By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 appears to have only 4.5GB available for games use

well this thread is a nice change from all the Wii U doom threads.

Around the Network
Conegamer said:

*Polishes BanHammer*

Let's try and keep things nice and civil in here.

In general though, this is one isolated incident of one game. It's not saying that the PS4 "only" has 4.5GB to use. It's just inFamous does. And as we're in a new generation with such a power increase, what do you expect? 4.5GB is still 9 times more than before anyway...

You guys have been warned before. There's already been action taken, so this is your last chance. 

Keep on topic, and don't insult other users, otherwise action will be taken towards you as well.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Pemalite said:

Here are some cold hard facts.
Ram does not do ANY form of processing, it is there to cache important pieces of data that has been/will be processed because it faster than retreiving it from a mechanical/optical disc.
What makes your games ultimatly look pretty is the Central Processing Unit (Usually responsible for framebuffer effects in the graphics pipeline as well as things like Draw Cells and Physics.)
And the Graphics Processor which puts all the pretty pictures on your screen.

The fact of the matter is, the Xbox One could have quaddruple the amount of Ram and games will not look better than the Playstation 4, because the hardware responsible for rendering the imagry is significantly inferior.

Remember, RAM is not a deciding factor in a systems entire performance, there is so much more that fits into that puzzle.

As for the OS exploding in Ram counts, it's simple, last generation consoles would clear the Ram and "seperate" parts of the OS and treat them as applications, lets use the Xbox 360 as an example, you sit at the dash board then you navigate to the video section, the Xbox 360 then launches a "Video App".
It's not running it all in tandem, there are delays.
The next gen consoles are also doing far more in the background like recording of video (Needs to use Ram to buffer data before writing it to the hard drive) amongst other things.
Plus they are only young systems, Microsoft and Sony gave themselves some room for the OS footprint, remember you can give Ram back to the system but you cannot taketh away when it comes to the OS's chunk of the pie.

So while it's all well and goods to only use Ram numbers in your comparisons and claim the Xbox One is faster, well... It just simply isn't reality.

Turkish said:
Isnt 1GB DDR5 ram of PS4 worth 3GB DDR3 ram?

You made my day.

Porcupeth said:
We already knew this.
PS4 still wins because of faster memory
Don't forget some TR cutscenes were lower resolution cause XB1 couldn't run them at 1080p, that's laughable. A CUTSCENE...! Not a damn 24p MP like KZ, but freaking cutscenes.

Also AFAIK it ends up being "kinda" 5gb anyway because an extra 512mb are shared and also still used for games depending on the developer's needs.

Again, the faster memory isn't the deciding factor, it's a factor yes, but ultimatly, it's the graphics/central processor that will make the Playstation 4 truly shine, I'm surprised by how people are so fixated on that one tiny factor of a system but fail to take into account the rest of it? You know... The hardware that is responsible for actually drawing and displaying and processing of the data to give you all the pretty pictures?

As for 720P vs 1080P for most it's not an issue.
A vast majority of televisions sold are the cheapest-of-the-cheap, which generally are only 720P (Or more accuratly 1366x768)
Then you need to take into account that 720P compared to 1080P depending on how far you sit away from the panel... Actually have zero difference, the eye can only discern a set amount of pixels depending on pixel size and distance you are viewing them from.
Consoles typically are found in loungeroom environments too, which are often viewed from a distance.

On a PC it's a different story, 1080P looks like molassas on a 27" screen because of the viewing distance and pixel density, 1440P/1600P/4k makes a stupidly massive difference.

Lets not forget either than the Playstation 4 does NOT always display games at full 1080P and it's not guarenteed to do so, by generations end I fully expect most games to be sub-1080P. - That's something you console gamers will just have to put up with, your fixed hardware platform doesn't allow you any kind of flexibility in that regard.

I wasn't saying RAM is the deciding factor, I was mocking the assumption of it. But lack of ram and lower bandwidth can be detrimental.

About the OS size thanks for the quick explanation, but my point was about the OS bigger than 1Gb doesn't make sense so a lot of the reservation is just on hold and there is no reason to doubt both stakeholders won't free more.

Do we know if video is recorded on HDD or ram? I believe for video record ram is being used for buffering and encoding right?

Would you agree we are looking on something between 1-2Gb to be freed in the future for both platforms?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

walsufnir said:
riecsou said:
walsufnir said:

Wow I can clearly see you have been playing "defense" all over the thread.

You clearly seem to not remember the story of the OP and his past threads.

Perhaps you need glasses? Could help...

I don't know him and don't remember him but the op itself has a link in it and some sentences about ram sizes. I can't see an opinion in there.

First "defense" now "cheap insult". Keep them coming

Edit:Specially coming from someone who just posted: "That aggressive reaction, though..."

User was moderated for this post - Conegamer

walsufnir said:
DonFerrari said:
walsufnir

lly, yore luring these guys with this crap. Why do you do this? To make fun out of 4-5 people here on this forum?! This is even more disgusting, in my opinion. And show me where any serious forum member said in the last 2-4 weeks Xbone would be stronger...

Like Flaming_weazel repeated at least a thousand times PS4 is stronger.

and they still say x1 will be more powerfull...

Really? And even if (which is of course ridiculous), why do you keep posting for them? Ignore their ignorance against facts, done

not posting for them since I didn't direct quote them, just used their posts as example of what op was trying to imply.

You say this but you keep antagonizing flamingweazel. And of course you again ignored the whole response and focussed on what You think you can use against me, why is that?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
riecsou said:
walsufnir said:
riecsou said:
walsufnir said:

Wow I can clearly see you have been playing "defense" all over the thread.

You clearly seem to not remember the story of the OP and his past threads.

Perhaps you need glasses? Could help...

I don't know him and don't remember him but the op itself has a link in it and some sentences about ram sizes. I can't see an opinion in there.

Let's quit this here. It's of no use.

walsufnir said:
riecsou said:

Let's quit this here. It's of no use.

I think that's something we can all agree on. 

I read the thread title and knew exactly who was posting this. This is what, his 3rd or 4th time making a thread in as many months discussing the same topic?

Right, I've had enough. You've had enough warnings as it is, and it's obvious nothing good can come of this now.

Locking.

I doubt any of the launch window games were planning on using more than this even if it became available to them later on. SONY increased the ram to 8gb really late in the development of the PS4.

I am the Playstation Avenger.