By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Making KH 1.5 and 2.5 HD as exclusives makes no sense

shikamaru317 said:

I agree, it's foolish of Square Enix. Sony must have payed alot for that deal. As it stands KH3 might sell 1m on Xbox one, if it's lucky, since only those Xbox owners like me who've played previous KH games on other systems will have a clue what's going on, but it would have sold at least 50% more if Xbox fans had a chance to play KH1 and KH 2.5 HD on Xbox 360 or Xbox One before KH3 releases, not to mention the fact that 1.5 and 2.5 would have sold at least 750k units each on the 360 or One. That's alot of sales and money that Square is passing up, therefore Sony must have paid for exclusivity or Square's executives are just plain idiots (which I admit may be the case).

Wait, what? A console that will probably have around 4-6 million sold by the time KH comes out will be able to sell 1m copies of a JRPG? FFXIII sold a little over 2m copies on the 360 with having around 50-60m consoles sold. I do not think it will do that good. If it's lucky it will sell around 500k.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Fusioncode said:
Sony payed for exclusivity. What's the big deal?

Why are people saying this in this thread?

Is it really so shocking that a JRPG dev made some games Sony exclusive on their own? It's not just SE. Gust games are all exclusive, Persona 5 is PS3 exclusive, Tales of Zestiria is going to be PS3 exclusive. You don't think Sony payed for all of those games, do you?

The vast majority of people will buy the games on Sony systems, so there isn't a good opporunity cost to make multiplats. This is pretty common with JRPGs.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

People stop whining just buy a PS3 and these games plus FFX HD and enjoy life.

Xbox is just not a good place for JRPGs. They sell terribly on it. Some major ones, like FFXV and KH3 will do fine because they are huge sequels. Remakes like FFX/X-2 and KH1.5/2.5 wouldn't do nearly as well, as the main audience would be major hardcore fans who want to replay the games, and most of those fans bought Playstations for other JRPGs as well.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

shikamaru317 said:

KH3 is coming out in 2015 or 2016, Final Fantasy XV is also directed by Tetsuya Nomura and is releasing first and it still doesn't even have a 2014 release window. Xbox One sales are tracking towards about 7m a year right now, so assuming that KH3 releases in late 2015-late 2016, Xbox One will be somwhere in the neighborhood of 13-24m by the time it releases. Also note that I said that KH3 would be lucky to sell 1m on Xbox One since so many Xbox fans haven't played previous Kingdom Hearts games (which is the whole point of my post, that it's foolish of Square to not release 1.5 and 2.5 on the 360 or One, as they'd have substantial sales themselves and boost KH3's sales). 

I'd think FFXV would be released around 2015 or even 2016 but we would have to wait till E3 to see. Considering KH3 is "now in development" according to last E3 and Nomura himself said KH3 is very far from being complete would make me believe it wouldn't get released till 2016 or even 2017. 

Bold 2: Where are you getting this from? It's possible for the Xbone to sell 7m this year alone but I don't think it will continue its trend.

Bold 3: That's a very optimisitc view.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Fusioncode said:
Sony payed for exclusivity. What's the big deal?

Why are people saying this in this thread?

Is it really so shocking that a JRPG dev made some games Sony exclusive on their own? It's not just SE. Gust games are all exclusive, Persona 5 is PS3 exclusive, Tales of Zestiria is going to be PS3 exclusive. You don't think Sony payed for all of those games, do you?

The vast majority of people will buy the games on Sony systems, so there isn't a good opporunity cost to make multiplats. This is pretty common with JRPGs.

well to be fair, there are a few KH games that are NOT on Sony systems enough to be noticable and make a difference. Yes one could say the same for Tales, but even then I think just about all the games in that series has been released on PS format in some way shape or form. It is just weird that so many games have been strecthed to so many systems. Not saying they paid for exclusivity. But it is odd that they are putting 3 on One but not one KH games has ever been released on a xbox system before, i think they were thinking One would have done better or MS approached them ala FF13.

OT Zero isnt wrong, but to be fair when its all said and done you only need a PS3 and a 3ds to get the full series. THats not really too crazy.

its not that xbox is not a good place for JRPGs its just that PS is a MUCH better place for them.

Zero999 said:
ps3-sales! said:

Um, ok. 

Well like everything in a business; there is always a reason. You can't put this into a vacuem and say "oh it's a bad move they should change it blah blah" without a reason as to why it happened in the first place. 

If all game developers/publishers wanted to they would put their game on as many platforms as possible. Reason??? To make the most money. 

Sony obviously wanted to keep KH assosiated with Playstation. Hence the exclusivity. 

You're welcome :)

And this move hurts gamers.

Hate to break it to you but businesses care about money not the gamers.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Goatseye said:
BMaker11 said:
Goatseye said:
lucidium said:
Give sora a gun and replace all Disney references with swear words and add a totally unnecessary cover system and it could work on Xbox.

A joke but sadly accurate.

top 10 PS360 have 8 shooters and 2 exceptions. You're on VG Chartz use it.

lucidium said:
Give sora a gun and replace all Disney references with swear words and add a totally unnecessary cover system and it could work more on PS3.

A joke but sadly accurate.

That's a little unfair, don't you think? To just go by "Top 10". Knowing CoD is a huge franchise that is also annual and GTA is GTA. It's disingenuous because 10M+ is rare for most games, but you have 2 franchises that are pretty much guaranteed to sell that much (1 of which comes out every year). Look below that, though. Red Dead, Skyrim, Uncharted, MGS, LBP, Batman, Final Fantasy XIII etc. I believe that's more indicative of what a fanbase likes, instead of narrowing it down to the "Top 10", which is littered with the biggest franchise of the 7th gen that releases every year.

It's unfair to call xbox the shooter console, when also outside of the top 10 there are Kinect games that sold well, Gears, Skyrim, Batman, Arcade games, Indies etc...

It's called the "shooterbox" not because of the sales of games, but because of what games are notable on the console. Skyrim, Batman, Indies.....those are available on both consoles, so they're no more definitive of one console over the other. I guess I was incorrect to  list Red  Dead, Skyrim, etc. in that regard. But compare both consoles. What games do you know the system for?

Because the drop menus are ordered by sales, this is just what I'm going by when I scroll down: for PS3, there's Gran Turismo, Uncharted, Metal Gear, LBP, God of War, Last of Us, Resistance, Motorstorm, Killzone, Heavy Rain, Infamous, Ratchet and Clank, Heavenly Sword, MAG, KH1.5, Virtua Fighter, Warhawk, Demon's Souls and Naruto, and that's just the over million sellers list.

On 360, there's Halo, Gears, Fable, Kinect stuff, Forza, Left 4 Dead, Crackdown, PGR, Alan Wake....and those were the only exclusive series I could find on the first page 200 games.

Look at the two lists. If we stretch the word "shooter", since you did so to say GTA is one, of 19 games or series that are only on PS3 and PS3 owner bought the most, 13 are non-shooters (I counted Uncharted, TLOU, Resistance, KZ, MAG, and Warhawk as shooters). Of the 9 games/series that are only on X360 and X360 owners bought the most, 4 of them are shooters (I counted Halo, Gears, L4D, and Crackdown as shooters). It hurts the 360 more because there's less to choose from, but near 50% of games or franchises you can only get on 360 (that you guys actually bought) are shooters. Hence why it's called the "shooterbox". Obviously there's games like N3 and Lost Odyssey, but those games aren't the perception people have when they think "Xbox", and the sales show it

Tbh I kind of agree.. Should have been on vita/ps3/360 at least..... So that kh 3 could sell more on nexgen.. But oh well

mM