By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Gay Arkansas student says his profile was pulled from yearbook

Do you think it's a big deal if a single person comes out?

Yes 19 12.75%

No 109 73.15%

In my community it would be. 9 6.04%

Maybe. 7 4.70%

Other (in comments) 5 3.36%

Total:149

Seriously? It's 2014 how does this happen?  His story he wanted to tell was about coming out, and how people were more supportive than he feared.  Even nearby Tennessee now has same sex marriage.

Gay Arkansas student says his profile was pulled from yearbook

By Ray Sanchez, CNN
updated 10:45 AM EDT, Thu March 20, 2014
Community rallies around gay student
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Taylor Ellis, 17, says officials killed the profile that told of his coming out
  • Yearbook's assistant editor: "It's big thing in Sheridan to be gay"
  • Superintendent: "We must make decisions that lead in the proper direction for all of our students"

(CNN) -- An Arkansas student says his high school is "history" after school officials pulled a profile of him from the school yearbook because he is openly gay.

Taylor Ellis, 17, told CNN affiliate KATV that Sheridan High School pulled seven student profiles from the Yellowjacket yearbook rather than publish an account based on his coming out.

"It's a big thing in Sheridan to be gay," the yearbook's assistant editor, Hannah Bruner, told KATV of why she profiled Ellis. "That something that doesn't get told a lot."

In a statement, Sheridan Superintendent Brenda Haynes said, "We must make decisions that lead in the proper direction for all of our students and for our community. We must not make decisions based on demands by any special interest group. The seven profiles will not be published in the yearbook."

She added, "We have reviewed state law, court cases, and our own policies. It is clear that the adults who have the responsibility for the operation of the District have the obligation to make decisions which are consistent with the mission of our school. We have done so."

The district decided to scrap the seven profiles rather than publish Ellis' story, Bruner said. To Ellis, the reason for taking out all the profiles was clear.

"We have a good idea why they're not going into the yearbook," he said. "They don't want to just throw out the gay kid's interview."

Ellis, who came out a year ago, said he didn't understand the decision.

"I'm already openly gay," he told KATV, "so there's no reason that it should affect how people see me."

Bruner's profile of Ellis said, in part, "Although the thought of coming out and the repercussions of doing so, frightened Ellis at first, he found that most of the student body, as well as the teachers, were very accepting of him."

Ellis' mother said the principal, Rodney Williams, contacted her.

"I didn't understand, because there had been no problems, so I ask him, 'have you had threats?' " Lynn Tiley told KATV. "He said, 'no, ma'am, just his well-being.' "

On Tuesday, representatives from a national civil rights organization staged a demonstration on the State Capitol steps in support of Ellis, KATV reported.

"This discriminatory exclusion by Sheridan High School administrators has nothing to do with Arkansas values," said Chad Griffin, president of the Human Rights Campaign.

On Wednesday, Williams was to receive a petition with more than 30,000 signatures asking that the decision be reversed, KATV reported.

The Human Rights Campaign urged Gov. Mike Beebe and the state's education commissioner, Tom Kimbrell, to intervene, but representatives of their offices said it was a matter for the local school district.

"They're history," Ellis said of his high school. "When I'm done with Sheridan, I'm done with Sheridan. I have one more year, and after that, I'll thank God every day that I'm not there anymore."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/19/us/arkansas-gay-student-yearbook/index.html

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network

Arent Yearbooks just headshots of the students with their name and a tagline? (i'm not from the US so I don't know)

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

I wish my picture wasn't in my yearbook... Not that my picture was bad or anything its just the people that designed the front page decided to put an emo vampire as the front cover... The worst thing is that some of them were my friends so I couldn't say anything bad, its just arghhh... We graded and when I have Jizz Jr., I will be embrassed to show him that

But anyway, yea thats lame that he got his profile pulled from the yearbook... Too bad

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I didn't get to write a story for my yearbook, I just had like 7 words under my picture. I don't remember if I said something witty or cheesy.

OT: Well this whole thing is pretty terrible. I guess the school was worried about offending certain students or something. Discrimination is an awful thing but like racism or sexism, it's something that will likely never be abolished. At least people are growing more accepting every day.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

NiKKoM said:
Arent Yearbooks just headshots of the students with their name and a tagline? (i'm not from the US so I don't know)

Sometimes.  Other times they have stories, quotes, dream, things they plan to do, dedications etc.

This was a story this kid had written about his fear of coming out, and then the reality which was much better than he thought it would be.  Support from friends and staff.  Sounds like a nice story.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network

That's messed up. It still amazes me that people care about what other people do with their lives.

Why does it matter if it doesn't affect you.

Those of you that said Maybe in the poll, please explain.

I purposely made it say 'single' person because I think it's a big deal if a married person come out and that doesn't need an explanation. But like if my single friend or neighbor came out, I would be like, 'Ok, thanks for sharing, want to play Sports Rivals?'

Tell me a funny joke!

Zappykins said:
NiKKoM said:

Sometimes.  Other times they have stories, quotes, dream, things they plan to do, dedications etc.

This was a story this kid had written about his fear of coming out, and then the reality which was much better than he thought it would be.  Support from friends and staff.  Sounds like a nice story.

A thanks.. I only se e those yearbooks on tv and movies.. So there were 7 students with there stories and 1 of them gay?

But all 7 students were scrapped? If it would happen in the Netherlands it would have been called budget cuts cause 8 pages rank up to a few 1000s dollars in extra costs depending on how many yearbooks there will be printed.. Its quite silly how in the US gay people are treated.. It sometime baffles me..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:
Zappykins said:
NiKKoM said:

A thanks.. I only se e those yearbooks on tv and movies.. So there were 7 students with there stories and 1 of them gay?

But all 7 students were scrapped? If it would happen in the Netherlands it would have been called budget cuts cause 8 pages rank up to a few 1000s dollars in extra costs depending on how many yearbooks there will be printed.. Its quite silly how in the US gay people are treated.. It sometime baffles me..

According to what I understand, there were a bunch of stories, but 7 were scrapped.  And the people said they never scrap them over the years, but they didn't want 'the gay kid's story' to be the only one.

The US getting better toward treatment of gay people.  Gay rights usually follow women's rights and we still having added equal right to the US constution (largely in part to the LDS Church and Mormons - the same ones who have been fighting against gay rights and same sex marriage.)  Women's rights usually follow minority rights, and in the LDS people of colour weren't considered fully human till 1972.

Note: The LDS Church and Members have spend hundrends of millions of dollars fighting against civil rights for the past 50+ years.  I realize not all LDS and Mormons are bad. 

Tell me a funny joke!

So wait, they scrapped all of the seven stories? Not just Ellis'? Did the people who scrapped all the stories blatantly say that they scrapped them because one of the stories was about homosexuality?

If so, this is kind of ridiculous. Especially considering his High School was accepting of him.