By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Competition is good! Stop wishing doom to Nintendo and Xbox.

So with my first forum post I want to talk about the constant doom wishes MOST Sony fans write on Nintendo and Microsoft for their hardware. At first it annoyed me but now I see it so much its now comical. Yes since PSOne Sony has done well with selling the most consoles I understand that but they also do the most advertising as well. So this leads to my title on why competition is great for anything in this world, especially the video game industry. If Microsoft or Nintendo would go obsolete say goodbye to INNOVATION. Whether the innvoations are Great or terrible they are still important to gaming. Sony doesn't do BOLD Innovations reason why their consoles appeal to 3rd parties and that's fine thats how they run their company nothing wrong it. But saying get rid of other consoles because they are not like Sony is just plain ignornant. It would ruin the gaming industry if it did happen; for example and this example is as clear as day, EA's Madden. Back when I had freedom (no wife and kids) in the late 90's through the early 2000s there were 4 different American Football games to choose from. Madden, NFL 2K, NFL GameDay,  and Blitz. During this time each game had its own uniqueness and each year would have minor upgrades to keep games fresh to try to be the best game, I personally was becoming fond on NFL 2 K myself. Then what happens next? The NFL and EA partner up and give EA exclusive rights to be the only football game in town. After that we see a steady decline in effort to put a new fresh game out each year. The last Madden I bought and played was 06 and havent missed playing it, which sucks. I actually played 13 and thought it looked exactly the same as 06 but with updated rosters. So why would want to see that happen with consoles? Why do want mediocrity just to say your console "won the wars"?. Just doesnt make sense to me............. Hope I'm clear this is my first post and im typing on my phone lol

Around the Network

Yea I agree competition is good but so is spacing

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

People may hate on another product to self-justify their purchase. Consoles are expensive and people sometimes are insecure, so they don't want to feel they "wasted" their money on an "inferior" system.
Come to think of it, I've never seen a wealthy gamer complaining about a console sucking or not.

I definitely agree. Without competition from the 360 or the Wii the PS3 may have remained over $500 over its entire lifespan. Look at what happens when one phone dominated a huge percentage of the marketshare- the iPhone starts at over $650 for new models, and then charges hundreds more for small increments of flash memory. Competition keeps the industry alive.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

What about stop wishing doom to the ps4? Also why are you blaming PS fans?

PS fans had to go through it and we are just 5 months into the new gen and you cannot take already? Oh boy...you and the others complaining are in for a very long gen. 

Around the Network

Yeah I ain't reading that. Use paragraphs.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Two competitors works ... three is overkill and usually ends with one of the companies being forced out of the business (see: Sega).

I think you're mistaking hardware competetion and software competetion as the same thing too, those are different things (ie: EA buying the NFL license). 

Nintendo I think is a worse company today than they were in the 1990s, mainly because Microsoft has moved into the game business and over-saturated the market for a core gaming console. In the late 90s/early 2000s Nintendo was a company that would give a more balanced portfolio of games like GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, NBA Courtside, Wave Race, Conker's BFD, Killer Instinct, Eternal Darkness, 1080 Snowboarding, etc. to go with Mario and co ... but today they've abandoned that. 

And really for what? MS doesn't need the game industry, they don't need the meager profits it generates, they're the rich guy at school who could have any girl he wants but purposely goes out of his way to take your girlfriend, lol. 

I'll just automatically agree with everything you've said because you're also a dolphins fan. :L

The point is clear and I've hardly seen anyone actively wishing for one of the big 3 to get out of the console business, all I see is people celebrating when their favourite console does well and pointing fingers at systems that don't do well and this comes with the territory of this site and is naturally not exclusive to PS fans.

Most people are the happiest when all of the big 3 are doing well, which was pretty apparent in the february NPD thread, which revealed that all 3 consoles did (a lot) better then vgchartz showed and in that thread I pretty much saw no bashing or anything like that, if I remember correctly.

Einsam_Delphin said:
I'll just automatically agree with everything you've said because you're also a dolphins fan. :L

Wait a minute, he's a Dolphins fan? 

I reincide my opinion, Patriots ftw!

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC