By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is $60 too much?

$60 too much?

Yes 90 57.69%

No 57 36.54%

10-4 good buddy 9 5.77%

Total:156

While I wait for most games to drop to $30 or less before I purchase them, video games are more affordable than ever. If you grew up with the NES, SNES, etc, remember back then when NES games were $60, SNES games were $70-$80? Back then the minimum wage was around $5 or so and everything was much cheaper, but games were very high priced. Video games were only $50 from when PSX released to PS2. N64 was $60+.

Now, minimum wage in the US is $7 in most areas and the price of everything has increased. Video games are $60, less than they were back when the SNES and N64 were new.

Just think about how much it costs just to eat out at a restaurant. $10 minimum and that's if the place is really cheap. Most good restaurants you'll probably pay $20 per person, and then some more expensive ones you can pay more than that for a single meal.

Go out to drink? You'll probably pay $10 just for a few drinks. Movie tickets average $10, etc. So for video games, you pay one amount and you own the game permanently, but you eat out three to six times, go to six movies, go out and drink once or twice, etc, and you're already out of $60.

Or how much do kids toys cost now days. Most cheap plastic toys cost $20 or so..

Video games are an incredibly cheap form of entertainment that you'll actually get your moneys worth out of it. The only thing as cheap as video games and you'll get your moneys worth buying day one is probably books.

The difference now days compared to back then is you have information to help you on what games you might like. You have review sites, but now you have places like Youtube where there's a full playthrough of about just any game a week after it releases.

Around the Network

nah! 2676554147422258655474455578873386579994688558946333 is too much

Games have been $40-$60 dollars for three decades now. Meanwhile, I have watched cinema tickets triple from $3-$4 to $9-$12 in same time frame. Tickets to events such as concerts and sports seem to go up $1 every year or so now that $30-$40 is normal, much less theatre and opera that can easily surpass $100 for an evening.

If anything games are becoming a better value than they were when I was a kid. I am surprised rumors of $70 have not started, but I guess DLC is sort of that.

No. $60 is not to much for most games. Game studios and publishers have to make money. Look at all the developers that have closed up shop in the last few years. It's terrible. If things don't change, we will only have a handful of 3rd parties left. Leaving little choice of what games we get to play.

Gaming is the best value for your entertainment dollar by far. Where else can you potentially get 50+ hours of entertainment for $60? If you buy a game on release and are finished with it in a month, you can generally sell it for $40+ still. So $20 to play a brand new game...sounds pretty good to me.

And if you don't want to pay full price at release, all you have to do is wait a few months.

Hundreds of workers wanna be paid for work they did for 3 or 5 years. Publishers and developers invest millions of dollars in the production of a game because everyone wants more and more.

No. 60 aren't to much.

I don't hate Microsoft, I don't hate PC,
I don't prefer Sony, I don't prefer Nintendo.
...Ok, I love Nintendo but this is something about tolerance, ok?

I'm a gamer with one of the greatest hobbies and I want to share this greatness with everyone.

Around the Network

Lulz, for 60 $ I would buy games like there's no tomorrow. But I have to pay 70 €, which is waaaaay too much for most games. For Battlefield 4 it was ok, because I'm still playing it.

Just for reference 70 € are about 100 $ right now.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

It really is not that bad compared to previous gens. I remember paying almost $100 Canadian for games in the N64 era.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Hell yes it's too much... and considering in the UK games are releasing at £54.95 (that's $90), you can consider yourselves lucky over in USA, but I still think it's too much. $60 is about £37, which is about what Wii U and 3DS games release at (usually £35.99), but other consoles routinely release at £45+ with a few key games (namely the last two Call Of Duty games and GTA V) releasing at £54.95. The average collector's edition runs us £80+ (that's $132), and now you can see we're into ridiculous plus stupid pricing.

Honestly I'd be happy for people to switch to a standard 6-10 hour game with a reduced budget if it meant games where £15 at release. Take GTA 4 as a perfect example. I would have happily bought Ballad Of Gay Tony and The Lost & The Damned as separate games in their own right. I think, shorter, more focused, cheaper games are the way forward... though not Ground Zeroes short. If it takes me longer to have a shit than it does to finish your game, it's too fucking short.

But yeah, price wise, I almost never spend more than £20 ($33) on a game so prices going up and up are simply pricing me and other gamers like me out of the market and forcing me to buy second hand. Publishers say they don't make enough money so have to raise prices but I bet if they lowered prices they'd make up the difference in sales. Imagine if any one publisher started putting out games at say $35 for new releases. Compared to their competition they're a bargain, consumers would snap them up and it'll take a massive chunk out of the used market as people who couldn't previously buy new now can.

$60 would be a dream if does prices where over here in Sweden :(. We normalt pay $90 for a new game and if you find a new game for let's say $70 it would be a BARGAIN. Heck gamestop sometimes ask for $110 for a new game.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1# Official Playstation Vita Thread! Come in and join!!!

kivi95 said:
$60 would be a dream if does prices was over here in Sweden :(. We normalt pay $90 for a new game and if you find a new game for let's say $70 it would be a BARGAIN.

Ok 

whatever regular launch price is where you live lol

Didn't only mean 60 us dollars