By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Infamous: Second Son is amazing. A beautiful and infectiously fun stunner. 9.5 out of 10

In a old school magazine called "Game Pro" there used to be a rating given to games called "Fun Factor". As a kid growing up this used to be the most important rating to me (along wit graphics) because if this rating was high it assured me that the gameplay whether simplistic or complicated was ultimately a hell of a lot of fun. And that's really the point right? Over the years as the power of consoles have exploded to astronomical heights games have taken a more and more complex approach to gameplay an strategy sometimes enhancing "fun factor" but lot of times in spite of it. I'm no gamer that doesn't like a challenge either. I play complex games from jrpgs to fighters to deep simulations like NBA 2K (and not just play em. I'm damn good at them). But complexity just for complexity's sake is not a good gaming experience. Sometimes a simplistic but addictive game can be the most rewarding. Think all the original Nintendo classics. 

It is with that that I say, Infamous Second Son is a exuberant return to good old days of unadulterated FUN FACTOR. Pick up the controller and have an absolute blast. LITERALLY. A gorgeous, stunning, simply beautiful blast at that. Zipping around the lush and luxurious Seattle landscape wit Delsin creating havoc is some of the most insanely addictive arbitrary fun I have ever had in a video game. Close to but just short of my jubilation of scouring Gotham as Batman in Arkham City. It's remarkably fun and so so addictive. I don't care how many times I use endless speed with Neon to make a non stop trip from one end of the map to the other or how many times I see those beautiful wing from my Video power: IT WILL NEVER GET OLD. Neither will the super moves. 

A big part of the reason it's so fun is Delsin himself. A instantly likeable rebel who is having just as much fun as you are wreaking havoc on the DUPes. I was NOT a fan of the original Infamous games. Cole and the world just did not connect wit me enough to want to finish them. Suffice it to say, I beat Infamous my SECOND (pun not intended but obvious) day wit the game. I could not put it down. The story is good albeit short. And all of the characters are likeable and well voice acted. I really wish Fetch had more to do but Sucker Punch did a great job establishing the brotherly relationship between Delsin and Reggie and understand why they chose to focus on their story. FETCH better return tho! She is a very interesting character and a change of pace for female characters in video games. 

But other than that Infamous is a remarkable experience. It's the best looking game ever made, it has an great protagonist at the center, and addictive gameplay. The reviews to this game baffle me. This is without question the best next gen game released so far. And it's not even close. GET THIS GAME! 

Around the Network
Gamer_of_the_Year said:

In a old school magazine called "Game Pro" there used to be a rating given to games called "Fun Factor". 

God I miss Game Pro..."fun Factor" should be a metric in every review.

Anyways, I can't wait to try Second Son as I really, really liked the first two InFAMOUS games.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Fun wise SS is beyond brilliant. I got a few hours to play it yesterday and it was the most fun I've had since this gen started. Sadly, the shallow side quest and morality system are still about same as the previous games (the most common complaint by reviewers), but gameplay wise it's nothing but improved over the last two. If you enjoyed either of them, then i can't recommend SS enough.

Also, mandatory "dem graphics".

Agreed about the "fun factor" aspect of gaming... so many big hyped games nowadays get high scores but they sometimes feel like a chore to play through, and you find yourself pushing on simply to justify that $60 purchase you just made.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

I´m loving it.The effects of those neon powers, especially the neon running, are amazing.

Around the Network
Gamer_of_the_Year said:

In a old school magazine called "Game Pro" there used to be a rating given to games called "Fun Factor". As a kid growing up this used to be the most important rating to me (along wit graphics) because if this rating was high it assured me that the gameplay whether simplistic or complicated was ultimately a hell of a lot of fun. And that's really the point right? Over the years as the power of consoles have exploded to astronomical heights games have taken a more and more complex approach to gameplay an strategy sometimes enhancing "fun factor" but lot of times in spite of it. I'm no gamer that doesn't like a challenge either. I play complex games from jrpgs to fighters to deep simulations like NBA 2K (and not just play em. I'm damn good at them). But complexity just for complexity's sake is not a good gaming experience. Sometimes a simplistic but addictive game can be the most rewarding. Think all the original Nintendo classics. 

It is with that that I say, Infamous Second Son is a exuberant return to good old days of unadulterated FUN FACTOR. Pick up the controller and have an absolute blast. LITERALLY. A gorgeous, stunning, simply beautiful blast at that. Zipping around the lush and luxurious Seattle landscape wit Delsin creating havoc is some of the most insanely addictive arbitrary fun I have ever had in a video game. Close to but just short of my jubilation of scouring Gotham as Batman in Arkham City. It's remarkably fun and so so addictive. I don't care how many times I use endless speed with Neon to make a non stop trip from one end of the map to the other or how many times I see those beautiful wing from my Video power: IT WILL NEVER GET OLD. Neither will the super moves. 

A big part of the reason it's so fun is Delsin himself. A instantly likeable rebel who is having just as much fun as you are wreaking havoc on the DUPes. I was NOT a fan of the original Infamous games. Cole and the world just did not connect wit me enough to want to finish them. Suffice it to say, I beat Infamous my SECOND (pun not intended but obvious) day wit the game. I could not put it down. The story is good albeit short. And all of the characters are likeable and well voice acted. I really wish Fetch had more to do but Sucker Punch did a great job establishing the brotherly relationship between Delsin and Reggie and understand why they chose to focus on their story. FETCH better return tho! She is a very interesting character and a change of pace for female characters in video games. 

But other than that Infamous is a remarkable experience. It's the best looking game ever made, it has an great protagonist at the center, and addictive gameplay. The reviews to this game baffle me. This is without question the best next gen game released so far. And it's not even close. GET THIS GAME! 

Any game that can make you feel like a bad-ass super hero is a game worth buying, it's why infamous/batman has done so well and why spiderman just about makes it(not really)

inFamous: Second Son continues the trend and is worthy of bad-ass mofo game of the year

wouldnt take much to be the most fun on ps4 since the pickings are slim. i never was a fan of infamous. flashing particles dont make a game fun. i think they were actually appealing to teen girls with all the pink and powderblue streamers. watching on twitch i was bored. for me its just a free ps plus game at best.

tres said:
wouldnt take much to be the most fun on ps4 since the pickings are slim. i never was a fan of infamous. flashing particles dont make a game fun. i think they were actually appealing to teen girls with all the pink and powderblue streamers. watching on twitch i was bored. for me its just a free ps plus game at best.

Lul here we go again. I watched dis game on twitch and it was baaad.

Far and away the best game so far in the 8th gen

tres said:

No one is claiming particle effects make the game fun. Don't be a dick.

Also, games tend to be more fun when played not watched. I don't think I've ever had "fun" watching gameplay footage.