By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why such a huge gap in quality between Playstation and Xbox exclusives?

sales2099 said:
TheBlackNaruto said:
sales2099 said:

I wouldn't count out XBLA. It consistently delievered more numerically and critically every year. Basically where MS couldn't sustain the AAA retail effort, they focused resources on XBLA instead. Shame they were largely overlooked by the larger gaming community because Sony was still releasing more AAA retail in the last few years.

See THIS is the Sales I know and respect. THe guy who consistently shot down this argument all the time. While Sony may have had more/better rated RETAIL exclusives when you count EVERYTHING the system had to ffer( which you should obiviously even though people tend not to do so just to fit their agendas) the 360 had a better library than the PS3 as far as Metacritic ratings went.ANd even though I prefered the games on the PS3 more so than the 360 this FACT can not be denied. PS3 sure more RETAIl games and higher rated but as far as overall the 360 had more and better rated when XBLA is accounted for.

Now this is why in that other thread I had wrote you taht reply because you were leaving the indies and downlaodable/free titles on the PS4 out when you made sure to include them when debating the 360/PS3. And I was confused like man he can't just switch like that he should stick to his guns and ride it out! So when EVERYTHING the systems have to offer are taken in to consideration RIGHT NOW the PS4 and XB1 are basically tied on the games front. Maybe SLIGHTLY leanign towards the PS4 thanks to indies...

I can't stand the "cherry picking" of the VGC community at times(not you personally sales just kind of quoted you lol). Things only apply when it fits "agendas" that is so annoying for me personally. And the consistent bashing, bickering and console wars are no better my goodness folks...get a grip lol.

I am personally torn between my old principles that all games matter and adapting to the masses where people put the "allmighty retail AAA exclusive" above all else, especially indies. So apologies if you see me sway back and forth lol.

LOL fight the urge man...don't sink to the levels of others!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Around the Network

X360 is only most popular in NA

NA is the shooter market. The shooter market mostly plays the 3rd party AAA games like CoD, Battlefield, and more. The MS exclusives were substantial and very successful in the shooter space (Halo & Gears)

PS3 most popular in EU

EU market likes games with stories or with creative art styles. Games like Journey, Unfinished Swan, and even Uncharted and Last of Us do extremely well in EU market. These games also do well in other territories, but best performance in EU.

Japan really only cares about 3DS and Mobile gaming lately. But it also cares about JRPGs so the PS3 does better than X360 over there (by a lot).

PS3 has wider breath of games, more quality games, but it didn't start that way. Also the X360 online services including party chat kept it as the preferred console of choice for online games for long time.

Party Chat was more important to gamers than free PSN online.

cusman said:
X360 is only most popular in NA

NA is the shooter market. The shooter market mostly plays the 3rd party AAA games like CoD, Battlefield, and more. The MS exclusives were substantial and very successful in the shooter space (Halo & Gears)

PS3 most popular in EU

EU market likes games with stories or with creative art styles. Games like Journey, Unfinished Swan, and even Uncharted and Last of Us do extremely well in EU market. These games also do well in other territories, but best performance in EU.

Why do you think NA is the "shooter" market and EU the "creative" one? Where's the proof for that?

Zax said:

1. Anybody saying something is better than something else is always an opinion so why would I have to specifically point out it's people's opinions? You can't prove to me that The Last of Us is better than Big Rigs as a fact either.

2. All that matters is that to the majority of players they think more highly of PS3 exclusives than Xbox exclusives as do critics.

3. These to groups have decided that several PS3 exclusives were some of the best games of their year and the same groups rarely think the same about Xbox exclusives.

4. They "cater" more because people much prefer them because they are usually better.

1. So you acknowledge that this apparent "gap in quality" is merely the arbitrary dispostions of various persons. This is good. Progress is being made. This makes the answer to your question more easy to answer. The reason there's an apparent "huge gap in quality" is because you and other gamers simply prefer Playstation exclusives. That's fine. You have your tastes and other gamers have their own. There's no reason to assume that Playstation games are, on their own, better than Xbox exclusives.

2. Actually, this is false. Last generation, 360 exclusives tended to sell more than PS3 exclusives. Using that fact, we can assume that the majority of gamers actually think more highly 360 exclusives. I'm surprised you made this assumption, since the very website you're on can show this. But even if your assertion were true, I don't see why this would matter at all.

3. Let's ignore the blatant falsity of this statement and assume you are right. So what? Why should anyone care about what a particular group of gamers believe over any other particular group of gamers? I'm not sure why you think this is a significant point.

4. Okay, now you're confusing me. In point 1, you acknolwedge that one group's disposition of gaming quality is merely opinion. That's fine. But here you say that one group's disposition of gaming quality somehow implies that those games "are usually better." I'm not really sure what your stance is. Anyway, if you believe what you stated in point 4, then you are actually wrong. Just because certain games cater to a select group of gamers does not imply that they are usually better.

So yeah, almost everything you've stated in this post has been completely devoid of any truth.

Wright said:
Zax said:
Wright said:
Zax said:

I said Heavy Rain.

Best stealth edit I've ever seen in my life.

What the hell are you talking about? Why would I mention Heavenly Sword when I was talking about their variety and had already mentioned God of war? Heavy Rain was different which is why I mentioned that.

Maybe you should pay attention next time because I wasn't hating on Crackdown either.

Reading comprehension fail much.

Obviously I exaggerated the hatin' bit, but still. I found hilarious that part.

You wrote Heavenly Rain and went and edit it to put Heavy Rain. It's not my fault that you wrote it wrong and lead to confusion. In fact, you could have admitted as much.

And don't deny it, because a user quoted your message and we can read it without your stealth edit.

Wait so you're saying that I did infact write Heavenly Rain (Obviously a typo for Heavy Rain) but then you went on to say i said Heavenly Sword despite this for what reason if you knew that wasn't what I said?

Combined with the fact that I also wasn't hating on Crackdown and just said it didn't take off then also like I said.

Reading comprehension fail.

Around the Network
fps_d0minat0r said:
sales2099 said:

I am personally torn between my old principles that all games matter and adapting to the masses where people put the "allmighty retail AAA exclusive" above all else, especially indies. So apologies if you see me sway back and forth lol.

you sway back of forth to suit your argument.

Remember yesterday when I named you 2 PS3 games not on XB1 (in reply to the 2 you mentioned which were not on PS3), and you claimed titanfall was bigger so it meant more?

But now you are talking about how smaller games get overlooked... LOL

Well that said both fan groups do that. Only now with PS fans do indie games matter. Funny.

You could say I handle it on a case by case basis. Combining the reality that AAA retail are considered more relevant (I have your kind to thank for that), combined with my love for XBLA.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

The gap would be MUCH smaller if Rare would start making good games again.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Zax said:

Wait so you're saying that I did infact write Heavenly Rain (Obviously a typo for Heavy Rain) but then you went on to say i said Heavenly Sword despite this for what reason if you knew that wasn't what I said?

Combined with the fact that I also wasn't hating on Crackdown and just said it didn't take off then also like I said.

Reading comprehension fail.

Obviously I misread Heavenly Sword. Just found out what you really write after I checked one quote another user do. In fact, there's even another user who also misread it as Heavenly Sword.

You went and edit it and didn't mention anything about it. It is still the best stealth edit I've ever seen here.

And yes, Crackdown hatin' is Crackdown hatin'. I explained why I said so, but you keep on going with the Reading Comprehension Fail ending comment. Good work :P

HEMSTAR said:
Galbatorix9 said:
Zax said:

With how similar both consoles are in so many ways and how both consoles seem to get 90% of the same games it's always striked me as odd how there is such a drastic difference in quality and amount of excluisves between the Playstation and the Xbox.

It's not even the case that it's Japan's involvement that's what's doing it because even without them it'd still be the same.

The PS3 saw several exclusive games win many notable GOTY awards. MGS4, Uncharted 2, Little Big Planet, The Last of Us, Journey for example. That can not really be said for Xbox. Sure there was a time when Mass Effect 2 and maybe Bioshock recieved such acclaim but they ended up on PS3 aswell.

Three PS3 exclusives won GOTY on Gamespot but none for Xbox. The same can be said for IGN. This is the case amongst both the editors picks and the readers picks with the one exception that Gears of War did win.

Compare the PS360 metacritic scores.

There are 12 games for PS3 that scored over 90 not including HD collections. Xbox only has 7. If I were to include the games over 80 it'd be even bigger.

Also the huge amount of variety compared to the Xbox is staggering.

Heavenly Rain, Ratchet and Clank, Gran Turismo, Yakuza, Infamous, Killzone, Ni No Kuni, Tales etc

Xbox has had some but most never catch on like Crackdown.

I just it pretty odd seeing as how Xbox is just as popular and it's been around so long now.

did you know that of the three companies sony has the lowest average score on metacritic, with nintendo being number 1? Pls dont hate on microsoft. 

Cause Sony takes more risks with new ip's.

LOL? Small devs take risks and when it pays out at least a little bit sony buys the studio  thats whats going on.

both have great exclusives , but I prefer PS's exclusives much more .
It's a matter of opinions , halo is not my type of games while UC2 , TLOU and GOW 1 among my favorite games of all time .
sooooooo subjectively PS exclusives > XB exclusives .
I can see why some people say otherwise .