By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the Playstation 3 doomed?

larry said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

PSP isn't a success, Sony expected it to oust both the Ipod and the DS, it did neither, in fact it didn't even come close

PS3 isn't doomed but its almost certainly not going to be able to dominate the market, in fact it looks very likely to remain in third place

psp has sold around 22 million units worldwide with healthy software ties. How is that not a success??

ps3 not going to dominate the market?????

even the die hard nintendo fanboys know that by the end of the year ps3 would be topping the console sales list all around the world in terms of softwares and hardwares.

FIXED

Not fixed. Broken. Playstation 3 has a low chance of beating the Wii, let alone, the Xbox 360. The way you put it, you confirmed that the Playstation 3 would win. The Wii is like the DS, and the PS3 is like the PSP. DS beat the PSP. Wii should beat the PS3 and Xbox 360. Should, not confirmed. Why? Price. Wii is just so much cheaper than the PS3 and Xbox 360. Majority of people are cheap, and want the cheaper system. Also, the Wii is innovating. Xbox 360 may have better games, and Playstation 3 may be more powerful, but it looks like the Wii might win this round. It's about time for Nintendo too, after losing so badly to Sony the last two rounds.

Nintendo has never beaten a Microsoft console yet. Sony is tied with Microsoft. They won last generation, but Microsoft is currently winning this generation. Nintendo is a tie with Sony. Sony one the first two generations, but is losing the portable generation, and this year's generation.

However, at the end, its all about the first party games in each system that determines which competitor (Sony, Microsoft, Sega, and Nintendo) are more successful.

24 first party PS1 games have sold more than 1 million copies, the exact same with first party Nintendo 64 games.

33 first party PS2 games have sold more than 1 million copies, the exact same with first party Nintendo Gamecube games.

4 first party Wii games have sold more than 1 million copies. 3 Xbox 360 first part games have sold more than 1 million copies. 0 first party PS3 games have sold more than 1 million copies.

(Wii has already dominated Xbox 360 games in terms of sales of first party games)

20 first party DS games have sold more than 1 million copies. 2 first party PSP games have sold more than 1 million copies.

Here is where it gets just embarassing...

6 first party Xbox games have sold more than 1 million copies. 5 million first party Dreamcast games have sold more than 1 million copies. Dreamcast has been out for about 2 years. Microsoft has been out for about 6 years.

Around the Network
dpmnymkrprez said:
Blue3 said:
a.l.e.x59 said:

I wouldnt be surprised to see Jak and Ratchet on Nintendo.

WOW

either really really ignorant, or one kick ass troll you are.

Wii fanboys will love this dumb thread.

There you go again with using ignorant,.remember sarcasm is the recourse of a weak mind!

Has nothing to do with being ignorant. It is like calling the Next Gen War predictors ignorant for their beliefs. I did not confirm that Jak and Ratchet would be on Nintendo, but seeing Crash and Spyro go to Nintendo, I said I would not be surprised if they made it to Nintendo.

a.l.e.x59 said:
Here is where it gets just embarassing...

6 first party Xbox games have sold more than 1 million copies. 5 million first party Dreamcast games have sold more than 1 million copies. Dreamcast has been out for about 2 years. Microsoft has been out for about 6 years.

Your logic is flawed beyond belief. MS was brand new to the console world in 2001. Of course their first party support has been weak.

Look at it now. Halo, GoW, and Forza are just three games that will easily eclipse 1m games sold. Not to mention Kameo, PDZ, etc.

It takes time to build up franchises. You don't just create them out of thin air. How many great first party games did Sony put out 1995-1998?

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

johnlucas said:
RolStoppable said:

Sony was probably focusing on multimedia because video games alone didn't give them enough profit (2 billions of the PS2 isn't that much money considering how clearly it dominated). As you pointed out the focus for consoles and handhelds should be on games and that's why Sony is losing with PSP and PS3.

I agree with you, there won't be a Playstation 4. There might be another console from Sony, but it would be stupid to keep the name Playstation, because the brandname will be worth nothing after this generation.

Sony gave away their Crash Bandicoot and Spyro franchises after the PSone era, since then they are owned by Vivendi. Both series are multiplatform now and will be in the future considering Vivendi's plans how to handle these franchises.

Ratchet is still an Insomniac game and a PS3 game is in development. Naughty Dog is currently working on Uncharted. I doubt that we will see Ratchet or Jak on a Nintendo console.

Sonic is still owned by Sega and was multiplatform last generation, but it seems that Sonic games will stay exclusive on the Wii in the future, considering the ratings and sales of Sonic the Hedgehog (360/PS3) and Sonic and the secret rings (Wii).

The PS3 is doomed. But it will still take some months or even years for some diehard sony fanboys to realize that. But yes... vvv signature vvv

I remember me & you talking about that very thing I bolded in green in private message.

I figured Sony in the quest to best a stubborn Microsoft and get an edge on profits packed their systems to the gills trying to look for a way to win twice in one system. The strategy for the PS3 is damn near the direct opposite of their one for the first 2 Playstations.

PS1 got credit against a cocky Sega and Nintendo by having CD's cheaper than their competitors. They brought in the $50 retail limit on game prices that we have today (well had). Sega Saturn was overpriced & Playstation 1 looked better by comparison with its reasonably affordable model which did many of the same things Saturn did anyway more or less.

PS2 rode the momentum, launched right, marketed right and kept affordable with affordable games along with a cheap DVD player to boot riding another technology wave.

PS3 tried to MAKE a technology wave with Blu-Ray & it's simply too soon trying to bring these formats in. I have a sneaky feeling in a few years someone is going to outclass both Blu-Ray AND HD-DVD. Some new left field device that renders both obsolete. I just have a sneaking feeling this whole race is for naught.

They launched poorly and boy oh boy did they market poorly. Just like Sega they DOUBLED the price and actually gave away their cost advantage on the games. I look at XBox 360 & PS3's games and I'm like "why did these guys go up to $60?"

And I'm hearing on few games even being released for PS3 right now. I'm like what? It reminds me of N64 all over again WITHOUT the industry changing games like Super Mario 64 & Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Yes, with Microsoft here in the USA and Nintendo all over the world that means doom for the PS3. I don't see Metal Gear Solid 4 showing up on that system & I even wonder about Final Fantasy XIII. I don't see that system making it out alive past 2009. Too much money is getting lost and not enough games are being bought by its owners to cover the gap.

I believe Sony will soon reevaluate its whole corporate structure after the PS3 dies. Layoffs are coming and maybe a game division will be jettisoned. In dominance they barely profitted in comparison to expense put in, in drought they will be submarine level drowning in the water of debt. The games business is notoriously hard to turn a profit from. The whole Playstation deal is the whole child of Kutaragi who's been marginalized. If Sony has no chance to get back on top they will leave this market. What's the point of putting up the good fight if you lose money hand over fist.

On one hand they're lucky because Microsoft hasn't really made a big mark outside of Australia and North America but on the other hand they're usurped at home and abroad all over the world by Nintendo on both fronts. Something's got to give eventually. The industry in its current format cannot hold more than two strong competitors at once. Not for long. If MS wasn't MS, the XBox would have been their first and last system.

All I can tell PS3 fans is simply enjoy your system. But I wouldn't recommend getting too attached to it long term. The race is over.

John Lucas

Actually, Sega's games were CD based at the same time Sony entered the video game market. It was just Nintendo who was stubborn with the cartridge based games. But, you do have to admit, it was really nice having no, or very limited, loading times with the Nintendo 64 games.

sieanr said:
Doomed is all relative... If you mean Sony exiting the market and the remaining PS3s being burned atari style in the desert - no IF you mean #3 in the market, significantly lower penetration than its brethren and/or being considerd a '64 in the eyes of gamers - yes Of course I consider the games library as the determining factor, but this is a sales website :P

Actually, Atari did not burn their systems in the desert. In fact, their systems never even ended up in the desert. However, they did bury many Pac-Man and E.T. games in the desert. Then again, that remains a rumor too. They did not bury any Atari 2600 systems. They were still releasing many Atari 2600 games after E.T. and Pac-Man, so destroying their consoles would be stupid, seeing how they would need to make more for the games that were made after E.T. and Pac-Man. If they did bury any systems, they would have been faulty ones.

Around the Network

What a crock of crap you guys talk.

The ps3 hasnt been out THAT long, and it's only been out in europe a couple of months.

But yet it's sold nearly 4 million units, compared to the 360's 10 million after 18 months.

Do the maths.

Yes, at the moment it's not selling as well as they'd probably hoped.  But once a lot of games come out for it, the price drops, etc.. then people with ps2's will all lap it up.

I currently own a wii and 360.  I'm not buying the ps3 at the moment as it's too expensive.  But to say that i wont buy one ever is nonsense.  Once the price drop, myself and 100s of million of other people will all get one.

Diomedes1976 said:
sieanr said:
Doomed is all relative... If you mean Sony exiting the market and the remaining PS3s being burned atari style in the desert - no IF you mean #3 in the market, significantly lower penetration than its brethren and/or being considerd a '64 in the eyes of gamers - yes Of course I consider the games library as the determining factor, but this is a sales website :P

How can it be overall third when it kicks the crap out of the X360 both in Japan and Europe ?

World wide sales figures.

Xbox 360 is outselling PS3 in North America, and Europe. Only some countries in Europe, it may have been otherwise, for probably a short amount of time. In Japan, however, Xbox 360 took the lead for a very short time. PS3 is now in second place in Japan. Wii is in first place everywhere.

Legend11 said:
Actually is PS3 gpu is 500 as well, it was downgraded in the months leading up to the PS3's release.  That being said the systems are so different in terms of cpu and gpu architecture that it's really difficult to compare them and one simple number is really meaningless.

Are you serious? Does that mean that the PS3's GPU is the same as Xbox 360's? Now that really pisses me off. Not only is the PS3 2 year newer, but 4 pounds heavier, $200 more expensive, focused way more on graphics, lied with trailors, bragged a lot on the console, and started major hype in the world. If that is not embarassing, then I don't know what is. 

billybollockhead said:

What a crock of crap you guys talk.

The ps3 hasnt been out THAT long, and it's only been out in europe a couple of months.

But yet it's sold nearly 4 million units, compared to the 360's 10 million after 18 months.

Do the maths.

Yes, at the moment it's not selling as well as they'd probably hoped. But once a lot of games come out for it, the price drops, etc.. then people with ps2's will all lap it up.

I currently own a wii and 360. I'm not buying the ps3 at the moment as it's too expensive. But to say that i wont buy one ever is nonsense. Once the price drop, myself and 100s of million of other people will all get one.

Since when is 3.28 million nearly 4 million?

okay.. 3.28 million then. Point still holds. >Does that mean that the PS3's GPU is the same as Xbox 360's? Wtf? Where did that come from?