By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Gay Arkansas student says his profile was pulled from yearbook

Do you think it's a big deal if a single person comes out?

Yes 19 12.75%

No 109 73.15%

In my community it would be. 9 6.04%

Maybe. 7 4.70%

Other (in comments) 5 3.36%

Total:149

think it is. Gay people like myself have been growing around people who like to bully a lot and gay has been the key word to insult someone. In my area Indians are dominant and being one their views are very very traditional and they will try to pray the gay out. So in a situation like mine I think it was a big deal because it was only recently when i moved inTo college where I came out and got tons of support from friends vs the jerks from home. Some people see such bigotry and hate in their childhoods that yes its a big deal when coming out and its definitely the same if not worse in the south compared to my situation. If he poured his heart out on his story just for it to be ignored u know how a person feels?

Around the Network
t3mporary_126 said:
Zappykins said:
supernihilist said:
Omg
Barney from How i met your mother is gay?!?

I know right?  Who would think, a male actor who sings and dances and went out with my friend Shawna.

Poor Shawna, another one turned gay on her.

Lol and dang that sucks for her if true XD

Sadly, for her it's true.  Just one more and she has the trifecta!

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

NYCrysis said:

think it is. Gay people like myself have been growing around people who like to bully a lot and gay has been the key word to insult someone. In my area Indians are dominant and being one their views are very very traditional and they will try to pray the gay out. So in a situation like mine I think it was a big deal because it was only recently when i moved inTo college where I came out and got tons of support from friends vs the jerks from home. Some people see such bigotry and hate in their childhoods that yes its a big deal when coming out and its definitely the same if not worse in the south compared to my situation. If he poured his heart out on his story just for it to be ignored u know how a person feels?

I am assuming you mean India Indian, right?

Yes, I know many, well several, Indians here and their parents wanted to put them in arranged marraiges.  So they don't even really respect a hetero person's choice to marry.  Plus India still has a long way to go on gay rights.

Do you know if the homophobia is traditional or something put upon by the English?  Like in the US States, whe have Native American people, and many of them looked up to and honored gay people.  They thought of them as a special spirit that was a combination of male and female.  Others had it as nothing unusual if two men or two women wanted to be together, but might call one the 'wife' and the other the 'husband.'

Yes, that's my understanding, wrote a good story, and it was rejected because it was about being gay.

Hey, glad you came out and found nice friends.  I hope you can get more support back home as people realize it's as normal as being left handed. 

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Honestly, I do not understand for the life of me why the gay community feels the need to let the world know they are gay.

You like men and you are a man? Fine. The world doesn't NEED the know.
You like women and you are a woman? Fine. The world doesn't NEED to know.

I think that is my main issue with this whole thing. They are gay. They are proud of it. I think that is fine, and applaud that they are happy with their choice, but I don't want it to constantly be thrown in my face.

This comes from a person who grew up with a bisexual sister who eventually chose a man and a brother who now considers himself a female, with full name change and pills to help aid in his change, so don't give me any sort of shit. I understand this better than most.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
Honestly, I do not understand for the life of me why the gay community feels the need to let the world know they are gay.

I think that is my main issue with this whole thing. They are gay. They are proud of it. I think that is fine, and applaud that they are happy with their choice, but I don't want it to constantly be thrown in my face.

This comes from a person who grew up with a bisexual sister who eventually chose a man and a brother who now considers himself a female, with full name change and pills to help aid in his change, so don't give me any sort of shit. I understand this better than most.

I'm sure you understand it better than a lot of people, but I'm surprised you don't see the need for the them to tell other people. I, for one, don't care and never make a big deal of my sexuality to my friends. But I applaud those who do when they are trying to send a message to others who struggle with their sexuality. Things are better than they used to be a few decades, even a few years ago, but still extremely hard on some people. I bet the guy knew some closeted guys in his school and wanted to show them that it's ok to come out. As in, he, too, was afraid but got more support than he expected.

Just my two cents.

Around the Network
naruball said:
Euphoria14 said:

I'm sure you understand it better than a lot of people, but I'm surprised you don't see the need for the them to tell other people. I, for one, don't care and never make a big deal of my sexuality to my friends. But I applaud those who do when they are trying to send a message to others who struggle with their sexuality. Things are better than they used to be a few decades, even a few years ago, but still extremely hard on some people. I bet the guy knew some closeted guys in his school and wanted to show them that it's ok to come out. As in, he, too, was afraid but got more support than he expected.

Just my two cents.

I don't understand the need. I also don't like it being thrown in my face as if I am supposed to care.

My brother, born Jason, now Christina feels the need to constantly tell me of the guys he is with, although he tries to tell us they are women. I don't need to know these things. Just do what people normally do. Tell us you are in a happy relationship with someone you care for.

No need for "I really like this person, but he is a transgender (This is what he calls it) and I want people to know who we are and if they don't like it, so what?".

Is that TRULY necessary? Why not just be together, love eachother and let that be that? Why constantly throw it in people's faces? Am I somehow supposed to care? Do what you want to do.

That is the issue with this article. Is the school wrong for removing his coming out from the yearbook? No.

A yearbook isn't for someone to come and let the world know he is gay. He is only choosing to be an attention seeker. 

He is gay. Big whoop. Tell him to live his life the way he wants. No need to try and make a yearbook about himself. He isn't any more important than anyone else in that book.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Considering how bad most yearbook shots look...the school probably did him a favor

In my personal opinion, no. It's not a big deal for me if someone comes out as gay. Not even if my son or daughter did that, or anyone else in my family or close friends. But sadly it's a big deal almost everywhere in the world. Being bullied and made fun of for being gay is "normal", somehow. It's a strange world where people can't just accept others for who they are.

And China is also very conservative, so gay marriage is not allowed here. And I don't think that a gay couple can adopt either, but I am not sure about that one.

Euphoria14 said:

That is the issue with this article. Is the school wrong for removing his coming out from the yearbook? No.

A yearbook isn't for someone to come and let the world know he is gay. He is only choosing to be an attention seeker. 

He is gay. Big whoop. Tell him to live his life the way he wants. No need to try and make a yearbook about himself. He isn't any more important than anyone else in that book.

This is what I was coming in to say. A yearbook isn't a spot for see how many people you can get to give you attention. 

I struggle to believe his motives were worth any praise or merit.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Zappykins said:
NYCrysis said:

I am assuming you mean India Indian, right?

Yes, I know many, well several, Indians here and their parents wanted to put them in arranged marraiges.  So they don't even really respect a hetero person's choice to marry.  Plus India still has a long way to go on gay rights.

Do you know if the homophobia is traditional or something put upon by the English?  Like in the US States, whe have Native American people, and many of them looked up to and honored gay people.  They thought of them as a special spirit that was a combination of male and female.  Others had it as nothing unusual if two men or two women wanted to be together, but might call one the 'wife' and the other the 'husband.'

Yes, that's my understanding, wrote a good story, and it was rejected because it was about being gay.

Hey, glad you came out and found nice friends.  I hope you can get more support back home as people realize it's as normal as being left handed. 

lol i lived in queens and moved to albany for college. but my neighborhood is predominantly indian (india). ive cut ties with my old life and dont bother with the indian community been both bullied and ignored by them too much.