By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Store slashes the price of Xbox One to $449.99 USD

bouzane said:
DJEVOLVE said:
petroleo said:
Sorry MS still not buying it, that thing should cost at least 100 less than the PS4, the hardware design and games that it current has it absolutely does not compensate the 450 price tag.

Completely ignores Kinect....

No offense but Kinect is part of the problem. I won't be buying an XBOne until it is released without Kinect.

I really think the people claiming that there needs to be a X1 without kinect/ a wii-u without the tablet controller needed to play it or a ps4 model without the lights on the controllers are just trying to come up with little reasons not to get it, If MS brings the price down to below the Ps4 and the Kinect is still in the box you can just leave it there, the system doesn't need it to power up now and you would just have it on the off chance a cool sounding game came out for it that you would consider playing.

Always better to have the option of playing all the games for the system.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

Makes you wonder in regards to the February NPD results.

Did it really sell 258k or was it an adjustment from the lower January numbers?

If it did in fact sell 258k I don't see why they would be dropping the price. Unless they just want more marketshare?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:

If it did in fact sell 258k I don't see why they would be dropping the price.

I think they're just learning fast what it took Sony to realize far later with the ps3, gamers just don't have 500euros to drop on a system where they'll need another 150 to buy 2 games and get online... it's just too much money.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

BenVTrigger said:
Normchacho said:
I was talking to a rather smug GameStop employee not long ago who assured me that the price on the Xbox One wouldn't go down until AT LEAST the middle of 2015 because of how well it was selling. Which was pretty amusing then, and is very amusing now.

To be fair the Xbox One actually has sold pretty amazing when compared to the launches of other consoles.

The main difference maker here is PS4 absolutly crushing right now.  Its forcing MS to act and act quick, which honestly is damn good news for consumers. This is why competition is always such a good thing, and why I'm extremly thankful there's multiple console manufacturers.

It had a great 2013. But it's struggled to continue that success. So far in 2014 it has failed to sell as well as either the PS3 or 360 did in there first January or February and even though MS is giving it everything they've got March isn't looking all that much better.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

One thing is consistent here on VGChartz.... Lots of opinions.

There seems to be 2 thoughts that come out of this thread so far:
1. Microsoft is panicked/scared
2. The Xb1 is still not worth the $450 even with a game.

Seeing as how everyone else is sharing their OPINION, I can't be any more wrong than them.

My theory is that M$ is not scared at all. They are making a simple tactical move to enhance the value proposition of their product in the marketplace. They recognize that even with a very successful launch, the even much better launch of the PS4 has created enough media and internet attention has swayed the publics perception of the XB1. They are closing the gap on price to reduce that as a factor in the buying decision of the consumer. M$ knows like most everyone here that they can't concede significant market share to Sony in the US and UK. I still think they really had no plan to launch this last fall, but were forced to go to not get too far behind the PS4. I think it worked in the US and UK. They will launch in other countries this fall and see the same middling sales as in previous generations.

As far as people saying the XB1 has no value at $450? That is rather absurd at this point. Clearly, the XB1($450 - the $60 game included) with Kinect in the box at essentially the same price as the PS4 is a equal if not better value. Of course, the naysayers will exclaim that "I don't want Kinect!". Funny how the PS4 camera is such a hot seller then??? That's the same as someone saying "I don't want a funny light on my controller, so it's not worth it!". Not every feature in or on a system will be used by all or even the majority. That doesn't take away that capability or function or the technical cost of having it. Clearly, this argument comes from the sheer shock that M$ has already essentially price matched the PS4 in 4 short months.

All of these things might help the XB1's sales a bit, but my thoughts are that the Mindshare is already in Sony's corner. It will be hard for M$ to do anything short of another additional $100 price drop right now to turn the tide. M$ can't just order up 4-5 great games to come out sooner to add to the already bigger retail lineup. They can spend more on advertising and maybe buy a couple dozen indie titles to gain something to give for games with gold. But, we will have to wait and see.

It is near the end of the end....

Around the Network

I figured they'd wait for E3 to make a splash. If they are at $450 now I could see them at $400 by the holidays then.

Never mind

BenVTrigger said:
Titanfall effect is over.

Xbox One dropping momentum big time.

PS4 still sold out.

MS needs to figure out something fast. Its not the end of the world as I still think the One has been and will be successful, but NA is their stronghold and its losing ground still to PS4.

Official price cut should happen immediately and significant games need to be announced.

Careful.  Some might take your comments as trolling...

Who cares its good for consumers original xbox dropped hard cause SONY dropped PS2 price to kill MS. MS had no choice. Still 25 million 1st gen for MS not bad, 80 plus million 2nd gen and a huge online community. they need to start making positive moves and I for one think a price cut was in order. I think a kinnectless X1 at $350.00 is a dominating move in US. at voice commands like sony via microphone or headset.

Euphoria14 said:

If it did in fact sell 258k I don't see why they would be dropping the price. Unless they just want more marketshare?

my guess more marketshare, slow down the gap between PS4 vs XB and surf the momentum they build with every big title till Xmas.... I wouldn't be surprised to see a second price drop for the european launch if this one is permanent or a 100 bucks slashed price if the price goes back to 500 after this temporary discount...