By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Developer: PS 4 VR Headset is BETTER than Oculus Rift. - First Demos : Thief,EVE....

It looks so sexy.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network
JazzB1987 said:
its limited to a limited device tho (console)

So Oculus Rift wins.

Not a really good argument imo. The unified environment of PS4 might actually increase the number and quality of titles available for VR. Of course the highest end user will always find it better on PC, but some people don't realise that it takes a little bit of tinkering to get the best out of OR right now. Morpheus will be plug and play and standardised and that's a big plus.

And you will have new OR iterations that essentially ensure that you won't ever "win" because someone out there will be playing it in a superior way.

It's not about winning. It's about the VR landscape growing to offer a wealth of options to users.

OT: The latest OR is better than the Morpheus that's been shown - and that is a fact. But even that fact may change.

People are way too hasty. This is going to be an interesting ride, and making rash statements so early regarding any of this will most likely only lead to embarrassment later on.

EDIT: And taking your statement literally also reveals that you are somehow unaware that the PC is also a limited device. No one you or I know can run Battlefield 4 @ Ultra with 4k res and 120fps can they? I get what you are saying, but the phrasing is wrong. Consoles iterate slower than PCs - end of story.

EDIT2: What gives the PC environment the major edge is the modding community.

VR is VR, and either way I'm excited. Competition is always good. We all know that the consumer version of OR will be superior, the question is how Morpheus will keep up and if it will be affordable for the average gamer.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Djoeru said:
Only the marketing campaign and the price will matter at the end. If it seems simple to use and not too expensive, the concept will dominate over the quality of the product. Just like the 1st Wii did have incredible sales with it's concept. Not too expensive PS4 bundles with this headset and the PS Eye inside will be the key, if the purpose is to democratize this technologie anyway.

How is;

- A state-of-the-art virtual reality headset that serves as an addon to an already released console that is

- The most powerful console on the market and

- It will function with games that don't even need it to begin with, i.e. it's not necessary at all

in any way like

- A weak-by-comparison console that became extroardinarily popular due to

- A tantalizing price tag,

- A new way of controlling games that doesn't intimitate casuals, and a most of all a *drumrol*

- Pack in game that appeals to all

?

This is new. It's an optional, additional experience that will (hopefully) be part of the PS family permanently from now on.

Zappykins said:
SvennoJ said:

Yes Morpheus and Crystal cove have a 1920x1080 screen, shared for both eyes, thus 960x1080 per eye.

However Sony specifically stated 1920xRGBx1080
I wondered why mention RGB until I found out Crystal cove uses a non-RGB subpixel matrix, PenTile (RG,BG)
From Wikipedia: The green subpixels are mapped to input pixels on a one to one basis. The red and blue subpixels are subsampled, reconstructing the chroma signal at a lower resolution ....... Thus the RG-BG scheme creates a color display with one third fewer subpixels than a traditional RGB-RGB scheme but with the same measured luminance display resolution.

One third less subpixels would be 1920x1080 green pixels, 960x1080 red and 960x1080 blue pixels to match that picture.
Or 1920x540 red and blue, just depends on how you count it, in total the blue and red pixels are only half as many as green pixels.

Might be smart for mobile phone displays, but doesn't sound like a good idea to blow it up to huge sizes and it already has to be shared between eyes.

Wow, that is both disappointing, and once again, not 1080p if each eye doesn’t get a 1920x1080p signal.  Call it ‘half eighty P’ or something.

And you are right.  An aprox is a 720p TV which looks nice at 32”, but if expanded to your entire field of view in VR it might not look that good.  OR challenges this, buy having you move your head around and tracking that – so you get a big 180 degree experience.  Even there, though they want higher resolution.

It's making a good VR headset look like it might not come out this year. :(

You've got to start somewhere, and dual 1080p at 60fps is not in the cards for ps4 anyway. The pc could, but the whole point of using these inferior cellphone screens is to keep the costs down. A dual 1080p full RGB OLED version would probably be $1500 and it still would only look like 360p.
It's not that the tech doesn't exist, my projecter has 3 x 0.7" LCD 1920x1080, no noticeable latency or ghosting, perfect color, all since 2007. If they can achieve that kind of dpi in 2007, 4K 5" LCD screens should be a cakewalk right now.

Still you get ps2 level dpi, with ps4 level graphics. So for anyone wanting to trade in (perceived) resolution for performance, this is your wish come through. One thing is for certain, frame rate drops and screen tear will break VR faster than falling down the stairs with the thing on. (Oh what fun legal disclaimer is going to come with it)

Around the Network
Shaunaka said:
The thread title is very misleading.

Morpheus is NOT better than the latest OR shown. If it wasn't better than the FIRS OR then everyone would be very worried. Hence the statement carries no inherent weight. It's just a crowd puller.

In other words I don't like it.

OR will be better than Morpheus. Most people agree on this. Morpheus will be amazing in it's own right, but this thread title is distasteful for the reasons I've mentioned.

Morpheus is not worse either. Some reports say they prefer it to Crystal Cove/DK2 and some say they don't.

Also I'd be shocked if OR ends up better than PM, unless those guys decide to make an "elite" version that goes well above their current price plans. Going into this VR "war" Sony has every advantage over the OR guys, except for running on a limited power console. Unlike OR they can mass produce it and already have the connections to do so in place. They can use in house screens, processors, etc. They also have much more experience in the field of head mounted displays and VR. They may be in a tight situation, but they still have much more money to spend on R&D too. Plus they can follow the console strategy and lose money on the unit/just break even and then make a large profit with software. Either the consumer version of it will be much better than OC and similar in price or similar in quality but much cheaper.

Shaunaka said:
Djoeru said:
Only the marketing campaign and the price will matter at the end. If it seems simple to use and not too expensive, the concept will dominate over the quality of the product. Just like the 1st Wii did have incredible sales with it's concept. Not too expensive PS4 bundles with this headset and the PS Eye inside will be the key, if the purpose is to democratize this technologie anyway.

How is;

- A state-of-the-art virtual reality headset that serves as an addon to an already released console that is

- The most powerful console on the market and

- It will function with games that don't even need it to begin with, i.e. it's not necessary at all

in any way like

- A weak-by-comparison console that became extroardinarily popular due to

- A tantalizing price tag,

- A new way of controlling games that doesn't intimitate casuals, and a most of all a *drumrol*

- Pack in game that appeals to all

?

This is new. It's an optional, additional experience that will (hopefully) be part of the PS family permanently from now on.

Sounds good to me xD

I think i would also say something like "VR has been a long dream that finally come true".

the-pi-guy said:
Zappykins said:

Wow, that is both disappointing, and once again, not 1080p if each eye doesn’t get a 1920x1080p signal.  Call it ‘half eighty P’ or something.

And you are right.  An aprox is a 720p TV which looks nice at 32”, but if expanded to your entire field of view in VR it might not look that good.  OR challenges this, buy having you move your head around and tracking that – so you get a big 180 degree experience.  Even there, though they want higher resolution.

It's making a good VR headset look like it might not come out this year. :(

So, if you're watching on a 1080p TV, and you close one eye, it is no longer considered 1080p?  

Because according to your logic, one eye in that case doesn't get the 1080p signal, so it is no longer 1080p.  

It is the count of the number of pixels, not what your eye sees.  

If you stand behind an HDTV, does it become a 0p display?  

No, you aren't understanding how it works. 

If you close one eye you are still seeing 1920x1080p picture.  If you are watching a 1080p TV and cover half the TV with paper,  then you can't see a 1080p picture anymore.

They are sacrificing half the pixels.  So each eye is only seeing half of the TV screen so your resolution is halved. 

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Shaunaka said:
JazzB1987 said:
its limited to a limited device tho (console)

So Oculus Rift wins.

Not a really good argument imo. The unified environment of PS4 might actually increase the number and quality of titles available for VR. Of course the highest end user will always find it better on PC, but some people don't realise that it takes a little bit of tinkering to get the best out of OR right now. Morpheus will be plug and play and standardised and that's a big plus.

And you will have new OR iterations that essentially ensure that you won't ever "win" because someone out there will be playing it in a superior way.

It's not about winning. It's about the VR landscape growing to offer a wealth of options to users.

OT: The latest OR is better than the Morpheus that's been shown - and that is a fact. But even that fact may change.

People are way too hasty. This is going to be an interesting ride, and making rash statements so early regarding any of this will most likely only lead to embarrassment later on.

EDIT: And taking your statement literally also reveals that you are somehow unaware that the PC is also a limited device. No one you or I know can run Battlefield 4 @ Ultra with 4k res and 120fps can they? I get what you are saying, but the phrasing is wrong. Consoles iterate slower than PCs - end of story.

EDIT2: What gives the PC environment the major edge is the modding community.

No matter what will come out on PS4 you just simply dont have the multimedia functionality of a PC.  You also dont have 1 billion open source programms and you also dont have a modding community. I am pretty sure I wont be able to play retro or a new games that just missed the VR "revolution" by a few months or weeks for free on PS4  They will probably make you pay.

JoeTheBro said:
Shaunaka said:
The thread title is very misleading.

Morpheus is NOT better than the latest OR shown. If it wasn't better than the FIRS OR then everyone would be very worried. Hence the statement carries no inherent weight. It's just a crowd puller.

In other words I don't like it.

OR will be better than Morpheus. Most people agree on this. Morpheus will be amazing in it's own right, but this thread title is distasteful for the reasons I've mentioned.

Morpheus is not worse either. Some reports say they prefer it to Crystal Cove/DK2 and some say they don't.

I think you're reading very biased reports.

In terms of screen display - the ONLY thing that matters here - DK2 is better in every important way: Resolution, Angle of view, refresh rate etc.