By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Reintroduction of original XB1 2014

binary solo said:

So you're forced to buy the overpriced Xbox BR drive rather than a cheap BR drive oin order to be able to watch BR movies etc all through the one HDMI port on your TV? doesn't sound like a very good solution. And of course most cable boxes come with DVR, so an Xbox proprietary DVR would seem to have limited utility.

Anyway, aside from reducing the form factor, removing BR drive doesn;t reduce the cost of the Xbox by that much, so you're losing a lot of functionality and having to shoehorn alternative solutions for very little cost saving. If you just remove the BR drive and sell the Xb one for $399 you're still losing money on the hardware.

Wifi dongle on x360 was 99$.

You're looking at it from such a simplistic viewpoint.

This thread wasn't made to find cost reductions. I don't know where in teh thread you got turned around, and sure I'll take the blame for you not understanding. But this thread isn't a "how can we get the xbox1 price down" thread.

This is a "creative vision" thread.
The creative vision here is that MS releases an alternative box, which costs them less, and brings back the strategic pursuits they originally wanted. Total Azure integration into major retailers, control of used games market, reduction of production costs all around, better analysis of pre-orders.

I don't know why you're talking about shoehorning alternative solutions. There is no shoe-horning here. There was criticism that no discs wouldn't work. I disagree, but because my debate partners are big babies I offered a simple solution that MS used all throughout the 360 gen: Modular expensive addons they got for free in the more expensive version.

Around the Network

I personally don't care for BR never bought never will.... I think its the crapiest storage solution ever invented since the CD and then the DVD... Yeah you heard right I DO think two of the most ever used storage solution are shit...

but I also think they won't do a no BR drive Xbox one... They already put that rumor to rest and like some people said it would diminish the all in one media box solution approach... One of the big reason I love my Xbox is because I can diminish the number of device I need... Ultimately I do want a box to rule them all (and no not a PC) nor t several independent ones... Heck ideally I'd want one TV with everything integrated to it...

theprof00 said:
binary solo said:

So you're forced to buy the overpriced Xbox BR drive rather than a cheap BR drive oin order to be able to watch BR movies etc all through the one HDMI port on your TV? doesn't sound like a very good solution. And of course most cable boxes come with DVR, so an Xbox proprietary DVR would seem to have limited utility.

Anyway, aside from reducing the form factor, removing BR drive doesn;t reduce the cost of the Xbox by that much, so you're losing a lot of functionality and having to shoehorn alternative solutions for very little cost saving. If you just remove the BR drive and sell the Xb one for $399 you're still losing money on the hardware.

This thread wasn't made to find cost reductions. I don't know where in teh thread you got turned around, and sure I'll take the blame for you not understanding. But this thread isn't a "how can we get the xbox1 price down" thread.

The creative vision here is that MS releases an alternative box, which costs them less, and brings back the strategic pursuits they originally wanted. Total Azure integration into major retailers, control of used games market, reduction of production costs all around, better analysis of pre-orders.

I don't know why you're talking about shoehorning alternative solutions. There is no shoe-horning here. There was criticism that no discs wouldn't work. I disagree, but because my debate partners are big babies I offered a simple solution that MS used all throughout the 360 gen: Modular expensive addons they got for free in the more expensive version.

LOL MS did not use the solution throughot the 360 generation once the 360S came out the only separte add on they had was the 250 and 320GB HDD but most people bought the 250GB or 320GB special editions (plus they gave you the option to use 16GB flash drives as a HDD option) so I doubt that they sold a lot of hard drives that is probably one reason they got out of the HDD business for the X1 and soon you can use any external HDD to upgrade your storage capacity for the X1.

theprof00 said:
binary solo said:

I doubt the market cares about Microsoft's creative vision for the industry.

Thus a sku that does this would have to be drastically reduced in price compared to the competition to even get any attention. Not to mention it might hurt word of mouth for the console which the PS4 has in spades. What they are doing right now is the best possible course of action although I feel that they should invest more in 1st party studios. Value the consumer, make em talk about the Xb1, a digital only box doesn't seem like the best way to do that.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Chris Hu said:

LOL MS did not use the solution throughot the 360 generation once the 360S came out the only separte add on they had was the 250 and 320GB HDD but most people bought the 250GB or 320GB special editions (plus they gave you the option to use 16GB flash drives as a HDD option) so I doubt that they sold a lot of hard drives that is probably one reason they got out of the HDD business for the X1 and soon you can use any external HDD to upgrade your storage capacity for the X1.

BRilliant argument. "Most people"... "I doubt".... "probably"...

360s was 5 years after release.

Again.
Modular Hard Drive
Modular HDDVD
Modular Wifi Dongle

You wanna argue about the BR drive, go right ahead. I honestly don't care to argue this point with you if this is how it's going to be.
This is a business model that has proven successful for decades in almost every market, and there's no reason it couldn't work here.

Around the Network

Sigh... Are we still talking about that discless crap?

I think people is NOT going to buy a console with no blu-ray drive so if they do they will push it back soon like they did with their DRM and second hand games politic.

theprof00 said:
Chris Hu said:

Again.
Modular Hard Drive
Modular HDDVD
Modular Wifi Dongle

You wanna argue about the BR drive, go right ahead. I honestly don't care to argue this point with you if this is how it's going to be.
This is a business model that has proven successful for decades in almost every market, and there's no reason it couldn't work here.

That was last gen though.

Doesn't modular anything contradict the whole all in one thing thats at the core of this "creative vision"?

I agree that the need to build userbase, but decreasing the barrier of entry, by partitioning the sku, might not be as effective this time around.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
theprof00 said:
Chris Hu said:

Again.
Modular Hard Drive
Modular HDDVD
Modular Wifi Dongle

That was last gen though.

Doesn't modular anything contradict the whole all in one thing thats at the core of this "creative vision"?

I agree that the need to build userbase, but decreasing the barrier of entry, by partitioning the sku, might not be as effective this time around.

THat's all I'm saying.

The question is in the bolded.