By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 appears to have only 4.5GB available for games use

drkohler said:
walsufnir said:
DonFerrari said:
If 32Mb of ESRAM make X1 bandwidth faster than ps4 with this extra 500Mb advantage you will see how X1 is more powerfull than ps4, I can't wait for the truth to come out.

What is this crap good for?

It's actually a pretty good mrxmedia parody...

It's not a parody, it's making stuff up from a handful of users on this forum which is totally not needed in every thread imaginable. Thread was nice until some suspects showed up again.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
gergroy said:
It was revealed that the ps4 had 3.5 gigs of ram reserved for the os when the console was revealed. Just like the x1 has 3 gigs reserved. This is not new information to those that have been paying attention. As sony and microsoft tweak their os's over the course of the generation, i fully expect that number to go down.

No, back in february there were a lot of rumors it has 7gb ram free. The actual facts came later.

Ok,  if you want to be technical sure, but it was known around e3 and well before console launched.  That is my point.

Even if it is 5GB total, it´s still wierd the PS4 SO to use 3GB for... nothing?

gergroy said:
walsufnir said:
gergroy said:
It was revealed that the ps4 had 3.5 gigs of ram reserved for the os when the console was revealed. Just like the x1 has 3 gigs reserved. This is not new information to those that have been paying attention. As sony and microsoft tweak their os's over the course of the generation, i fully expect that number to go down.

No, back in february there were a lot of rumors it has 7gb ram free. The actual facts came later.

Ok,  if you want to be technical sure, but it was known around e3 and well before console launched.  That is my point.

No, people belive that 6 to 7GB were reserved for games right until before the November launch.

Look for a thread here by @ethomaz, he was the one championing 6-7GB for months. 

jlmurph2 said:
drkohler said:

Remember that ms promised that "every XBox One is also a developer station" (everyone was excited, nobody has heard of that feature since..).

All ID@Xbox devs are using retail Xbox Ones as dev kits. Microsoft has to accept them 1st and give them instructions or something.

Silly me. I thought (right from the ID website):

No Cost Development Tools

ID@Xbox developers get access to two developer kits at no cost, as well as access to all required technical documentation, private forums, free middleware, and more.

and

Phil Harrison's statements from earlier in the week on getting more developers on board with the program "We've had huge interest in the programme and we're working really hard to get kits out there as fast as we can.."

means that development is currently on development kits. But if you say he webpage and Phil Harrison are wrong and it's actually normal XBox Ones, then so be it. Minor point, anyway.

Around the Network
Dark_Feanor said:
Even if it is 5GB total, it´s still wierd the PS4 SO to use 3GB for... nothing?

Of course not nothing but of no use currently. This makes me doubt of the promise "gaming only" because when playing safe 2gb would've been sufficient already. We don't know yet what Sony has in their pockets in the long run now, obviously.

Dark_Feanor said:
gergroy said:
walsufnir said:
gergroy said:

No, people belive that 6 to 7GB were reserved for games right until before the November launch.

Look for a thread here by @ethomaz, he was the one championing 6-7GB for months.

Well, it's of no use to argue about that anymore.

To sum it up a lot of people didn't want it to be true in the first place but in the end free ram size was confirmed by Sony.

"Only 4.5 GB" while still having the best graphical showing. Impressive, just imagine if they free up more.

Thanks jlmurph!

drkohler said:
jlmurph2 said:
drkohler said:

Remember that ms promised that "every XBox One is also a developer station" (everyone was excited, nobody has heard of that feature since..).

All ID@Xbox devs are using retail Xbox Ones as dev kits. Microsoft has to accept them 1st and give them instructions or something.

Silly me. I thought (right from the ID website):

No Cost Development Tools

ID@Xbox developers get access to two developer kits at no cost, as well as access to all required technical documentation, private forums, free middleware, and more.

and

Phil Harrison's statements from earlier in the week on getting more developers on board with the program "We've had huge interest in the programme and we're working really hard to get kits out there as fast as we can.."

means that development is currently on development kits. But if you say he webpage and Phil Harrison are wrong and it's actually normal XBox Ones, then so be it. Minor point, anyway.

When people found out about turning it into the dev kit and ended up putting their Xbox One's into a boot loop this statement was given.

"Changing the settings in this menu is only intended for developers for Xbox One, and this alone does not turn the console into a development kit. We strongly advise consumers against changing these settings as it could result in their Xbox One becoming unusable."

Which means that there's more that MS does to turn it into a dev kit for the developers.

If I was Sony I'd reserve 3gb and aim to fit my code in 1gb. This leaves room for growth and means you can then increase the available ram to 6gb further down the line.

The PS5 Exists.