By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 appears to have only 4.5GB available for games use

DonFerrari said:

If 32Mb of ESRAM make X1 bandwidth faster than ps4 with this extra 500Mb advantage you will see how X1 is more powerfull than ps4, I can't wait for the truth to come out.

About OS footprint, if they made it 1Gb and reserved another 2,5 for any number of aditional features it will be easy to free up space. Now if they have made a blooted 3Gb OS with just 500Mb reservation it will be a figth between new featurrs and shrink footprint. I just can't understand the rise in OS from like 50Mb to 1Gb+ in one gen.
But we do have a dev or expert that showed that for 1080p60fps you wouldn't have use for more than 6Gb on ps4 bandwidth, so we will get there when needed? And going from 4Gb planned (3,5Gb for games and 500Gb for OS) to 8Gb delivered (4,5-5GB for games 3,5-3Gb for OS) we may think alot of it is unused and perhaps not all is reserved, but since devkits and sdk worked with 3,5Gb cap for games the first gen of games couldn't be made with more than 4,5-5Gb at the time but we may start to see higher usage soon with newer sdk and devkits for devs  with enough window for release.

Here are some cold hard facts.
Ram does not do ANY form of processing, it is there to cache important pieces of data that has been/will be processed because it faster than retreiving it from a mechanical/optical disc.
What makes your games ultimatly look pretty is the Central Processing Unit (Usually responsible for framebuffer effects in the graphics pipeline as well as things like Draw Cells and Physics.)
And the Graphics Processor which puts all the pretty pictures on your screen.

The fact of the matter is, the Xbox One could have quaddruple the amount of Ram and games will not look better than the Playstation 4, because the hardware responsible for rendering the imagry is significantly inferior.

Remember, RAM is not a deciding factor in a systems entire performance, there is so much more that fits into that puzzle.

As for the OS exploding in Ram counts, it's simple, last generation consoles would clear the Ram and "seperate" parts of the OS and treat them as applications, lets use the Xbox 360 as an example, you sit at the dash board then you navigate to the video section, the Xbox 360 then launches a "Video App".
It's not running it all in tandem, there are delays.
The next gen consoles are also doing far more in the background like recording of video (Needs to use Ram to buffer data before writing it to the hard drive) amongst other things.
Plus they are only young systems, Microsoft and Sony gave themselves some room for the OS footprint, remember you can give Ram back to the system but you cannot taketh away when it comes to the OS's chunk of the pie.

So while it's all well and goods to only use Ram numbers in your comparisons and claim the Xbox One is faster, well... It just simply isn't reality.

Turkish said:
Isnt 1GB DDR5 ram of PS4 worth 3GB DDR3 ram?

You made my day.

Porcupeth said:
We already knew this.
PS4 still wins because of faster memory
Don't forget some TR cutscenes were lower resolution cause XB1 couldn't run them at 1080p, that's laughable. A CUTSCENE...! Not a damn 24p MP like KZ, but freaking cutscenes.

Also AFAIK it ends up being "kinda" 5gb anyway because an extra 512mb are shared and also still used for games depending on the developer's needs.

Again, the faster memory isn't the deciding factor, it's a factor yes, but ultimatly, it's the graphics/central processor that will make the Playstation 4 truly shine, I'm surprised by how people are so fixated on that one tiny factor of a system but fail to take into account the rest of it? You know... The hardware that is responsible for actually drawing and displaying and processing of the data to give you all the pretty pictures?

As for 720P vs 1080P for most it's not an issue.
A vast majority of televisions sold are the cheapest-of-the-cheap, which generally are only 720P (Or more accuratly 1366x768)
Then you need to take into account that 720P compared to 1080P depending on how far you sit away from the panel... Actually have zero difference, the eye can only discern a set amount of pixels depending on pixel size and distance you are viewing them from.
Consoles typically are found in loungeroom environments too, which are often viewed from a distance.

On a PC it's a different story, 1080P looks like molassas on a 27" screen because of the viewing distance and pixel density, 1440P/1600P/4k makes a stupidly massive difference.

Lets not forget either than the Playstation 4 does NOT always display games at full 1080P and it's not guarenteed to do so, by generations end I fully expect most games to be sub-1080P. - That's something you console gamers will just have to put up with, your fixed hardware platform doesn't allow you any kind of flexibility in that regard.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

So the OP says PS4 games use 4.5 GB and Xbox One game use 5GB +the very fast esram...
And Xbox one games are still playing catch up!!
OP what exactly was your point???

riecsou said:
So the OP says PS4 games use 4.5 GB and Xbox One game use 5GB +the very fast esram...
And Xbox one games are still playing catch up!!
OP what exactly was your point???

Huh? He posted an article many don't seem to understand here. This again confirmed the amount of ram available to games on PS4 and this didn't change since their confirmation. And he added the info that Xbone has 5gb ram free for games. Nothing more, nothing less. If you are reading anything into this, it is your mind making this up, not his.

Pemalite said:
DonFerrari said:

If 32Mb of ESRAM make X1 bandwidth faster than ps4 with this extra 500Mb advantage you will see how X1 is more powerfull than ps4, I can't wait for the truth to come out.

About OS footprint, if they made it 1Gb and reserved another 2,5 for any number of aditional features it will be easy to free up space. Now if they have made a blooted 3Gb OS with just 500Mb reservation it will be a figth between new featurrs and shrink footprint. I just can't understand the rise in OS from like 50Mb to 1Gb+ in one gen.
But we do have a dev or expert that showed that for 1080p60fps you wouldn't have use for more than 6Gb on ps4 bandwidth, so we will get there when needed? And going from 4Gb planned (3,5Gb for games and 500Gb for OS) to 8Gb delivered (4,5-5GB for games 3,5-3Gb for OS) we may think alot of it is unused and perhaps not all is reserved, but since devkits and sdk worked with 3,5Gb cap for games the first gen of games couldn't be made with more than 4,5-5Gb at the time but we may start to see higher usage soon with newer sdk and devkits for devs  with enough window for release.

Ram does not do ANY form of processing, it is there to cache important pieces of data that has been/will be processed because it faster than retreiving it from a mechanical/optical disc.
What makes your games ultimatly look pretty is the Central Processing Unit (Usually responsible for framebuffer effects in the graphics pipeline as well as things like Draw Cells and Physics.)

I don't know how many times I told people last year what ram is good for and how it fits in line with registers, caches and other memory used for application data.

Here we go again... Can't we just bump some old threads about this?
Anyhow, just for once to be a part of this...

Xboxone more powerful confirmed!

Around the Network
Dark_Feanor said:
Even if it is 5GB total, it´s still wierd the PS4 SO to use 3GB for... nothing?

The OS runs on air...

walsufnir said:
Pemalite said:
DonFerrari said:

I don't know how many times I told people last year what ram is good for and how it fits in line with registers, caches and other memory used for application data.

Not sure if you're attempting to dispute what I said, which then assumes that the GPU and CPU is of no importance and Ram is the be-all-end-all piece of computer tech that does all the things... And then the consoles could have made done with a Qualcom ARM CPU and an Adreno GPU... And been faster than the current consoles if they included 64Gb of Ram...
Or agreeing with me.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Hynad said:

It's really not difficult to understand why Sony allocated this much RAM for the OS. They made the mistake to not allocate enough for the PS3 and had to work their ass off to trim the RAM as much as possible over the course of the gen so that games would have more while making sure the OS could still run adequately.

They most likely allocated more than needed this time around, and they'll trim it down once they've figured what's best. Basically, they work in reverse from last gen. Which is a much better approach. Over time, developers will most likely get access to more of that RAM.

SSSSSHHHHH!!!

Too much common sense in this post. Don't let it ruin the thread!

Again. This was known long before the release for the PS4.

PS4 has free 4.5GB of RAM for games with a flexible volume of 1GB which can be freed up through later patches. It's only natural that the first developed titles could only use 4.5GB.

Not that the "missing" RAM would impact the quality of early titles at all.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Pemalite said:
walsufnir said:
Pemalite said:
DonFerrari said:

Not sure if you're attempting to dispute what I said, which then assumes that the GPU and CPU is of no importance and Ram is the be-all-end-all piece of computer tech that does all the things... And then the consoles could have made done with a Qualcom ARM CPU and an Adreno GPU... And been faster than the current consoles if they included 64Gb of Ram...
Or agreeing with me.

Agree :)