By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - And EA was too harsh on WiiU?

Its about the only thing EA has done that made me smile in I dont know how long.

Around the Network
sundin13 said:

As others have said, its not about "harsh"ness...its the fact that EA is supposed to be a partner to Nintendo (which is very different than being competitors) and they've already gotten on a lot of people's bad sides by being a terrible partner.

The fact that EA is a massively visible company who is easy to hate just adds to the situation.

"Most people who bash EA are nothing more than sheep following the flock." - Yeah, well call me what you will but there are plenty of valid reasons to bash EA. Whether you think people are just following the leader or not, the fact is that the leader has a darn good point.

I'll just quote what I stated a bit ago.

kupomogli said:

How about Hideki Kamiya disrespecting Smash Bros fans for asking if Bayonetta can be in it?  Do you remember this famous quote.  "Enough of Smash idiots.  Fuck off."  As soon as a few minutes pass by everyone forgets about his rude comments, but EA, oh hells no.  EA makes nothing more than a light hearted joke and you've got people bitching for years. 

Kamiya is getting paid to make a game by Nintendo, several, and he curses at the fanbase.  EA isn't even making a game for Nintendo right now.

I know people will spin this in whatever works in their favor, but pointing it out.

TheLastStarFighter said:
DonFerrari said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
It's not that what EA did was too harsh. It's that EA did it. EA is supposed to be business ally. Websites or fans or whoever can mock the industry (including Wii U or Sony) all they want. But a 3rd party mocking one of their sales platforms is a poor decision - that's why they apologized for it.

EA won't release anymore games on WiiU so they aren't partners anymore.

And I don't mind this april joke and I even found it mildly funny and to close to reality.

Was just questioning why just one of them generated an outcry.

Nintendo aren't babies, they can take care of themselves.

Presumably EA aren't releasing games on Wii U at present not because they don't want to, but because it doesn't make business sense.  In theory, if Wii U sales picked up EA would look at selling on the platform because it would make financial sense.  Wii U is a potential platform for them regardless of whether any titles are currently in production for it.

Why you can't understand that this one joke generated outcry is beyond me.  Can you find one gaming company that bashed another company's product on April Fools other than EA?  Find it yet?  OK, perhaps you understand now.

I can think of gabe newell (valve) on ps3

Amazon and sony on xbox paywall

Sony mocking ms and ninty over severous things

Ms on sony over psn breach

Sega nintendon't

And several others

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

kupomogli said:
sundin13 said:

As others have said, its not about "harsh"ness...its the fact that EA is supposed to be a partner to Nintendo (which is very different than being competitors) and they've already gotten on a lot of people's bad sides by being a terrible partner.

The fact that EA is a massively visible company who is easy to hate just adds to the situation.

"Most people who bash EA are nothing more than sheep following the flock." - Yeah, well call me what you will but there are plenty of valid reasons to bash EA. Whether you think people are just following the leader or not, the fact is that the leader has a darn good point.

I'll just quote what I stated a bit ago.

kupomogli said:

How about Hideki Kamiya disrespecting Smash Bros fans for asking if Bayonetta can be in it?  Do you remember this famous quote.  "Enough of Smash idiots.  Fuck off."  As soon as a few minutes pass by everyone forgets about his rude comments, but EA, oh hells no.  EA makes nothing more than a light hearted joke and you've got people bitching for years. 

Kamiya is getting paid to make a game by Nintendo, several, and he curses at the fanbase.  EA isn't even making a game for Nintendo right now.

I know people will spin this in whatever works in their favor, but pointing it out.

Well thats just who Kamiya is...if something annoys him, he says it up front. I think there is a big difference between what Kamiya said and what EA said. One was meant to be a slap in that face to Nintendo and the other was meant to shut up some annoying people...
Of course, I don't particularly like the way Kamiya handled his situation either but I don't feel the two are comparable...

flagstaad said:
DonFerrari said:

And I don't mind this april joke and I even found it mildly funny and to close to reality.

You know Nintendo has more consoles on the market that the Wii U right?. They release "new" FIFA 14 games for both 3DS and Wii last year, so they are still partners, not good ones, not even decent ones, but now that the 3DS is selling pretty good it does not make comercial sense to cut that bridge just now.

Well as kenichi said "a bad friend is still a friend"

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network

See! EA takes a break from updating rosters on regurgitated sport platforms and all hell breaks loose.

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child."

Shigeru Miyamoto

DonFerrari said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
DonFerrari said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
It's not that what EA did was too harsh. It's that EA did it. EA is supposed to be business ally. Websites or fans or whoever can mock the industry (including Wii U or Sony) all they want. But a 3rd party mocking one of their sales platforms is a poor decision - that's why they apologized for it.

Presumably EA aren't releasing games on Wii U at present not because they don't want to, but because it doesn't make business sense.  In theory, if Wii U sales picked up EA would look at selling on the platform because it would make financial sense.  Wii U is a potential platform for them regardless of whether any titles are currently in production for it.

Why you can't understand that this one joke generated outcry is beyond me.  Can you find one gaming company that bashed another company's product on April Fools other than EA?  Find it yet?  OK, perhaps you understand now.

I can think of gabe newell (valve) on ps3

Amazon and sony on xbox paywall

Sony mocking ms and ninty over severous things

Ms on sony over psn breach

Sega nintendon't

And several others

I guess the reason why you are confused is that you can't read.  I said on April Fools.  The reason why this April Fools joke received outcry was it was the only April Fools joke this year that was one games company bashing another.

kupomogli said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

EA was the only games company that mocked another games company for April Fools.  No, most people do not have an irrational dislike for EA.  EA does things that causes people to judge them poorly.  Looking soley at this incident, they deserve the heat they got for it.  They deserve more heat than anyone else because they were only ones to do it.  And they apologized for it because they know what was said was a poor decision.  Quite simple really.

Yeah, as a joke on April Fools, and it was a very light hearted joke. 

Coincidentally, here are other "video game publishers" who mocked other video game companies.  Here's the infamous "Official Playstation Used Game Instructional Video."  It was funny.  You didn't see Xbox fans crying like little bitches did you?

Namco Bandai on the other hand made a pretty hateful comment towards a fan who was port begging.   This got posted as news though. 

https://securecdn.disqus.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/553/3991/original.jpg

I said on April Fools.  So you are either agreeing with me or can't read.  Either way, great.  /thread.

So bashing on april fools is bad but in other days it's okay? Now I heard all.

TheLastStarFighter said:

I said on April Fools.  So you are either agreeing with me or can't read.  Either way, great.  /thread.

What DonFerrari said.  It's bad on April Fools but it's fine every other day?  What does it matter whether you said on April Fools or not.  Atleast with April Fools they were joking, it wasn't very harsh, and took it down because people couldn't take a freaking joke.  On two of the other three examples it was Kamiya and the Namco employee being total dicks to the gamers by saying some pretty hateful comments.  On the other example, Sony was poking fun of Microsoft and everyone thought it was funny.  Xbox fans didn't cry about that.  No need to blow it all out of proportion.