By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Making KH 1.5 and 2.5 HD as exclusives makes no sense

The PS2's Kingdom Hearts games were published by Sony in the west. I wouldn't be surprised if all those games on Sony systems have an exclusivity contract. That would also explain why 358/2 days and Re:coded are not playables due to be on Nintendo consoles.

Around the Network

I think it should probably be on the 360 but not so much the WiiU since KH3 isn't coming to that platform doesn't really seem logical.

But as many have said it's most likely a contract issue, I mean what does SE have to gain by being exclusive? Plus Sony owns alot of shares in SE so they are probably hassling them for some returns.

Soriku said:

This isn't true at all. Only KH1 was published by Sony...in Europe and Australia alone. All of the other games were published by SE.

There is no contract for Days or Recoded. Originally Days was supposed to be playable in 1.5, but they didn't have enough time to rework the game, so they just left it as cutscenes. Recoded is just following what they did for Days.

Yes, I just realised it was only in Europe, my bad. But still, we don't know if there is some kind of contract for those games (at least kh1 and 2) or if its just that Square knows ps3 is the only place where the games are gonna sell enough. I'm more a fan of the second one...

Soriku said:
leyendax69 said:
The PS2's Kingdom Hearts games were published by Sony in the west. I wouldn't be surprised if all those games on Sony systems have an exclusivity contract. That would also explain why 358/2 days and Re:coded are not playables due to be on Nintendo consoles.

This isn't true at all. Only KH1 was published by Sony...in Europe and Australia alone. All of the other games were published by SE.

There is no contract for Days or Recoded. Originally Days was supposed to be playable in 1.5, but they didn't have enough time to rework the game, so they just left it as cutscenes. Recoded is just following what they did for Days.

think-man said:
I think it should probably be on the 360 but not so much the WiiU since KH3 isn't coming to that platform doesn't really seem logical.

But as many have said it's most likely a contract issue, I mean what does SE have to gain by being exclusive? Plus Sony owns alot of shares in SE so they are probably hassling them for some returns.

You could say this for many, many games which are exclusive. There isn't always a contract involved. They just likely believe they won't be getting many sales on platforms other than PS3.

People always bring up the whole shares thing for some reason, but in practice I don't think it even matters. Sony used to own 8% in shares, but that probably went down once SE acquired Eidos and such.

It's not worth hassling them for returns over remasters. If anything they'd be trying to get KH3 and FF XV exclusive, but that didn't happen. And it doesn't even matter when most people will buy those games on PS4 anyway.

This Sony isnt going to get in some bidding war when they know most people will buy the game on their system anyway, hell FF13 already proved that and thats with MS doing exclusive ads and bundling the game.

ktay95 said:
OK EVERYONE THIS IS WHERE IT BEGINS.
TIME TO RALLY TOGETHER FOR KH 1.5 & 2.5 HD COLLECTIONS ON VITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHO'S WITH ME??

Tbh, i'd rather that than the ps3 versions.

Around the Network
Wright said:
OttoniBastos said:

It's is a Fact that JRPG don't sell great on Xbox 360.

Again, what's the evidence on this?

I think if you look at how many JRPGs the 360 get from smaller JRPG devs, you get your answer. There is a reason why the PS3 has loads of JRPGs from smaller studios (ex. Disgaea, Atelier-series, Persona 5, Dragons Crown (maybe not a pure JRPG), Trinity Souls, Ar Tonelico, Tears to Tiara, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Valkyria Chronicles, etc etc etc), and the 360 does not, and I think the reason is that devs have found out that there is not a good market for JRPGs on the 360.

akuseru said:
Wright said:
OttoniBastos said:

It's is a Fact that JRPG don't sell great on Xbox 360.

Again, what's the evidence on this?

I think if you look at how many JRPGs the 360 get from smaller JRPG devs, you get your answer. There is a reason why the PS3 has loads of JRPGs from smaller studios (ex. Disgaea, Atelier-series, Persona 5, Dragons Crown (maybe not a pure JRPG), Trinity Souls, Ar Tonelico, Tears to Tiara, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Valkyria Chronicles, etc etc etc), and the 360 does not, and I think the reason is that devs have found out that there is not a good market for JRPGs on the 360.

Do you realize Ottoni says that for an JRPG to sell great, it has to break a million? That's the base of the argument, and Disgaea, Atelier, Persona, Dragon's Crown, Trinity Souls, Ar Tonelico, Tears to Tiara, Hyperdimension Neptunia and some others haven't sold one million.

So if we go by the logic of this man, JRPGs don't do great on Ps3 either.

Which is dumb.

Wright said:
akuseru said:

Do you realize Ottoni says that for an JRPG to sell great, it has to break a million? That's the base of the argument, and Disgaea, Atelier, Persona, Dragon's Crown, Trinity Souls, Ar Tonelico, Tears to Tiara, Hyperdimension Neptunia and some others haven't sold one million.

So if we go by the logic of this man, JRPGs don't do great on Ps3 either.

Which is dumb.

Don't really care what Ottoni says or do not say.

All I am saying is that I believe that if JRPGs sold well (according to JRPG standards) on the XBOX360, more devs would make them for the system. Since no Japanese devs are focusing on the system, I draw the conclusion that the 360 is not a viable platform for JRPG devs.

Also if you take into account that most of the early 3rd party 360 exclusive JRPGs (Tales of Vesperia, Eternal Sonata, Star Ocean comes to mind) eventually ended up on the PS3, and even with a late release sold on par with the 360 version (Tales-series also saw no further releases on the 360 as far as I am concerned), I think it is safe to draw the conclusion that Japanese devs think that their games sell poorly or have no audience on the 360.

akuseru said:

Don't really care what Ottoni says or do not say.

All I am saying is that I believe that if JRPGs sold well (according to JRPG standards) on the XBOX360, more devs would make them for the system. Since no Japanese devs are focusing on the system, I draw the conclusion that the 360 is not a viable platform for JRPG devs.

Also if you take into account that most of the early 3rd party 360 exclusive JRPGs (Tales of Vesperia, Eternal Sonata, Star Ocean comes to mind) eventually ended up on the PS3, and even with a late release sold on par with the 360 version (Tales-series also saw no further releases on the 360 as far as I am concerned), I think it is safe to draw the conclusion that Japanese devs think that their games sell poorly or have no audience on the 360.

But I was arguing against the one million selling point of Ottoni. Glad to see another one who knows that JRPGs don't need to break a million to be considered "great" in JRPG standards.

Regarding your conclusions, I think it all depends on the dev and its expectations. I mean, Cavia's games sell like crap in my opinion, yet they still make exclusive 360 games because they seem to have a hardcore fanbase that makes them profit, no matter how small the sales or the japanese fanbase (they do tend to localize the games though).

Vesperia, for example, move great numbers despite what people say. However, in Japan it did...okay. Just that. Not bad, but not great either, and Bandai Namco only wants to cater for their japanese fanbase first, so that push them to put the game on Ps3 too (but they didn't bother localizing it). Vesperia did the same numbers in Japan alone Ps3 than 360's entire demographic. So that's the thing. Eternal Sonata and Star Oceans are a different thing. They ended up on Ps3 because MS bought them timed-exclusively. THey were going to be released for the Ps3 eventually, no matter the circumstances.

However, as some other user pointed out, maybe it has something to do with the risk. Because, as far as I'm concerned, I've never seen an Atelier or Air Tonelico game (Or Hyperdimension Neptunia, considering it mocks the console warzs) on a microsoft console; so you can't really tell if it is viable or not. Dark Souls, for example, turned to do great on 360, and that was somewhat niche (not anymore, I suppose) considering Demon's Souls's legacy. In most cases, 360's does half of what Ps3 do, but that seems to be enough. I mean, Tri-Ace was happy with the sales of Resonance of Fate on 360, for example.

Wright said:

Regarding your conclusions, I think it all depends on the dev and its expectations. I mean, Cavia's games sell like crap in my opinion, yet they still make exclusive 360 games because they seem to have a hardcore fanbase that makes them profit, no matter how small the sales or the japanese fanbase (they do tend to localize the games though).

that studio is already closed... T_T