By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the Playstation 3 doomed?

Joelcool7 said:
a.l.e.x59 said:
larry said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

PSP isn't a success, Sony expected it to oust both the Ipod and the DS, it did neither, in fact it didn't even come close

PS3 isn't doomed but its almost certainly not going to be able to dominate the market, in fact it looks very likely to remain in third place

psp has sold around 22 million units worldwide with healthy software ties. How is that not a success??

ps3 not going to dominate the market?????

even the die hard nintendo fanboys know that by the end of the year ps3 would be topping the console sales list all around the world in terms of softwares and hardwares.

FIXED

Nintendo has never beaten a Microsoft console yet. Sony is tied with Microsoft. They won last generation, but Microsoft is currently winning this generation. Nintendo is a tie with Sony. Sony one the first two generations, but is losing the portable generation, and this year's generation.

However, at the end, its all about the first party games in each system that determines which competitor (Sony, Microsoft, Sega, and Nintendo) are more successful.

24 first party PS1 games have sold more than 1 million copies, the exact same with first party Nintendo 64 games.

33 first party PS2 games have sold more than 1 million copies, the exact same with first party Nintendo Gamecube games.

4 first party Wii games have sold more than 1 million copies. 3 Xbox 360 first part games have sold more than 1 million copies. 0 first party PS3 games have sold more than 1 million copies.

(Wii has already dominated Xbox 360 games in terms of sales of first party games)

20 first party DS games have sold more than 1 million copies. 2 first party PSP games have sold more than 1 million copies.

Here is where it gets just embarassing...

6 first party Xbox games have sold more than 1 million copies. 5 million first party Dreamcast games have sold more than 1 million copies. Dreamcast has been out for about 2 years. Microsoft has been out for about 6 years.

What, Nintendo has beaten two Microsoft consoles.

DreamCast was fully endorsed and helped out by Microsoft support. Today DreamCasts creator Peter Moore heads up X-Box doesn't he. DreamCast shifted a little more then 14-million units as far as I know which is way poorer then Nintendo's GameCube!

As for the X-Box I'm not sure what VGChartz has, but I do know that it was announced last year that the GameCube had sold more then 26-million units. Also at E3 Nintendo stated that they were expecting to see over 2-million more GameCube's sell by the end of their 2006 fiscal year (Haven't heard if they reached that mark). Since X-Box was officially discontinued and is no longer carried in any stores I know of and hasn't been since mid last year I would say its pretty safe to assume that Microsoft hasn't shipped to much more then their last known official figures of 24-million!

Look at it this way, GameCube had over a year longer then the X-Box to live and while many quote sales figures from 2004/05 not many talk about the 2006 sales figures or dare to mention the 2007 predictions made at E3. The last generation console war still rages on GameCube's and PS2's still line the shelves at FutureShop , RealCanadian Superstore and Zellers/Walmart while X-Box is nowhere to be seen. 

Will Wii beat 360, likely the way their sales figures are headed. Will Microsoft ever be able to beat Nintendo in Asia? , not likely even with MistWalker and Artoon Microsoft has still failed to turn their bad luck around. Now don't get me wrong I like playing Halo on the X-Box and am debating buying a 360 Elite but that doesn't change the fact that Microsoft is only here for three consoles to kill off their main threat Sony. I highly doubt that Microsoft will see vast success this generation let alone beat Nintendo!

So Gamecube beat Xbox now? Where did you get those facts?

Currently, Xbox 360 is beating the Wii. Yes, the Wii will probably beat the Xbox 360, but for the time being, Xbox 360 is winning.

If Gamecube has beaten the Xbox now, which does make sense, then that means...

Nintendo: 1. Xbox 1

Which means Nintendo has tied Xbox.

I don't know why you are mentioning the Sega Dreamcast. I thought it sold 10 million units, but if it sold 14 million units, that's better, but still the least in last generation's console war.

However, in my post, I mentioned the status of each console this generation for the time being only, not what I think will happen in the future.

So Nintendo has tied Microsoft 1:1 and Sony 2:2. Sega managed to beat every single other console not made by Nintendo, Sony, or Xbox (Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision, 3DO, Amiga CD, Phillips CDi, Turbographx, et cetera), but never managed to beat Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft.

Around the Network
weezy said:
"You do realize there are like 45 million more PS2s than PS3s in the USA?" inflated number. do you also realize how many units each person had to buy?? i know many, MANY ppl who had to buy atleast 2 somtimes 3! ..sony makes cheesey products i also had to buy 2, cause the dvd tray wouldnt pop out anymore..

Inflated or not, the point was being made into response as to why one would choose to develop for the PS2 over the PS3. Please read the context of the argument before changing the subject completely. 

"Mark my words, with motorstorm, LBP and Home announcement PS3 is going to sell over 300k units is march" "576p *IS* 480p just so you know" "My $200 keyboard"

Did someone seriously say those things?

I refuse to believe someone actually said those things. The first quote about 300k units suggests "true believer", but the "576p *IS* 480p" quote suggests that he's willing to disseminate disinformation. I refuse to believe anyone outside of Verizon's customer service would try to convince people that two different numbers are actually the same.

Actually, Nintendo beat two MS consoles: the MSX and MSX-2.

I think most would agree that the Xbox was a little more successful than the gamecube in terms of market share, although certainly not in terms of profitability. The gamecube didn't do very well in the US compared to the Xbox.
The Wii is on a much faster track than the Xbox 360 in every single region. It is also getting significantly increased developer attention lately. I think it would be silly to suggest the Wii won't take a larger market share than the 360 world wide. The US market is still up in the air: it's simply too early to tell with numbers as close as they are. If the Wii cleanly meets demand this year, we'll have a much better idea.

The PS3's greatest weakness right now is that Sony can't afford to hit the $399 price point they need to hit to vastly increase sales. They've already seen that the PS3 won't sell at $499.

The gamecube didn't do very well in the US compared to the Xbox.

http://vgchartz.com/worldcons.php

44.86 million PS2s

16.34 million Xboxes

12.44 million Game Cubes

It's hardly fair to say "The gamecube didn't do very well in the US compared to the Xbox".  4 million is not a huge difference compared to 28.5 million difference between the Xbox and the PS2.

Inflated or not, the point was being made into response as to why one would choose to develop for the PS2 over the PS3. Please read the context of the argument before changing the subject completely. 

-fishyjoe

i guess i cant give alittle insight on the inflated number of ps2's out there. ???

i know it was off subject but i can correct/give insight

settle down fishy i can say whatever i want..to a certain extent

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Around the Network
TheBigFatJ said:

"Mark my words, with motorstorm, LBP and Home announcement PS3 is going to sell over 300k units is march" "576p *IS* 480p just so you know" "My $200 keyboard"

Did someone seriously say those things?

I refuse to believe someone actually said those things. The first quote about 300k units suggests "true believer", but the "576p *IS* 480p" quote suggests that he's willing to disseminate disinformation. I refuse to believe anyone outside of Verizon's customer service would try to convince people that two different numbers are actually the same.

Actually, Nintendo beat two MS consoles: the MSX and MSX-2.

I think most would agree that the Xbox was a little more successful than the gamecube in terms of market share, although certainly not in terms of profitability. The gamecube didn't do very well in the US compared to the Xbox.
The Wii is on a much faster track than the Xbox 360 in every single region. It is also getting significantly increased developer attention lately. I think it would be silly to suggest the Wii won't take a larger market share than the 360 world wide. The US market is still up in the air: it's simply too early to tell with numbers as close as they are. If the Wii cleanly meets demand this year, we'll have a much better idea.

The PS3's greatest weakness right now is that Sony can't afford to hit the $399 price point they need to hit to vastly increase sales. They've already seen that the PS3 won't sell at $499.

No it didn't. I am pretty sure Xbox beat the Gamecube. One other said otherwise, but that is not confirmed. As for the Xbox 360 and Wii, currently Xbox 360 is outselling the Wii. So it is either Microsoft 2, Nintendo 0, or Microsoft 1, Nintendo 1, depending if Gamecube ever did outsell the Xbox. I still see new Gamecubes out for sale, but I no longer see new Xboxs for sale, so I wouldn't be surprised if Gamecube surpassed the Xbox by now.

I don't care that the Wii is catching up. Yes, it will surpass the Xbox 360, but for the time being, Xbox 360 is beating the Wii.

deadhorse said:

44.86 million PS2s

16.34 million Xboxes

12.44 million Game Cubes

It's hardly fair to say "The gamecube didn't do very well in the US compared to the Xbox".  4 million is not a huge difference compared to 28.5 million difference between the Xbox and the PS2.

At the end, only world-wide sales figures matter the most.

deadhorse said:

44.86 million PS2s

16.34 million Xboxes

12.44 million Game Cubes

It's hardly fair to say "The gamecube didn't do very well in the US compared to the Xbox". 4 million is not a huge difference compared to 28.5 million difference between the Xbox and the PS2.

I would argue that selling 3/4ths as many units as the Xbox is "didn't do very well compared to the Xbox."  Especially when you consider that Nintendo was well established.  Nintendo themselves said that if they only sold as many Wiis as they sold 'cubes, it would be a failure.   Still, it didn't do terrible in the US against the Xbox, but it didn't do very well against it either.

4 million shouldn't be a big gap, but it's a huge relative gap when you're talking about 12.4 and 16.3 milion units sold. 

treivan said:
Wow! I love how nearsighted people are. While NA is responsible for a lot of the game sales worldwide, it is NOT the only source of sales. PS3 outsells 360 in europe and Australia. Look it up. Remember that whole 82% sales drop thing in UK? Funny how the PS3 dropped SO much and still managed to outsell 360 (as does the ps2). In Japan 360's a joke. You really think the Japanese want their next HD gaming console to come from Microsoft? Yeah right!! I'll admit sales are lagging worldwide but that doesn't mean they'll always lag. There's much more in store for all 3 systems than we fully realize. Xbox has Live and IPTV, PS3 has Home and Blu-Ray, and Wii has...Nintendo!

The PS3 is behind both the Wii and 360 in Europe. The PS3 was gaining on the 360 according to the last Chart Track numbers I saw but it that was as the first week of April. As for Australia, the PS3 is third in Australia. A distant third at that, the 360 is number 1 in Australia, the Wii is number 2, and the PS3 is a far behind. 

TheBigFatJ said:
deadhorse said:

44.86 million PS2s

16.34 million Xboxes

12.44 million Game Cubes

It's hardly fair to say "The gamecube didn't do very well in the US compared to the Xbox". 4 million is not a huge difference compared to 28.5 million difference between the Xbox and the PS2.

I would argue that selling 3/4ths as many units as the Xbox is "didn't do very well compared to the Xbox."  Especially when you consider that Nintendo was well established.  Nintendo themselves said that if they only sold as many Wiis as they sold 'cubes, it would be a failure.   Still, it didn't do terrible in the US against the Xbox, but it didn't do very well against it either.

4 million shouldn't be a big gap, but it's a huge relative gap when you're talking about 12.4 and 16.3 milion units sold. 

Why are you looking at U.S. only? You might as well be looking at Sierra Leone only, or Togo only, or Italy only, or Uraguay only. One country means nothing. There are only 300 million people living in the United States. That's small compared to China's 1.5 billion, or India's 1 billion. This is the reason why you must look at world-wide sales figures.

Gamecube is at around 21 million, and Xbox is around 24 million. At least it was for a while. I think Gamecube has beaten Xbox by now. Microsoft stopped making Xbox consoles about a year ago. I think Nintendo is still making Gamecubes, so by now, or at least, in the soon future, the Gamecubes should have outsold Xboxs by now.