smart with their money.

Other big winners in Obamacae

1) The Insurance Companies.  Honestly, i quite expect they'll hit record profits off the backs of the Healthcare.gov webiste plans.  More specifically, the huge insurance companies who can set themselves up on the insurance exchanges.

Some are suggesting otherwise and plan to raise rates by huge amounts...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-25/obamacare-insurer-wellpoint-sees-double-digit-rate-rise.html

Which if that's true... I got no clue.

2)  Doctors.   They were totally against the ACA deeming it more harm then good when it came to patients health... until they were given higher medicaid payments as incentive to support the bill.

As for why you'd propose a loser of a program.  Well that's simple, once it becomes obvious Obamacare needs to be fixed... it won't be fixed by just removing it and going back to the status quo.  It's too painful to remove benefits  from people, espiecally people who were getting a raw deal, even if they were an extreme minority.

Republicans can talk about repealing Obamacare all they want, but the truth is, the only way it will get fixed now is by making it more centralized and government run, and getting rid of all the crony capitlism stuff that got it passed.  

Justagamer said:
the2real4mafol said:
Mr Puggsly said:
the2real4mafol said:
Should of just funded the healthcare with taxes like the UK. You lot are only paying for a bloated army right now, a couple wars and some fascist mass spying organisations. Good priority of American government with so many in poverty!

American Poverty = Living in better conditions than most of the world with an opportunity to get out of poverty

Tell that to the poor in places like Detroit, Chicago or LA or any big city. If you're born poor you are likely to stay poor unless very lucky. Being poor is a bit of a disadvantage to doing well in the current system. And if American federal government ensured just two things, they would make things alot better for people. $15 minimum wage and a tax funded health service. Hell the money saved from eliminating the free market from core parts of healthcare would save alot of money for all.

Why else does the US spend 17% of GDP on health while European countries with a NHS style system or a mixed public/ private healthcare system spend around 8 to 10% of GDP. It certaintly adds up and its nice to known I can get treatment if I needed it without worrying about the cost.  

I find it funny when people think raising the minimum wage is the answer... What do you think happens when minimum wage goes up? The price of everything goes up too... So they'll make a little more, and spend a little more, but wind up in the same place: broke. I have a friend who manages a local Walgreens store... As soon as it was known that minimum wage was going up, prices went up on many products... One week later, he showed me a list of items, hundreds of them, that were already raised, or will soon be going up... Just by the news of minimum wage going up.... Getting a better job, not raising minimum wage, is the answer to making more money....

And how do we get these magical better jobs if there's no money in the economy because wealth is being hoarded at the top?

Redistribution is needed to kickstart real consumer demand and real growth, and one of the best ways to do that in a permanent way is to hike the minimum wage. Prices may go up, but not as much to justify the minimum wage change, especially they can't go up that quickly because it doesn't change demand for their products in the short run. Hence sticky prices, as a highly reactive price change is only going to hurt your bottom line as fewer people then buy your products.

Plus it's just a social thing. All taxpayers are subsidizing these low minimum-wage earners through social services (because they're TOO POOR), so you are paying for them one way or another. Better for the economy that they earn that money themselves, spend it themselves, and better contribute to wealth movement that way (especially if it means the dimunition of corporate profits, which just get hoarded nowadays)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Puggsly said:
Mr Khan said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Its not about luck, its about working hard and developing skills.

That's how you get out of poverty and get opportunities.

When there are more people looking for work than there are jobs, it is about luck. Full stop. In our environment of secular stagnation, the ones who get ahead are simply the ones lucky enough to not be squeezed out by the systemic contraction.

Nope, there are plenty of jobs not being filled.

Anyone who is healthy and can't find a job is doing something wrong. I was recently offered three jobs because I make an effort and try to develop skils employers want.

If you're a healthy person capable of working, there is little excuse to be in poverity. Most poverty is a result of bad choices.

It's a macro game. There are about 4 million open jobs in this country right now http://www.epi.org/publication/jobs-60-percent-job-seekers/, and about 10.2 million job-seekers (and that's just *job seekers*, not those who have given up on job-seeking due to the poor economy, the ones uncounted in the unemployment rate). This means that if we eliminated things like geographical problems (many of those seekers might not live where the jobs are), there would still be about 6.2 million people who are shit out of luck because there are simply not enough jobs for everyone.

Or have you polled 10.2 million job seekers to cover your little anecdote there?

Kasz216 said:
theprof00 said:
Kasz216 said:
theprof00 said:
SlayerRondo said:

Everyone isn't a loser there are two groups of winners as far as insurees go.

Those who have had prexisting conditions who make too much money to be on medicaid.  They will be able to get healthcare without having to wait until they're poor enough for medicaid.

and those covered by the Medicaid expansion which increased what you ould make and got rid of asset and wealth testing.

I actually qualified under that.   before the law while I qualify for medicare based on what i make, i have too many assets in the form of stocks and bonds to qualify for medicare.  Granted while i was happier paying for my own medical care...

Someone 10 or 15 years older might not be able to afford it and instead burn through their saved assets before they could get medicaid.   Essetially penealizing the poor who are smart with their money.

Other big winners in Obamacae

1) The Insurance Companies.  Honestly, i quite expect they'll hit record profits off the backs of the Healthcare.gov webiste plans.  More specifically, the huge insurance companies who can set themselves up on the insurance exchanges.

Some are suggesting otherwise and plan to raise rates by huge amounts...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-25/obamacare-insurer-wellpoint-sees-double-digit-rate-rise.html

Which if that's true... I got no clue.

2)  Doctors.   They were totally against the ACA deeming it more harm then good when it came to patients health... until they were given higher medicaid payments as incentive to support the bill.

As for why you'd propose a loser of a program.  Well that's simple, once it becomes obvious Obamacare needs to be fixed... it won't be fixed by just removing it and going back to the status quo.  It's too painful to remove benefits  from people, espiecally people who were getting a raw deal, even if they were an extreme minority.

Republicans can talk about repealing Obamacare all they want, but the truth is, the only way it will get fixed now is by making it more centralized and government run, and getting rid of all the crony capitlism stuff that got it passed.  

Check and mate