By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is $60 too much?

$60 too much?

Yes 90 57.69%

No 57 36.54%

10-4 good buddy 9 5.77%

Total:156

Yes, it should be $50.

Around the Network

60 is the absolute max i would pay for a game today.
And i say today cause i bought plenty of N64 games at launch. I paid 75$ for Turok 2 and Mistical ninja back in the day lol...

Subie_Greg said:

Just asking the question. I know it's been discussed before.

And I am not asking whether you want games to be cheaper because you can't afford 6 games at $60 a pop. Or if you prefer to spend $40 rather then $60 (who wouldn't lol). 

I am asking if $60 is the right asking price for most of the games you've bought recently

Example. I bought Tomb Raider for PS4. Didn't play Tomb Raider on PS3. Drought in PS4 games since launch. So I bought it. Really liked the game. Lara did a bunch of cool shit. Raiding tombs was cool. The entire world was neat. Gameplay and everything else was fun

But... not sure it was worth $60

Now $49.99, yeah... max

And looking at Infamous that I am currently playing. So far, really cool and glad I bought it and all. But $40-$50 would be a better price range for the game imo

GTA 5 was the last game I paid $60 for and felt I got 100% my moneys worth 

Again, just asking if $60 is the right price range for most games. Not if you rather pay $50 lol

I agree 100%. $60 should be the max price for a game, not the standard. GTAV, definitely $60, that was worth every penny. But I think a lot of games would be more fairly priced at 40 or 50. Most people aren't stingy over a few dollars t that price thought,, so I doubt it's going to ever change. 

kivi95 said:

$60 would be a dream if does prices where over here in Sweden :(. We normalt pay $90 for a new game and if you find a new game for let's say $70 it would be a BARGAIN. Heck gamestop sometimes ask for $110 for a new game.

Gamestop even asks over 40€ / $55 for used games! If that's not robbery, I don't know what is...

PS2|Wii|DS lite|3DS XL|PSP|Android

Xen said:
I pay no more than $25 for anything that isn't a nice LE/SE.

So yes. It's absolutely too much, unless the game is FFX-3 or something.

There is no FFX-3 ??

Surely you can't be talking about FF13-3 cause that ain't worth more then 5 bucks

Around the Network
Viltgance said:
Xen said:
I pay no more than $25 for anything that isn't a nice LE/SE.

So yes. It's absolutely too much, unless the game is FFX-3 or something.

There is no FFX-3 ??

Surely you can't be talking about FF13-3 cause that ain't worth more then 5 bucks

FFX-3? Only a rumor at this point.

Naturally, I am not talking about FF13 anything

I think it is fair for a lot of games. There are only a few games I buy at full price, but there is usually a reason why I buy them (fan of the series, developer, etc.). Most of the games I buy come from sales, which sometimes occur just a few months after the launch of the game. Ever since disk-based games became the preffered format, games have been increasing $10 each generation until this one. When you consider inflation and increasing game budgets, gaming has stayed relatively cheap.

RustyShakleford said:
I think it is fair for a lot of games. There are only a few games I buy at full price, but there is usually a reason why I buy them (fan of the series, developer, etc.). Most of the games I buy come from sales, which sometimes occur just a few months after the launch of the game. Ever since disk-based games became the preffered format, games have been increasing $10 each generation until this one. When you consider inflation and increasing game budgets, gaming has stayed relatively cheap.

The problem is, whilst gaming may have increased quite reasonably relative to inflation, cost of living has increased more than inflation and minimum wage is lagging behind inflation, as is welfare totals. People have less money and things cost more, as such a luxury item (and let's face it, all games are luxury items), that cost the same now as they did 20 years ago, feels like it costs more because they money is simply harder to come by.

Unfortunately we will be paying $70 for games here.
Only a few games are worth that much.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

It is too much as an standard, almost every game starts at 60 U$ even though the length and quality of the title is not the best and I think that hurts some games that could get away with selling at 40 U$ from launch and make a bigger impact in numbers the first few weeks.

The problem with defining a lower price point is that the consumer then dismiss the game because "is cheaper, so it must be bad" and that the publisher will like to sell as many copies as possible at 60 to recover its money faster.