By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Gay Arkansas student says his profile was pulled from yearbook

Do you think it's a big deal if a single person comes out?

Yes 19 12.75%

No 109 73.15%

In my community it would be. 9 6.04%

Maybe. 7 4.70%

Other (in comments) 5 3.36%

Total:149
Zappykins said:
HappyLion said:
Kasz216 said:
Although it is worth noting the story has taken a depressing turn for the worse.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/03/20/classmates-and-teacher-harass-gay-arkansas-high-school-student-after-yearbook-dispute/

That's sp upsetting. He orginally said he had so much support from his fellow classmates and now they are turning on him :(. 

This is a by product of the refusal by the school refusing to run the story, and thus it get interprited as 'endorcing homphobia.'  Any endorcement or refusal has more sway than people realize.  For example, but the US Supreme Court throughing out parts of anti gay DOMA and Prop 8 it has helped gay right not only in the USA, but also of the rest of the world.

Yes, it has given the school a bad name - but blaiming the kid is wrong, should be blaiming the staff that made the decision.

And as far as religion.  I don't think I have seen a single anti-gay person (save one here who claims to be an athiest) on VGC that hasn't justified it by Christiany.  But it also shows they do not understand the bases of their religion very well.

Funny indeed, considering Jesus ran around the desert with 12 other guys and one woman. 

I guess you haven't run into any of our local russians yet.

Or our local evolutionary psychologists/biologists.

Around the Network

The world has a dwindling resource stock and we're asking for more and more luxuries from it every day. I'm not a tree hugger, but I think that reducing the birth rate a little would go a long ways in helping us prolong our existence as a species. Why the hell not let gays be gays, and let people use birth control, and so on and so forth. Its a harmless way of lowering the human population, completely guilt free.

Not to mention we have orphan children all over the world being stuffed into institutions no different than prisons and often death camps. Why not let the gays adopt those kids and so what if the resulting kids turn gay. It solves two problems at once.

The only reason anyone even cares about the birth rate is because it increases one governments supposed power over all the other governments. It's not like we actually have job vacancies for all these people....

DarkD said:
The world has a dwindling resource stock and we're asking for more and more luxuries from it every day. I'm not a tree hugger, but I think that reducing the birth rate a little would go a long ways in helping us prolong our existence as a species. Why the hell not let gays be gays, and let people use birth control, and so on and so forth. Its a harmless way of lowering the human population, completely guilt free.

Not to mention we have orphan children all over the world being stuffed into institutions no different than prisons and often death camps. Why not let the gays adopt those kids and so what if the resulting kids turn gay. It solves two problems at once.

The only reason anyone even cares about the birth rate is because it increases one governments supposed power over all the other governments. It's not like we actually have job vacancies for all these people....

I completly agree with you, and I take it one step further. While in many ways I think I would be called 'liberal' like Harriet Beecher Stowe and Thomas Jefferson, I am a big supporter of adoptions for all infertile couples. I don't understand why people go to surrogates when there are so many kids than need homes. I think ALL infertile couples, hetero or homero should adopt needy children before we need to create any more humans.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Kasz216 said:
Zappykins said:
HappyLion said:

That's sp upsetting. He orginally said he had so much support from his fellow classmates and now they are turning on him :(. 

This is a by product of the refusal by the school refusing to run the story, and thus it get interprited as 'endorcing homphobia.'  Any endorcement or refusal has more sway than people realize.  For example, but the US Supreme Court throughing out parts of anti gay DOMA and Prop 8 it has helped gay right not only in the USA, but also of the rest of the world.

Yes, it has given the school a bad name - but blaiming the kid is wrong, should be blaiming the staff that made the decision.

And as far as religion.  I don't think I have seen a single anti-gay person (save one here who claims to be an athiest) on VGC that hasn't justified it by Christiany.  But it also shows they do not understand the bases of their religion very well.

Funny indeed, considering Jesus ran around the desert with 12 other guys and one woman. 

I guess you haven't run into any of our local russians yet.

Or our local evolutionary psychologists/biologists.

Oh, are we neighbors?  Most of the Russian I know around me are all very supportive of Same Sex Marriage and gay rights. 

Or do you mean a VGC person, who has some well, issues.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Kasz216 said:
bouzane said:
Kasz216 said:
Although it is worth noting the story has taken a depressing turn for the worse.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/03/20/classmates-and-teacher-harass-gay-arkansas-high-school-student-after-yearbook-dispute/

Not surprised to see the "Christians" judging and treating others gracelessly. Disgusting, ugly wastes of clay. Also, LOL at the Adam and Eve comments, that nonsense has been tossed around and revised so many times it's ridiculous. An inconsistent story even by the standards of the Abrahamic religions.

Adam and Eve?  Not sure where that's from.

Outside which, i'm not sure i'd consider it safe to assume the kids are even christian.

Homophobia in schools is generally a widespread occurence that has nothing to do with religion.

Or at least, not the religion practiced.

As most kids are homophobic and pretty much none of them care about religon...  past how it might ruin their weekend if their parents drag them to church

Aside from kids' tendencies to latch onto anything they perceive as weird, that homophobia has to come from somewhere. If they were taught in schools that it was just as tolerable as being of another race, there would be less of an issue with it (though negative norms from the home would still seep through)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
DarkD said:
 Why the hell not let gays be gays, and let people use birth control, and so on and so forth. Its a harmless way of lowering the human population, completely guilt free.

You can't stop people who are gay from being gay, just like you can't stop someone who is straight, from being straight... Or  a poodle from being a dog.
That's the cusp of the issue at hand here.

If you go back over the centuries, we had women fighing for womens rights, then those of non-caucasion descent fighting for their rights too, just happens that America and a majority of the free world *still* don't allow for equal rights for everyone, despite hammoring about all their freedoms to other nations.

Kasz216 said:

Sikhism, Hinduism, and Buddism all have their own anti-gay messages...  The common arguement is that despite a majority of Hindu and Buddist people against gay marriage they don't speak for all groups, though the same goes for Christians, as not all Christian Churches consider homosexuality a sin.

I've often heard people use the bible as an argument and more often than not use the line from Leviticus about a man laying with a man as it lays with a woman.
However, they take it out of context, back in those times men "owned" woman (Either husband, father etc'), like property, Leviticus was all about property ownership.
Basically you don't treat other men as your inferior or as property, nothing to actually do with homosexuality.
The  bible also hammers on about wearing clothes of different fabrics, divorce was condemned, you are not allowed to touch a woman for 7 days after her "monthlies". etc'.

In general it's used for arguments sake, so unless they want to kill all unmarried, non-virgin woman, those who are divorced and those who wear different fabrics, then they are talking out their posteriors and are being selective with the direction they point their hate and discrimination towards.

Besides, the bible was written in another time for a completely different society and then translated (Not accurately) for the western world, then people take quotes out of the book and use them literally, outside of it's intended context.

On the flip side, majority of "religions" don't actually have a meaning for "Gay/Homosexuality" or even an understanding of it (As Religion predates modern science), it was a term created relatively not long ago once the understanding of the "condition" increased and some of the stigma was proven false.

I personally beleive... That we all bleed the same colour of blood and we should *all* be treated the same, besides whose business is it anyway what goes on in the bedroom?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Aww, what a cute story. Somebody crown this guy Prom Queen already.

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Pemalite said:

Kasz216 said:

Sikhism, Hinduism, and Buddism all have their own anti-gay messages...  The common arguement is that despite a majority of Hindu and Buddist people against gay marriage they don't speak for all groups, though the same goes for Christians, as not all Christian Churches consider homosexuality a sin.

I've often heard people use the bible as an argument and more often than not use the line from Leviticus about a man laying with a man as it lays with a woman.
However, they take it out of context, back in those times men "owned" woman (Either husband, father etc'), like property, Leviticus was all about property ownership.
Basically you don't treat other men as your inferior or as property, nothing to actually do with homosexuality.
The  bible also hammers on about wearing clothes of different fabrics, divorce was condemned, you are not allowed to touch a woman for 7 days after her "monthlies". etc'.

In general it's used for arguments sake, so unless they want to kill all unmarried, non-virgin woman, those who are divorced and those who wear different fabrics, then they are talking out their posteriors and are being selective with the direction they point their hate and discrimination towards.

Besides, the bible was written in another time for a completely different society and then translated (Not accurately) for the western world, then people take quotes out of the book and use them literally, outside of it's intended context.

On the flip side, majority of "religions" don't actually have a meaning for "Gay/Homosexuality" or even an understanding of it (As Religion predates modern science), it was a term created relatively not long ago once the understanding of the "condition" increased and some of the stigma was proven false.

I personally beleive... That we all bleed the same colour of blood and we should *all* be treated the same, besides whose business is it anyway what goes on in the bedroom?

Hey, i'm not saying i agree with it.   I'm just saying that religions as a whole are pretty anti-homosexual... because society as a whole was pretty anti-homosexual back then in most areas.

It's intresting from an antrhopological reason.

It's weird when people... espiecally atehists blame religion as the origin of homophobia.

Becuase... if you don't believe in god, who wrote the homophobia?

When you look at ancient traditions of religions you can see how the nonsecular attitudes and needs at the time formed a lot of religious laws, customs and beliefs.

Or at least, that's a more favorable opinion then "People are born homophobic as an evolutionary defense and can't help it." opinion you get from most evolutionary biologists/psychologists.

Which is where homophobia will come from pretty heavily if religion fades away.

NightDragon83 said:

Just when I'm about to think that VGchartz is a great community, posts like this come up. Well done, man.

NightDragon83 said:

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

Heh, ok, this was pretty funny