By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Do You Want Nintendo To Do E3 This Year? <(^_^<)

So how should they do it!?

Like last year! (directs ... 53 19.06%

Traditionally! (press conference) 203 73.02%

Something else! (post explanation) 18 6.47%

Total:274

Honestly, the ND is not a bad move and they could make something big and different there.

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
Nintentacle said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Nintentacle said:
Definitely a traditional conference.

Why? You even live in the US.

I don't understand...

What don't you understand? I simply asked why you'd want them to do a press conference instead, especially since you'd probably be able to participate in the hands on events as you live in the US, atleast according to your profile.

He's right; You really aren't making any sense at all! Like not at aaaaall.

the_dengle said:
There's just something exciting about hearing the live reaction of a crowd. ND gets the job done, but it's not as much fun.

True, but the direct get's the job done better as it's to the point, focused solely on games, and takes much less time overall. Also the hands-on events were uber fun!

SubiyaCryolite said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
E3 direct would be a bad move. Only the hardcore (existing) fans care about that. They need a presentation that will get the gaming media, mainstream media and gamers talking. They have the talent, they have the resources. They can do it.

Any proof that only hardcore fans cared and that they didn't get people talking last year? Apparently many of yal feel they should go with a conference, but I haven't heard much reason as to why that'd be better.

No solid proof, based on my own experiences. IMHO Nintendo doesn't seem "present" this gen. Did any mainstream (non gaming) press cover anything Nintendo announced last year? Did we get hype, fancy reveal trailers, showfloor demos, any announcements whatsoever? Do the kind of people who bought a Wii know whatever the hell a direct is?

Very few people know what it is. Very few know that it exists. Yet even non gamers (way down here in southern Africa) knew when the PS4 and XB1 were launching, they know what those are. I've lost count of how many times I've had to tell people what my Wii U is. The Wii was known, the Wii had presence. The U is a recluse. Directs are like it hanging out with its hipster buddies in its mothers basement or something.

I like directs but I don't think they are effective marketing to the masses. Its good for the fans but Nintendo needs more customers than fans right now. This is my assumption, internet != real life. Directs have zero effect on the market in my opinion. And not everyone can physically go to E3 or wall-mart to play these games.

The Wii U's problems have nothing to do with the E3 Direct though. It was selling badly before E3 2013 and after E3 2012 where they did a normal press conference, so whether or not they do a press conference or a direct wont change anything. Because of that, they may aswell go the cheaper, easier, and more fan friendly route.

Einsam_Delphin said:
the_dengle said:
There's just something exciting about hearing the live reaction of a crowd. ND gets the job done, but it's not as much fun.

True, but the direct get's the job done better as it's to the point, focused solely on games, and takes much less time overall. Also the hands-on events were uber fun!

I disagree. They aren't obligated to take focus away from games in a live conference, and they often spend Direct time talking about services and other things unrelated to games, anyway.

Directs are shorter, I'll give you that. But we already get 5+ major Directs each year and this is the only opportunity for a "live" Direct, so I say go for it.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
the_dengle said:

I disagree. They aren't obligated to take focus away from games in a live conference, and they often spend Direct time talking about services and other things unrelated to games, anyway.

Directs are shorter, I'll give you that. But we already get 5+ major Directs each year and this is the only opportunity for a "live" Direct, so I say go for it.

Idk if they have to or not, but they do it anyway, what with them going on about sales data or hearing them say how awesome something is for 30 minutes before actually showing it. Also I'm talking about the E3 direct specifically, not all directs in general. I can only remember game talk going on at last year's E3, instantly going straight from one game to the next.

It should be a conference. The reasons are: 1. No lag like in the NDC which ruined perception of 3DWorld. 2. Better media coverage - IGN treated the NDC as an afterthought. 3. Fan hype. Crowd reaction is important. Zelda U should have the exact opposite reveal as M3D - ie, no lag on video and cheers from fans.

Nintendo needs to realize that when you remove media from the equation with a direct broadcast, you also remove their desire to promote your content.

Einsam_Delphin said:
the_dengle said:

The NDC was a lag fest. Conferences are not. The resolution was so poor and video so choppy that I honestly thought 3DWorld was a 3DS game, and I was angry when it wasn't. Not the reaction you want.

TheLastStarFighter said:
It should be a conference. The reasons are: 1. No lag like in the NDC which ruined perception of 3DWorld. 2. Better media coverage - IGN treated the NDC as an afterthought. 3. Fan hype. Crowd reaction is important. Zelda U should have the exact opposite reveal as M3D - ie, no lag on video and cheers from fans.

Nintendo needs to realize that when you remove media from the equation with a direct broadcast, you also remove their desire to promote your content.

1. True, the lag was real, though I'd like to think they'd have fixed it the next time around.
2. Idk, IGN's MK8 video has almost 2 million views. Also with hands on events, anyone can post coverage, possibly popular bloggers or youtubers.
3. You got me there, even though I think it's silly to think hearing people cheering for game will cause you to get more interested in it, but meh.

TheLastStarFighter said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
the_dengle said:

The NDC was a lag fest. Conferences are not. The resolution was so poor and video so choppy that I honestly thought 3DWorld was a 3DS game, and I was angry when it wasn't. Not the reaction you want.

They're going to get these kinds of reactions no matter what they do!