By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is $60 too much?

$60 too much?

Yes 90 57.69%

No 57 36.54%

10-4 good buddy 9 5.77%

Total:156

It's not as bad as it used to be before ... If anything increasing the price might be a good idea if games can offer me more quality.

(I know the thought of it is sacreligious but bring it on if you have anything against the idea!)

Around the Network

I wish ps4/bone games were $60 in some/many european countries ...
its 70€ here which is ~$97

last gen games were 60€ and I thought sony/ms said that they wont increase the game prices ... well was for the US only maybe :(
someone has to pay the difference in price the US is getting ...

Few games offer $60 worth of value, in my opinion. That my be the amount the company needs to charge to break even or make a profit on it, but it's rarely what I think it's worth.

If we actually got the full games, maybe. but sadly, it takes much more than that to get the full package.

Generally, I'll pay full price for Nintendo games, because those rarely go down in price. Otherwise, I usually won't unless it's a game I REALLY want to play. The last non-Nintendo game I bought at full price was Bioshock infinite, and I should have really waited on that.

Around the Network

Yes, that's why I wait for steam sales and humble bundles.

I love reading threads of Americans complaining about prices on entertainment. You guys are lucky everything is much cheaper.

Shadow1980 said:

New games are the least expensive they've ever been:

(*snip*)

Even if they were to go up to $70, they'd still be about the same as a PS3 launch title. Also, even if you factor in, say, $30 of DLC (which is totally optional), you're still talking about paying as much as you'd pay for some of the cheaper SNES and Genesis games. Also, games typically offer vastly more content than games in the early 90s did. And besides, you do have the option of waiting for the MSRP to drop or to shop around and find the game at a lower price.

People who complaing about paying $60 for a new game have absolutely no historical perspective.

While all this is true, remember that the valuation of entertainment as a whole has changed dramatically. If we go back to the early 90's a CD or VHS tape would be priced at £17.99 and £24.99 respectively (that's $30 and $42) and wouldn't have a price drop until they where at least a year old. That would be for a single album or film. Hell I remember back when video rental stores where a big thing because for £6.50 (that's $11) you could rent any 2 films for 2 nights, and that was a damn good deal back then. Now you can get entire unlimited streaming libraries on Spotify or Netflix for less than £6 (about $10) per month, and a CD or a DVD can cost you as little as £3.99 (that's $6.60) new, less than six months after release. Even a newly released blu-ray is around £10 (that's $16.50), (I bough Pacific Rim for my Dad's birthday last month for that price and it'd been out maybe 5 weeks). Now granted I'm using UK prices here, so it may be different in USA and other parts of the world but I can't imagine it'd be much different.

Just because games where prohibatively expensive back in the 90's doesn't mean their value remains static. In a world of mass media, every peice of media is worth far less now... that's why used PS3 games are cheaper now than used Mega Drive games online, because they simply cannot keep their value and compete, unless they become a collectable, (thanks for that Nintendo, you bastards).

When you start moaning about price then you know you're starting to get old. Inflation is the main cause for higher prices. $60 now is equal to about $75 10 years ago. Price goes up.

Lets be honest here... 60 euros, and this is to level somewhat closer to the US market cause in europe they are trying to go for 70 euros now, is way too much.

In the US, you can probably deal with an increase to 70 given the living conditions, but games in europe cost a fortune for the cost of living. Its an incredibly expensive good.

At 70 its absolutely impossible that i will buy a game at launch. At 45-50 i will consider it. But usually i only buy at 40 and below.
I know development costs are high, but something needs to change because with the global crisis the buying power of consumers is beeing reduced and its increasingly more difficult to justify spending such high ammounts of money on games.
I really think they need to make cuts on the production and advertisement budgets to lowers the prices (and lets be honest, to lower their risks too). There is a limit to how much the market can support.