By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - wii u sells 50k more units in 2014 so far then same time frame 2013

zorg1000 said:
FinalFantasyXIII said:
jigokutamago said:
cusman said:
Here is the problem with Wii U

The Wii became irrelevant very quickly to the core gamers about 3 years after release as the other consoles became better for the core gamers. Sure it kind of limpered along for a couple of extra years before finally being replaced by Wii U. The failure of Wii to core gamers meant, not too many enthusiastic early adopters this time around driving up the demand and causing any kind of mass market adoption frenzy (like the Wii caused).

To make things worse, the Wii U being "watched" by those core gamers very quickly entered the irrelevant stage, especially as competing consoles from Microsoft and especially Sony really upped the game.

While Wii U goes largely ignored even as it has still more games than the other 8th gen consoles, it is the future of Wii U that makes it look bleak. The other consoles have tons of games coming and Wii U has just more Mario games.

Unless you have to play Mario games... the Wii U is irrelevant.

I want to express my doubts over the fact that you did your research concerning upcomming Wii U games before making the statement, "Wii U has just more Mario games". If you did do your reasearch, I am curious how did you draw this conclusion from the information we have available to us. If you did not do your reasearch, I would suggest you not make baseless statements.

Baseless?

Well the only games I know of coming to Wii U this year are Mario Kart 8, Super Smash (Mario) Bros Wii U, and Bayonetta 2.

2 for 3 Mario games for the Wii U makes you the more baseless one commenting imho.

Smash Bros is not a Mario game, by that logic I can say its a Metroid game since Samus is in it.

Do Mario Bros characters dominate more than any other characters available in every Smash Bros games? Yes.

Because I think of it as a Mario fighting game that ran out of Mario characters. So then Nintendo did the logical thing and, made a fighting universe game with other Nintendo characters so people wouldn't complain about such a small roster of Mario characters. It's also not called Nintendo Smash Bros for a reason. Reason being "Mario" in the title sells games to average consumers who own the Nintendo platform. 

Therefore it's centered around (1st)Mario characters in the (2nd)Nintendo platform universe.

2 much logic for you?

Around the Network

Since when was mario in the title wtf? Also there is way more then 3 games coming out for wii u.

FinalFantasyXIII said:
zorg1000 said:
FinalFantasyXIII said:
jigokutamago said:
cusman said:
Here is the problem with Wii U

The Wii became irrelevant very quickly to the core gamers about 3 years after release as the other consoles became better for the core gamers. Sure it kind of limpered along for a couple of extra years before finally being replaced by Wii U. The failure of Wii to core gamers meant, not too many enthusiastic early adopters this time around driving up the demand and causing any kind of mass market adoption frenzy (like the Wii caused).

To make things worse, the Wii U being "watched" by those core gamers very quickly entered the irrelevant stage, especially as competing consoles from Microsoft and especially Sony really upped the game.

While Wii U goes largely ignored even as it has still more games than the other 8th gen consoles, it is the future of Wii U that makes it look bleak. The other consoles have tons of games coming and Wii U has just more Mario games.

Unless you have to play Mario games... the Wii U is irrelevant.

I want to express my doubts over the fact that you did your research concerning upcomming Wii U games before making the statement, "Wii U has just more Mario games". If you did do your reasearch, I am curious how did you draw this conclusion from the information we have available to us. If you did not do your reasearch, I would suggest you not make baseless statements.

Baseless?

Well the only games I know of coming to Wii U this year are Mario Kart 8, Super Smash (Mario) Bros Wii U, and Bayonetta 2.

2 for 3 Mario games for the Wii U makes you the more baseless one commenting imho.

Smash Bros is not a Mario game, by that logic I can say its a Metroid game since Samus is in it.

Do Mario Bros characters dominate more than any other characters available in every Smash Bros games? Yes.

Because I think of it as a Mario fighting game that ran out of Mario characters. So then Nintendo did the logical thing and, made a fighting universe game with other Nintendo characters so people wouldn't complain about such a small roster of Mario characters. It's also not called Nintendo Smash Bros for a reason. Reason being "Mario" in the title sells games to average consumers who own the Nintendo platform. 

Therefore it's centered around (1st)Mario characters in the (2nd)Nintendo platform universe.

2 much logic for you?

It doesnt matter that u think its a Mario fighting game that ran out of characters because thats clearly not what it is. The first game had 12 characters, if they wanted to they could have easily filled that roster with just Mario characters. Ever since the beginning there has been Pokemon, Zelda, Kirby, Star Fox, Metroid, Earthbound, Donkey Kong, F-Zero characters and since then they have added characters from Fire Emblem, Ice Climbers, Pikmin, Kid Icarus, among others while adding additional characters from previously stated games and even added non Nintendo characters like Sonic, Megaman, Snake. The series never was and never will be a Mario fighting game.

Mario isnt in the title, I have no clue where u came up with that.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

FinalFantasyXIII said:
zorg1000 said:
FinalFantasyXIII said:
jigokutamago said:

Baseless?

2 much logic for you?

Your claim that Smash Bros is a Mario game is based on your own speculation and incorrect information.

"I think of it as a Mario fighting game that ran out of Mario characters. So then Nintendo did the logical thing and made a fighting universe game with other Nintendo characters so people wouldn't complain about such a small roster of Mario characters."

Incorrect. The original SSB had 3 Mario characters, 2 Pokemon characters, and 7 characters from other Nintendo series. DK, Star Fox, F-Zero, Kirby, Zelda, Earthbound and Metroid are all represented in the roster of 12. There are more than 12 Mario characters Nintendo could have chosen from for the original SSB without dipping into any of their other franchises. The original SSB roster is proof that using characters from multiple franchises was a part of its concept.

"It's also not called Nintendo Smash Bros for a reason. Reason being "Mario" in the title sells games to average consumers who own the Nintendo platform."

Incorrect. "Mario" does not appear anywhere in any of the titles of the Smash Brothers series. The word "Brothers", however, does, which is a great subliminal way to entice people to buy a product which features as part of its line-up, one of the most successful videogame characters of all time.

"Do Mario Bros characters dominate more than any other characters available in every Smash Bros games? Yes."

You are correct to an extent, in as much as there are more characters representing the Mario series than any other series. In a roster of 39, Brawl had 5 from Mario, 4 from Zelda, 4 from Pokemon, 3 from Star fox, and representatives from a further 9 different series, (including DK, Wario, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Earthbound, Fire Emblem, Pikmin, Ice Climbers, Robot, and two 3rd party series).

However, your claim that Mario characters dominate in every Smash Bros game, (when Mario beats Pokemon by just 1 in two of those iterations) is incorrect.

"Therefore it's centered around (1st)Mario characters in the (2nd)Nintendo platform universe. 2 much logic for you?"

Unfortunately, logic is sadly lacking, here.

Smash Bros is not a part of a Mario series. As I have shown, it is a distinct crossover series in its own right, which pits characters from different Nintendo series against one another.

"Baseless? Well the only games I know of coming to Wii U this year are Mario Kart 8, Super Smash (Mario) Bros Wii U, and Bayonetta 2. 2 for 3 Mario games for the Wii U makes you the more baseless one commenting imho."

Everything you have said in this quote has been invalidated by the admission that you don't know what games are coming to the Wii U. Google 'upcoming Wii U games' to enlighten yourself.

yes, better than last year which was still into the first 6 months... must be good news... but we need at least to get to 100k a week to be ok.

Switch!!!

Around the Network

Im hoping mario kart if advertized right will get us there

dsp333 said:
Vita is up nearly 300k same time frame in comparison, and Vita outsold the Wii U last year by about 20k iirc.

That's actually really bad considering 3D World legs should've carried into the new year + big first party release (DK) that last year didn't have.

Why are you bringing the Vita into this thread when its a comparison the Wii U's sales years. Its just flame baiting.

Back in early January I was predicting a 10 % increase in total sales during the period between January 1 and the release of Mario Kart 8, and it looks like that prediction might be on track (at the moment). What I did not predict however was that Mario Kart 8 would be released as late as May 30. I was expecting a release in late March or early April.

The real test comes in April and May. With no software releases worth mentioning, those months will define if there really is a change of heart among consumers right now compared to last year. Nintendo needs to achieve 40 000+ sales each week during the next 7 weeks to atleast have a chance of being a force to be reckoned with during once software is released in a steady phase. Considering the drought in software releases during these weeks, it would truely be a major achievement to reach and sustain weekly sales of 40 000 systems.

As we know at the moment its seems to be around 35k to 40k if mk8 hype begins it may start to increase

We'll nintendo does have a great track record for making profits with small sales; let me guess the profit $50.00 wow that should be great incentive to continue consoles